Ships with proper ship bridges, not upscaled cockpits

I think we need ships with proper bridges, not just upscaled cockpits. At a certain point a ship becomes too large for a cockpit and it throws the sense of scale off. They are ships when they are large, not aircraft.

See this ship? Cockpit looks like it can seat two pilots comfortably. You can almost imagine seeing them through the window. Looks like the size of a modern private jet or small commercial airliner.

J7tuRWt.jpg

The cockpit gives a sense of its size. Or does it...

Look at the cockpit size of the airliner. Look at the ship it's compared with for size. I think most of my apartment can fit in the Asp Scout's "cockpit".

Even the Beluga suffers from this. That cockpit area down below looks like it can seat a few pilots. It's certainly bigger than the Cutter's cockpit. Maybe four to six pilots and copilots down there judging from those side windows. But nope, this ship is nearly the size of a modern ocean cruise ship. So why the comically enormous cockpit instead of a proper bridge?

Ships have bridges. Aircraft have cockpits. This game's small and some medium ships are the proper size for cockpits. The large ships aren't.

Anaconda and Corvette come closest to having proper ship bridges. "Proper" is a subjective term but they do seem to take some inspiration from the battleships of old:

But too many ships in this game look like upscaled versions of small craft. They give a warped sense of scale. The Cutter in my opinion is the worst offender, as beautiful as it is. The cockpit and general design of the ship make it look small.

I think we need ships with proper bridges, not just upscaled cockpits. At a certain point a ship becomes too large for a cockpit and it throws the sense of scale off. They are ships when they are large, not aircraft.

See this ship? Cockpit looks like it can seat two pilots comfortably. You can almost imagine seeing them through the window. Looks like the size of a modern private jet or small commercial airliner.

J7tuRWt.jpg

The cockpit gives a sense of its size. Or does it...

View attachment 147105

Look at the cockpit size of the airliner. Look at the ship it's compared with for size. I think most of my apartment can fit in the Asp Scout's "cockpit".

Even the Beluga suffers from this. That cockpit area down below looks like it can seat a few pilots. It's certainly bigger than the Cutter's cockpit. Maybe four to six pilots and copilots down there judging from those side windows. But nope, this ship is nearly the size of a modern ocean cruise ship. So why the comically enormous cockpit instead of a proper bridge?

View attachment 147101

Ships have bridges. Aircraft have cockpits. This game's small and some medium ships are the proper size for cockpits. The large ships aren't.

Anaconda and Corvette come closest to having proper ship bridges. "Proper" is a subjective term but they do seem to take some inspiration from the battleships of old:

View attachment 147106

But too many ships in this game look like upscaled versions of small craft. They give a warped sense of scale. The Cutter in my opinion is the worst offender, as beautiful as it is. The cockpit and general design of the ship make it look small.
I mean, yeh, kinda.
Not gonna change.

EGc3bjsXUAAP6m8

I've said it numerous times, that I feel as though the game's ships and cockpits were modelled on a different scale from each other. Essentially if you look at the eagle, it appears to be about the size of an x-wing or a modern fighter, maybe a bomber, the damned things the size of a boeing 737.

The very odd time I go to external camera, it always strikes me that the games ships and the pilots figures are on different scales, akin to models being built with lego technic planning on lego technic figures, but instead they get regular lego men.

tumblr_o0lfg7AhsD1r4l4tto1_1280.jpg

There is no gravity on your ship, that is why you have cockpits and not large open bridges to free float around and bang into stuff.

Pretty much all ship functions can be run through a single seat/location.

Taking no gravity into account...... anyone not seated and strapped in during anykind of combat maneuvering would get reduced to a sack of broken bones and organs from smashing into bulkheads.

There is no gravity on your ship, that is why you have cockpits and not large open bridges to free float around and bang into stuff.

Pretty much all ship functions can be run through a single seat/location.

Taking no gravity into account...... anyone not seated and strapped in during anykind of combat maneuvering would get reduced to a sack of broken bones and organs from smashing into bulkheads.
Corvette has a bridge. Several ships have a bridge.

(Launches tea cup at EXO).

Top Bottom