Patch Notes September Update - Patch 3

It seems to be only affecting every 2nd NPC crew character or so, but my favourite crew guy went completely silent after the April patch except for several lines of dialog ("don't shoot me" and "ship damaged" or "destroyed"), the comms text is also missing for the missing dialog. Everything was working before the patch.

Frontier have marked it as a confirmed fault back in April too, but are still yet to getting around to fix it.

I'm no programmer, let alone working in a big company, but fdev seems it's doing things snail-speed.

Don't tell me you can still lock yourself in the comm panel to the left? If it's so... then...

I just thought it was well known that the main part of the team broke away last year to work on the 2020 DLC.

Oh you absolutely right, FD said it themselves.
What I mean, is that they not gona admit that they have not enough people to test resent updates due to this DLC work...
Sorry, I did not marked that I was Ironic about my "guess" what the rest of the team are doing now...

I've shut everything down including the launcher and restarted it. Still happening. Not so much a softlock as I can use the joystick to back out of the mission board but still unable to select a mission when the mission-giving faction has been scrolled out of sight.
Can confirm this. Happens whether using mouse or HOTAS. Let me know the link to the issue and I'll add to it. Thankfully it's straightforward to get out of.

Don't tell me you can still lock yourself in the comm panel to the left? If it's so... then...

yes they said at gues April Patch they would fix it soon before this "Patch" nothing was done. The wording was will will do it in next major patch cause the year is about major gameplay improvements and the could i do it that fast lol. About 4 Months now but there is unfixed other stuff for years.

I used to build power amplifiers, and out of a batch of 20, despite them all being thoroughly tested, and running non-stop for a week in the test rack, you could always expect one or two to crap out on their 1st night, because you cannot put 3000+ brand new components into a device, and expect them all to work perfectly every time.
Also shows there's no test quite like the real thing.
However, we'd have a spare amp or two on standby, & after sorting out any opening night glitches, they'd generally run well for years.

Swap out the words 'power amplifiers' for 'Patches' & 'components' for 'code' & that seems to me to be pretty much how Frontier do it too :)

Accusing them of 'trying to break the game' or 'not testing it' is completely ridiculous.
the final stage of the test is 'how does it cope when 10,000 people log on'.
Get used to it.
Its ok.
RF, or audio?

Like, a recent example of a big big company testing their stuff and still having an update breaking things once it's live : of course the recent Youtube update that messed up things for more than 3 days wasn't tested, Google clearly has no QA, no devs working on patches and does want you to not use Youtube obviously. :rolleyes:

And they're not the only ones.

But who cares, right ?

If I paid 60 dollars to play Elite multiple thousands hours, being unable to play reliably for a few days is totally the end of the world and justifies attacks against the team instead of just voicing disappointment 🤷‍♂️
When voicing disappointment is taken as attacking the team, there is a no-win situation for the customer. :(

Whilst reluctant to appear oleaginous, I wish to express my appreciation for the timely and efficient resolution of these minor issues.
Once again the Frontier team demonstrate their superhuman coding prowess and coolness under pressure.

Greetings Commanders,

The Elite Dangerous servers will be offline for all platforms on the 10 October at 07:00 (UTC) to apply the September Update - Patch 3.

Thank you for your understanding.

Please find the full Patch Notes below:

Cockpit UI
  • Fixed an issue that caused multiple modules to appear to change priorities instead of just the one that was selected
  • Fixed a small performance stutter when opening the modules tab
Crashes/Stability
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when handing in a mission
  • Fixed the issue causing a softlock at mission boards (and removed the workaround missions)
Exploration
  • Fixed an issue where the system map was missing Commander names for First Discovered and First Mapped
General
  • (Xbox One only) Replaced 'Debug Test' text that appeared when giving a ship a name or ID on Xbox One with 'Enter Ship Name/ID'
  • Fixed missing Flak Launcher VFX
  • Fixed an issue that stopped some previously allowed characters from being able to be used in ship IDs
Network
  • Fixed an issue where some types of non-Ethernet connections were rejected
  • Further work has been made towards restoring VPN connections by:
    • (PC only) Adding ability for players to select which network adapter to use in the network options list (VPN connections will appear here)
      • Note if you change the selected Network Adapter here, you will also need to restart the game
    • Stopping the game from terminating if unable to connect to a network. This allows players into the network options screen to check that their VPN connection is selected
Render
  • (Xbox One only) Fixed a screen tearing issue on Xbox One when in 4k Quality mode
Will there be an optimization for Xbox one X, with this update the performance has worsened, even on performance settings the game can’t reach 60FPS. the performance was better before September update.

I don't know man. In the current state of the game I can't really appreciate the fact that people are doing their job. I mean, I payed for a game and got miserable quality. Will doing his job doesn't make it worse but it surely doesn't make it better either. It's a neutral force being applied but changing nothing. With this in mind, he could very well not communicate and it wouldn't change the situation because it simply doesn't statisfy the community demands as written down in the open letter and signed by ~3k players.

What he communicates is what he is allowed to communicate, not what I am expecting. What he does is simply what he is supposed to do. I am not really appreciative of things that are supposed to happen. Anything over the top, yes but not for the normal every day work.

Unfortunately, along with a lot of streamers and backers who visited or wrote stuff for the games lore background, they were made to sign non disclosure agreements that basically say they legally cannot say anything more than they say or else they might just end up finding a new job, or worse end up in a court case over something they could easily avoid and mostly do avoid .....

Some backers have left over this and thats only to be expected, so far this gaame has had 1 expansion, and that was in the works over the year of release, people seem to think that the original goal to "REMAKE ELITE" in a new upgraded form is anything more than thier original promise, in the last 5 years the gaming world has had a lot of upgrades in tech, including the latest stuff, so any update in 2020 will have to encompasse not just the original game but the expansion too, plus any expanded bits that are also added in december, we are now 1 month or so after a small update like the september one and still fixing bugs, could be worse this could be like skyrim or oblivion where affter the day 1 patch to make the game work, there was 1 patch every now and again. Now thats how a company the size of Bethesda handles it, FDev is a lot smaller operation, i dont agree with several ways several things have been handled, especially since a few of them could have been handled ingame but were taken far outside the game, But you cant deny that 1) this is a game not an alpha or tech demo, 2)People play the game for thousands of hours, and very few people pay the price that the preorder or backers have to actually play it and 3) a lot of the discoveries to be made in this game take place in an area the size of a small english village or smaller, where some of the larger ships you can buy straddle it to the point you dont think there is anything there, yet there are player memorials, memorials to pets, memorials to recently dead actors and other celebrities, and thats all in the city block we call the bubble.

To an explorer or Miner, haalf of these just dont exist, or dont effect the player, and they carry on oblivious to anything being wrong, trying to say theyre not testing and not playing also means that by that definition, a lot of other game devs nowadays dont test and some of them are on a hell of a lot higher wages.

@Frontier Developments -- Kudos! :)Patch 3 Fixed my Network Issue and I can play again. No more hated :mad: "Network cannot be initialized. Please check your connection" message. I spent the morning flying a few missions and earned 300 ARX. Learned these are credited when I exit the game. I did not find any bugs during this gameplay but I am certain there are some small ones remaining. Please, I respectfully ask that ALL bugs be fixed in the September 2019 update FIRST, before FD even ENTERTAINS :sneaky: the thought of releasing the December 2019 update. Have a few brave volunteers beta test the December 2019 update for a couple of months on diverse platforms before this is deemed ready for released. If this becomes the February 2020 update, Mr Braben :devilish: be darned, so be it.

Last edited:
Every new patch makes the game more and more challenging! After the last, today's I just have no chance to connect to server :LOL::LOL::LOL:

FDev makes it's best for us to leave the game forever - and free it's endless space for a new customers...

Top Bottom