Fewer Staff Buildings

I understand that these are added layers of realism/challenge (and frankly, are commonplace/to be expected in a management game) but I find it to be a little burdensome having to place six different buildings. I would honestly prefer spending my time designing the layout of my park, etc. and just sort of assume that all of these "buildings" are in designated areas "off-map."

But I doubt that's going to happen, so I'm wondering how people would feel about merging these? For example: Keeper huts could be merged with staff rooms and re-named "keeper hubs"; veterinary surgery, trade center, and quarantine could all be merged (retaining the name "veterinary clinic") as the trade center/quarantine feel fairly duplicative and serve similar purposes (you could also cute out the need to put the animal into quarantine--that's an unnecessary step IMHO); and having the research center and workshop be merged as well (and just dubbed "workshops").

This would still keep some of the managerial elements but decrease the time it takes in-game to fit these things into your game, keep them hidden, etc. But frankly, the trade center and quarantine units seem (at a very, very high level) duplicative and unnecessary for me.

I get the actions each of these buildings serves being in the game (e.g., keepers needing a spot to prepare food and rest, having an area dedicated to R&D) but functionally it feels burdensome having to deal with that many buildings.

The biggest one for me is the trade center/quarantine/veterinary unit. Why not get it from the trade center (which we don't need a building for--but you do need a spot to quarantine the animals) and have them automatically go to quarantine? After they're checked out/cleared, move them into the habitat.

Just a thought!

Build your own blueprints you only need do it once - I've built a mechanics hut and attached electric and water to it so I place just that down.

Ive also built a trade centre and quarantine block that I can just place down in one go. Hell you could even build a staff central building of all 7 already in one place

I do not think that there will be changes to the way the buildings work.

Yeah, I honestly don't know that there's enough demand for this sort of thing to warrant a change but... Figured I'd put my thoughts out there.

But you could try and create your own buildings as 'Keeper Hubs' Just make a slightly larger building and place the Keeper hut and staff room boxes inside :)

Build your own blueprints you only need do it once - I've built a mechanics hut and attached electric and water to it so I place just that down.

Ive also built a trade centre and quarantine block that I can just place down in one go. Hell you could even build a staff central building of all 7 already in one place

Yeah, this is exactly what I've been doing. I still find it a little annoying that I even have to do it. But it's a decent enough work-around! :) Glad I'm not the only one feeling that way.

There are already lots of examples of these on the workshop.

Yeah, I mean they shouldn't even have some of these buildings in the game (e.g., the function of the "research center" could just as easily be included as part of the "workshop" if you look at what its required for). It just feels like a huge waste of space.

I would love to decrease the size of those "cluster" staff buildings I've been using by 50% or so.

While it's a good idea, I can't see it changing for one major reason: it would break saved games.

Think about it. These new buildings would essentially be registered as new game objects in the engine, which would then be wondering what happened to all the old objects. Best case would be that it doesn't crash and simply 'deletes' all the old buildings, but then people would have to manually replace everything in their games.

And what about the scenarios? Those would all have to be redone as well.

This would have been a great idea during development but I just feel like it would cause way too many issues on the programming side to warrant such a small change. Otherwise yeah would have been nice to simplify it a bit more.

While it's a good idea, I can't see it changing for one major reason: it would break saved games.

Think about it. These new buildings would essentially be registered as new game objects in the engine, which would then be wondering what happened to all the old objects. Best case would be that it doesn't crash and simply 'deletes' all the old buildings, but then people would have to manually replace everything in their games.

And what about the scenarios? Those would all have to be redone as well.

This would have been a great idea during development but I just feel like it would cause way too many issues on the programming side to warrant such a small change. Otherwise yeah would have been nice to simplify it a bit more.

Yeah, that's a good point. I can't help but think there's some sort of work-around (e.g., "merge" buildings of the same size automatically) or something...

But for now I will temper my expectations and get used to having to waste a bunch of exhibit space on 7+ buildings with every zoo I create.

I understand that these are added layers of realism/challenge (and frankly, are commonplace/to be expected in a management game) but I find it to be a little burdensome having to place six different buildings. I would honestly prefer spending my time designing the layout of my park, etc. and just sort of assume that all of these "buildings" are in designated areas "off-map."

But I doubt that's going to happen, so I'm wondering how people would feel about merging these? For example: Keeper huts could be merged with staff rooms and re-named "keeper hubs"; veterinary surgery, trade center, and quarantine could all be merged (retaining the name "veterinary clinic") as the trade center/quarantine feel fairly duplicative and serve similar purposes (you could also cute out the need to put the animal into quarantine--that's an unnecessary step IMHO); and having the research center and workshop be merged as well (and just dubbed "workshops").

This would still keep some of the managerial elements but decrease the time it takes in-game to fit these things into your game, keep them hidden, etc. But frankly, the trade center and quarantine units seem (at a very, very high level) duplicative and unnecessary for me.

I get the actions each of these buildings serves being in the game (e.g., keepers needing a spot to prepare food and rest, having an area dedicated to R&D) but functionally it feels burdensome having to deal with that many buildings.

The biggest one for me is the trade center/quarantine/veterinary unit. Why not get it from the trade center (which we don't need a building for--but you do need a spot to quarantine the animals) and have them automatically go to quarantine? After they're checked out/cleared, move them into the habitat.

Just a thought!

Personally I just made a blueprint that is my "goto" staff island that I can place down wherever I need it.

Personally I just made a blueprint that is my "goto" staff island that I can place down wherever I need it.

Thanks for sharing that! I love the design and will probably be downloading that at some point this weekend! :)

Don't forget you can also stack them on top of one another! Just create a small tower of staff buildings 😂😂

And call it the Tower O' Functionality.

I feel like where the staff buildings are right now is perfectly fine, there is no need for fewer buildings. I feel like where the game has it makes it feel important and like a resource you have to consider putting into your park. If anything, I think one or two more would be nice.

Top Bottom