[Video] Open letter from community to Elite Dangerous

FDEV are dammed if they do dammed if they don't.

If they lay out posiible future content/roadmap/hopesanddreams and then, as it often is, things have to change we get a whole load of 'you broke your promiss' type stuff. If they don't they get well this type of thread.

This patch mess up is a bit of a weird one, it would be nice to know why the wheel fell off. If it was because of ARX, which it could be because the earning ARX mechanics means it interacts with just about everything, then would a beta have helped? Can you beta an ingame currency? You would need two systems running in parallel, cash shop and ARX for those in beta.

If I'd been FDEV I would have been tempted to say 'although this patch is small in content it is wide reaching and could have unforseen circumstances, please be patient and here have some ARX to play with whilst we bed it in'. Don't know if that would have kept the toys in the pram though.

Anyway I suspect FDEV have worked out the best way to deal with this is to just wait it out until the next shiney bauble or outrage inducing event comes along and we all forget and move on to that.

You know one think i think FD are forgetting. The community, certain members, me included took part in a Kickstarter campaign that raised over £1.5 million pounds to throw at FD to help develop the game. Some say on this thread we (the players) are not entitled to anything and we should be thankful when the devs throw us a bone or two, bearing in mind since Horizons, nobody has paid a bean to play the game apart from maybe a few cosmetic purchases, which are obviously optional.

I have to disagree with the not entitled sentiment. One thing, and one thing only i am entitled to, is to be able to play the game, without having to constantly restart the game during a session, due to game breaking bugs that litter ED, and i'm on PC. They are getting worse judging by the Greek tragedies taking place with my console brothers, some of whom can't even login to play the game. Believe me when i say i am entitled to play the game, it's what i contributed to, it's what i expect to be able to do, without having to put myself through the latest patch, and find a load more gameplay issues that just add to the previous collection of not working features.

I honestly don't care who comes on from the devs and tells me there's a roadmap, and maybe the tiniest of hints about what is coming and how well everyone is communicating with each other because that is clearly not so. It's the wrong type of communication. We'd like some of the features that are already in game to actually work, without crashing the game. Actually complete certain features in the game so they work as intended instead of only half working. Too much of that going on i'm afraid from FD. Half finished ideas, that really need sorting out, instead of patches that just create even more issues, it's not funny. Communicate to us when these will be fixed, and we'll all be happy.

So to the devs, communicate with us when you are going to fix these issues, current and long standing, initiate regular bug fixes in weekly patches, that would really raise morale in the community and actually mend the broken trust that is clearly there at the moment. Don't just spend the money we gave you to buy pizzas, actually give us a product you can be proud of, so we can be proud to play it.

I began playing this game 6-27-17. The day it released on PS4. I believe it was $40.
In this time (short compared to many) I have watched the game evolve quite a bit. Many things have been added. Sometimes the road was bumpy, but it was all for my $40.
Some of the things they added I didnt like. Some of the ways they went about it I didnt like. Sometimes I couldnt even play because it was so jacked up from an update.
One thing cannot be denied though. FDev has never turned their backs on this game. The game is very different than it was when I first gave them $40. In another 2 years, I have no doubt that it will be a very different game than it is today. I could have been stuck with a pre horizons game forever.
I will wait in all my white knighyness. Its not like there is a better game out there anyway, and frankly, I kinda like all the drama that surrounds every update ;)
Now, had I been an original lifetime backer, I think a level of frustration may creep in. That said, "lifetime" of this game is not anywhere near done.

You know one think i think FD are forgetting. The community, certain members, me included took part in a Kickstarter campaign that raised over £1.5 million pounds to throw at FD to help develop the game. Some say on this thread we (the players) are not entitled to anything and we should be thankful when the devs throw us a bone or two, bearing in mind since Horizons, nobody has paid a bean to play the game apart from maybe a few cosmetic purchases, which are obviously optional.

I have to disagree with the not entitled sentiment. One thing, and one thing only i am entitled to, is to be able to play the game, without having to constantly restart the game during a session, due to game breaking bugs that litter ED, and i'm on PC. They are getting worse judging by the Greek tragedies taking place with my console brothers, some of whom can't even login to play the game. Believe me when i say i am entitled to play the game, it's what i contributed to, it's what i expect to be able to do, without having to put myself through the latest patch, and find a load more gameplay issues that just add to the previous collection of not working features.

I honestly don't care who comes on from the devs and tells me there's a roadmap, and maybe the tiniest of hints about what is coming and how well everyone is communicating with each other because that is clearly not so. It's the wrong type of communication. We'd like some of the features that are already in game to actually work, without crashing the game. Actually complete certain features in the game so they work as intended instead of only half working. Too much of that going on i'm afraid from FD. Half finished ideas, that really need sorting out, instead of patches that just create even more issues, it's not funny. Communicate to us when these will be fixed, and we'll all be happy.

So to the devs, communicate with us when you are going to fix these issues, current and long standing, initiate regular bug fixes in weekly patches, that would really raise morale in the community and actually mend the broken trust that is clearly there at the moment. Don't just spend the money we gave you to buy pizzas, actually give us a product you can be proud of, so we can be proud to play it.

That £1.5m is long gone, it ain't going to pay for weekly bug patches etc. You can't really believe they spent it on pizzas, we all know DB spent it on booze, fast cars and faster women (he wasted the rest) ;)

Thanks Zimms, what parts of the communications did you not agree with specifically?

I think folks want to see concrete change Zac. They want more beta testing, a public beta test server, and so on. Frontier made a BIG ask to the community to wait to 2H2020 for the next big content update. I think many were hoping that at the very least some existing parts of the game (Powerplay, missions, balance, bugs, etc). that need attention very badly would get some love and fixes in the meantime. This hasn’t happened and many long-time players who love and support this game (and buy cosmetics to support this game and would gladly give you money to fix the game) are feeling very frustrated. That’s certainly how I feel.

Waiting for the 2020 update would have been a lot easier if the game itself were in a better state. The game is not in a good state today and that is a huge problem.

Thanks Zimms, what parts of the communications did you not agree with specifically?

Basically it comes down to my personal wish to have more/more detailed info on the upcoming content.

I heard your reasons why you want to wait a bit longer with any details, and I can understand your point of view. But for me personally, as a player, it often feels a bit vague. Even with FCs for example. Even though we have had two info dumps on those, and we definitely have a clearer picture now, there are still so many questions left, regarding the actual gameplay.

The 2020 update is obviously still a very long time away, but other than it's going to be big, we don't really know much.

I understand that the game is now in a very different point in its life and development cycle, but I still wish we'd get those awesome dev diaries and sneak peeks. Maybe we'll see a return of those next year. ;) wink, wink

I'm one of the long time players of Elite dangerous (and indeed, all the elite games).

To put it bluntly....... I'm not disappointed with the content being delayed, I'm just puzzled by the arx thing.. but hey... anything for a bobblehead*

We've got fleet carriers coming , apart from the jump range, me and my AspX cant see the point really. what I'd like to see is a bit more 'teaser' content being released for next years PAID** update , plus some juicey info on thargoid intentions... will they offer a peace treaty... will they be back in more force to exterminate humanity.... will we see the sector 70 permit lock released.... Fdev dont have to give us all the details..... but enough to make us go "hmm" and then flood the forum with conspiracy theories ... and reddit and facebook and discord.
But to everyone with a grumble ... remember the hardest part about making any game is "Is it fun?"
Which is why I want planets with atmospheres and cities much more than space legs***

Bill

*Especially if its a kerbal bobblehead
** take my money
***imagine the fun being chased by the cops around capital after dropping 100 tons of biowaste on the imperial palace :D

Personally I'd be quite happy to see the return of the dev diary and the occasional sneak peek of content already revealed (looking at you carriers).

Yeah, to be honest, the carrier "reveal" didn't actually say... Anything.

Every single thing written, said, or shown was specifically designed (it seems) to contain as little information as possible.

The original "reveal" which was the word carrier and a cool few second animation, gave almost the same amount of information as the "proper reveal"

The sum of that information being "carriers will exist, and they will do stuff, and cost stuff."

If Zac is reading this, I think a lot of these complaints would go away if there was a little more substance to these "reveals"

"A large amount of credits" is pointless to say.

"Support ships" still means almost nothing.

"Unique fuel required" tells us very little of use.

If there is only one model for the carrier, and the visual and gameplay difference is only through the carrier ship, say so.

If it's just a mobile space station and uses all the same UI (with some tweaks?) Say so!

Last edited:
Yeah, to be honest, the carrier "reveal" didn't actually say... Anything.

Every single thing written, said, or shown was specifically designed (it seems) to contain as little information as possible.

The original "reveal" which was the word carrier and a cool few second animation, gave almost the same amount as the "proper reveal"
I mean, it was a reveal, not a documentary.

Top Bottom