Crossplay

Just to let everyone know that Sony announced this week that Crossplay is now available on the PS4 in any game! So now its just about the game developers if they want to implement it. I personally think this would be a great add on to Elite Dangerous. First I'd want to see crossplay between the PS4 and XBOX, but im also quite open for the idea of crossplay between PC as well - even though they have huge advantages in the matters of PVP etc..

Anyway, what you guys think and do you see Frontier making this happen?

Source: https://www.psu.com/news/sony-ps4-cross-play-out-of-beta-now-available-to-all-developers/
Also Obsidianant mentioned this in his latest ED 3305

I really want cross-play so that my PS4 alt-CMDR Jenny can join my PC CMDR Old Duck in the copilot's seat. Finally these larger ships would feel less lonely, and I could use the PS4 to film my space battles using the external camera!

I'm now extra glad I didn't wipe my PS4 saves for a few extra credits on PC :D

Just to let everyone know that Sony announced this week that Crossplay is now available on the PS4 in any game!

The article is actually saying the Crossplay is now available to all developers.
Which it would imply that games would need to be specifically patched up for Crossplay.

Game development and no-brainer do not go well together. Nasty things might result

The article is actually saying the Crossplay is now available to all developers.
Which it would imply that games would need to be specifically patched up for Crossplay.

Game development and no-brainer do not go well together. Nasty things might result

Surely though its just servers talking to each other, with Sony, MS and Amazon connecting to each other directly (i.e. its all backend stuff that FD do not see)?

It's ok - I guess not everyone works in s/w and that explains all the 'how difficult can this be?' posts

Well, what obstacles are there then? If a P2P game that to the layman like me is separated by what seems like arbitrary corporate barriers, what would happen if console players mixed with PC players when the game is set up to network with any close player in the same mode? Surely once once everyone is pooled together the P2P takes care of the rest?

Surely though its just servers talking to each other, with Sony, MS and Amazon connecting to each other directly (i.e. its all backend stuff that FD do not see)?
People will tell you that this is "hard", but there was a game released not long ago that accidentally allowed cross-play between XBox and PS4. The developers had to do extra work to turn it OFF, due to the stupid policies of the day. So it can't be that hard, can it?

I really want cross-play so that my PS4 alt-CMDR Jenny can join my PC CMDR Old Duck in the copilot's seat. Finally these larger ships would feel less lonely, and I could use the PS4 to film my space battles using the external camera!

I'm now extra glad I didn't wipe my PS4 saves for a few extra credits on PC :D

Not sure 'cross play' means you can play as both 'Jenny' at the weekends and 'Old Duck' during the week...

I think it just means you can see PC players on Ps4 and vice versa..

😘

Not sure 'cross play' means you can play as both 'Jenny' at the weekends and 'Old Duck' during the week...

I think it just means you can see PC players on Ps4 and vice versa..
I already can play Jenny during the weekends Duck during the week. I didn't sell my PS4. If I can "see" PS4 players on my PC, then I'll be able to see MY PS4 CMDR on my PC. Of course that raises the question as to what "see" will actually mean. Will cross-platform multicrew be supported, for example? That's what I'll need to do what I want.

Top Bottom