General / Off-Topic Recycle or Die! (the elite environmental thread)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'm planning a cruise to see glacier calving next summer with my wife and youngest son.

Do you all think I'll have the best viewing at Hubbard Glacier in AK, or should I go somehere else?

I've backpacked in Glacier National park and I understand most of those snow/ice patches are gone now. Kind of like to take in the sights while they are still available.

My current plan is to fly into Seattle and then take the Cruise ship from there. Do you think I'll have better viewing if I charter a smaller boat near HG, or just take the cruise ship?

I feel that this would be a good education for my son. It won't be as extravagant as a carbon fiber sailing yacht across the atlantic, or a battery-powered Jaguar, but it will be something he can tell his children about. Thoughts?

You should probably just stay at home and look at it on the Internet, that way you will reduce your carbon footprint and save the planet \o/

Sure, hence, I said science doesn't provide "facts". That doesn't mean there aren't facts without dispute, for example, the current president of the USA is Donald Trump, that's a fact.
Really now, there are millions of democrats in the US that disagree with you, and insist he is not the legally elected president.

You should probably just stay at home and look at it on the Internet, that way you will reduce your carbon footprint and save the planet \o/
I thought the same way until I took a 25 foot boat to within 100 yards of an active lava flow. The burst of heat, the smell of sulfuric acid, the thud of the aa lava chunks exploding into black sand as they hit the water simply cannot be replicated through video. Glacial calving is on my bucket list. Gotta check it out.

I thought the same way until I took a 25 foot boat to within 100 yards of an active lava flow. The burst of heat, the smell of sulfuric acid, the thud of the aa lava chunks exploding into black sand as they hit the water simply cannot be replicated through video. Glacial calving is on my bucket list. Gotta check it out.
Seeking to experience the world first hand? How dare you!

They can dislike him as much as they wish, he's still the elected president.
Totally agree with you. I wish they did too. Facts are facts to people that agree that they they are facts. I think it's safer for everyone to live within probabilities so we can at least talk about things.

I watched a discussion at UCSD between two climate scientists that were emotionally attached to their personal perspectives on the number watts/m^2 incident on the surface of the earth at a particular latitude. It was clear that this was not a dispassionate discussion between academics. It was war.

I saw the same thing at a presentation at the Institute for Theoretical Physics in Santa Barbara between Hawking, and a few prominent string theorists. There was a veneer of friendliness, but some real disagreement between these luminaries.

Anyone that tells you science on something is settled (like quantum mechanics or climate science) is not doing science.

Anyone that uses science to take away civil rights is the most terrifying kind of person I can imagine.

Pretty much most of the decently sourced articles in this thread are directly related to the issues around AGW, be it directly related or not (for instance the issues of plastics in our environment is related to the oil industries activities etc). We just live in a world that has obvious boundaries (a 100KM deep atmosphere for example) and the more we transform things around us (through industrial process like oil extraction or plastic production etc) without care for the environmental damage it can cause, the more we get these scientific records to highlight the danger we are putting ourselves, and life in general on this planet, in.

'Hundreds of temperature records broken over summer':

Almost 400 all-time high temperatures were set in the northern hemisphere over the summer, according to an analysis of temperature records.

The records were broken in 29 countries for the period from 1 May to 30 August this year.

A third of the all-time high temperatures were in Germany, followed by France and the Netherlands.

The analysis was carried out by the California-based climate institute Berkeley Earth.

Over the summer, there were 1,200 instances of places in the northern hemisphere being the hottest they'd ever been in a given month.

For me all this is not so much depressing as just a series of statements of scientific facts that we all need to be more aware of, as ultimately we are all driving these changes by our actions and choices. We need to change our behaviors and that starts first with understanding and accepting the facts that scientists can show us the evidence for. This series of evidence just overwhelmingly supports that AGW is real, some people don't like that, but they are just wrong (factually).

Last edited:
Pretty much most of the decently sourced articles in this thread are directly related to the issues around AGW, be it directly related or not (for instance the issues of plastics in our environment is related to the oil industries activities etc). We just live in a world that has obvious boundaries (a 100KM deep atmosphere for example) and the more we transform things around us (through industrial process like oil extraction or plastic production etc) without care for the environmental damage it can cause, the more we get these scientific records to highlight the danger we are putting ourselves, and life in general on this planet, in.

'Hundreds of temperature records broken over summer':

For me all this is not so much depressing as just a series of statements of scientific facts that we all need to be more aware of, as ultimately we are all driving these changes by our actions and choices. We need to change our behaviors and that starts first with understanding and accepting the facts that scientists can show us the evidence for. This series of evidence just overwhelmingly supports that AGW is real, some people don't like that, but they are just wrong (factually).
Currently there is a heat wave in the United States. Yesterday on TV I saw that in Alabama the temperature is well above of the normal of seasons.

But for some Americans, global warming is a hoax ...

I'd click that video on the off chance it's not total nonsense, but I don't want want to give the Russian propaganda and misinformation network any views.

Yep, because anything that goes against the official party line is total nonsense amiright? Can't let that into your head. Have you ever heard the phrase "You've guzzled the Koolaid" by any chance?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom