My Ultimate Trader Cutter

Just my opinion but if you've got guns on it it's not a trade Cutter.

You just don't need guns to trade in a Cutter.
I have weapons on my traders but my freighters have none and run. I have freighter builds on Corvette, Cutter and T9 as well as many smaller ships.

Ah, like when you're trading rare commodities. I forgot about those. Yes, rare commodities trading would need a fuel scoop...
And, sometimes trading a normal commodity [consumer tech] a few jumps away can means an extra Cr.1,000/ton ... when I'm carrying nearly 700T it makes a difference and if one of those jumps is a white dwarf...

No, but if you are tired of running from NPC pirates, you can use those guns to blast them to bits so they won't bother you again.
I tried that for a while but it just gets irritating to be chased around by pleb's.

If you are taking the kind of trade missions that give you pirate interdictions you can take a trip in your favourite combat ship first. All the mission related bad guys will appear as you go into supercruise and you can blast them up.

Once that's done you can fly your trade in peace.

Failing that, if you are worried about rando's (which I'm not!) just submit to their interdictions and boost/jump away. Nothing is fast enough or large enough to stop your Cutter (mine has D rated DD 5's, which is only slightly slower than A rated DD 5's). I find this saves time rather than attempting combat in a hybrid Cutter.

Mine has the smallest Prismatics that'll fit and they are plenty enough to stop any attackers before jumping.

Save your module slots for Cargo and or jump range.
Like i said -> IMO!

I gotta question. Why the beam lasers if you could have a few multicannons with incendiary effect to take down the shields? When the shields are down I am guessing that the multicannons are better at ripping up the hull than beam lasers, even if the incendiary causes a tiny decrease in dps (I think it's 2%). And your other 5 mc's could have corrosive, emmisive and other nasty effects to give your opponent a quick visit to the rebuy screen!

The elite cargo missions I run typically throw 4 conda and maybe a T10 at you while doing the mission. If you're stacking, you can get 8-10 interdictions, which is a nice extra to the payout. The beams strip shields quickly all by themselves, but usually I wait for the conda to make it's run and fire everything at it from about 1.5 clicks and in. Shields are gone, and as much as 40-50% of the hull by the time it tries to make a run for it.

I use autoloader on my multi cannons as I hate having one reload while I'm trying to fire the blinking thing. ;)

To be honest, I take out NPCs quite quickly with the setup I have, and see no need to tinker with it.

Usually uses highly specialized ships fitted for each specific role.
This is my trading 762 tonnes of cargo Imperial Cutter: https://is.gd/NpAL6t

Fitted Packhounds when I got tired of the NPC interdictions. The downside of the missiles is that they tend to give me a fine and gets me wanted, when they hit the local security forces. Nothing a quick boost can't handle though.
Used edsy.org as coriolis.io wouldn't fit my legacy 5A Shield Generator.
Mine is much like yours, except for having an all-laser loadout, all turrets except for the huge hardpoint which is gimballed. Legacy class 5 shields give that little bit extra space., yes. :)

I really can't see how a Cutter with a cargo capacity of 384 tonnes can be called an "ultimate trader"...

For what it's worth mine is... https://s.orbis.zone/4tv-

My Cutter is designed specifically to deliver three 120 or two 180 ton cargo missions. These will pay 4-6 million credits each when allied with all factions in boom states. Meanwhile it will take on any ship in the game without sacrificing shields, hull or weapons for additional cargo space. No problem bounty hunting or any other play style. Great jump range and a fuel scoop when one wants to go someplace. Drop in an SRV for prospecting. Add a collector limpet for USS materials gathering. Add your preferred weapons loadout. It really is an all-in-one ship once the pilot learns how to fly it. Fly in Solo, Group or Open mode as desired.

Whenever I accept an interdiction (no problem avoiding them) it is always a Type-10 Defender, an Anaconda and sometimes both with a fighter. This Cutter easily takes them out with another 200,000 credits each plus scooping up cargo and materials.

If one prefers bulk trading then of course 700+ ton cargo space, 6A shields and removing other modules would be required. However bulk trading will not pay as much and requires module sacrifices.

Regards

My Cutter is designed specifically to deliver three 120 or two 180 ton cargo missions. These will pay 4-6 million credits each when allied with all factions in boom states. Meanwhile it will take on any ship in the game without sacrificing shields, hull or weapons for additional cargo space. No problem bounty hunting or any other play style. Great jump range and a fuel scoop when one wants to go someplace. Drop in an SRV for prospecting. Add a collector limpet for USS materials gathering. Add your preferred weapons loadout. It really is an all-in-one ship once the pilot learns how to fly it.

Whenever I accept an interdiction (no problem avoiding them) it is always a Type-10 Defender, an Anaconda and sometimes both with a fighter. This Cutter easily takes them out with another 200,000 credits each plus scooping up cargo and materials.

If one prefers bulk trading then of course 700+ ton cargo space, 6A shields and removing other modules would be required. However bulk trading will not pay as much and requires module sacrifices.

Regards

Yea, but it is not the ultimate trader :)
It's the ultimate multipurpose :)

My Trader Cutter did the repairs at WHN, hauling 720t in 1200-1600ly round trips :)

My Cutter is designed specifically to deliver three 120 or two 180 ton cargo missions. These will pay 4-6 million credits each when allied with all factions in boom states. Meanwhile it will take on any ship in the game without sacrificing shields, hull or weapons for additional cargo space. No problem bounty hunting or any other play style. Great jump range and a fuel scoop when one wants to go someplace. Drop in an SRV for prospecting. Add a collector limpet for USS materials gathering. Add your preferred weapons loadout. It really is an all-in-one ship once the pilot learns how to fly it. Fly in Solo, Group or Open mode as desired.

Regards

I guess the issue is that many of us run 700+ tonne Cutter/T9 builds without any issue. As far as Open is concerned, my philosophy is don't get caught in the first place. Honestly, how many times have you been successfully interdicted and killed by a Cmdr in Open whilst hauling freight? I'd say about 3-4 times since I started 4+ years ago.

Your build looks very good for those old CG's or dodgy areas where you know a few bored gankers are lurking, for the other 95% of the time, not so good. Why stack two 180 tonne freight missions when you can take four, plus have space to top up with some extra 2mill credit missions. A single run more than covers any potential insurance payout from a hull loss.

Each to their own, it is a nice build, looks more like my Multi purpose cutter. For freight I go all out cargo and keep my eyes peeled on the scanners in Open, pack hard hitting weapons for NPC's. Evading NPC's is easy, it is the chain interdiction's that make it frustrating, often quicker to just drop out and kill them.

I guess the issue is that many of us run 700+ tonne Cutter/T9 builds without any issue. As far as Open is concerned, my philosophy is don't get caught in the first place. Honestly, how many times have you been successfully interdicted and killed by a Cmdr in Open whilst hauling freight? I'd say about 3-4 times since I started 4+ years ago.

Your build looks very good for those old CG's or dodgy areas where you know a few bored gankers are lurking, for the other 95% of the time, not so good. Why stack two 180 tonne freight missions when you can take four, plus have space to top up with some extra 2mill credit missions. A single run more than covers any potential insurance payout from a hull loss.

Each to their own, it is a nice build, looks more like my Multi purpose cutter. For freight I go all out cargo and keep my eyes peeled on the scanners in Open, pack hard hitting weapons for NPC's. Evading NPC's is easy, it is the chain interdiction's that make it frustrating, often quicker to just drop out and kill them.

How many times interdicted and killed by a CMDR while trading? Never.

You're right as each to their own. Previously with a 700 ton cargo Cutter and 6A shields I had no problems doing bulk trading runs 2-3 jumps away and avoiding combat. With some current local runs I dropped the fighter bay and fuel scoop for 480 cargo. That's even more profits. I just took out two Anacondas, one with a fighter, was interdicted four times and got a small bounty tagging a system authority ship. After landing and paying the bounty I made 12.5 million and it was one station to another in the same system. After combat I still had two bright shield rings. Lots of fun and breaks up those quiet runs. It's just nice to have a fully combat capable trading Cutter and still make a nice profit.

Regards

Last edited:
Trade Cutter with Guns? Pah, i don't even have Shields on my trutter. Guns and Shields are for Wimps ;)

If you can't beat an NPC in an interdiction mini game, then git gudderer

If you are taking the kind of trade missions that give you pirate interdictions you can take a trip in your favourite combat ship first. All the mission related bad guys will appear as you go into supercruise and you can blast them up.

Seems like it's easier just to crush any NPC that gets in your way like an insect with your trade-ship. :p

Thing is, the bigger the ship, the less difference it makes to the ship's performance if you decide to bung on a few guns and, perhaps, a bigger PP.
If I take all the guns off my Cutter I can drop down to a 6A PP.
That knocks about 70t off the weight and gains me... 1.45Ly of extra jump-range and 2m/s of speed.
I don't think that's going to put a huge dent in my trading efficiency.

And besides, I like killin' stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom