Slow Down Time Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I build 3 habitats and while building my fourth all of my animals from first already died of old age. i have no chance of bonding with them or looking at them because they just die so fast. make an option for the gametime variable to slow it down to 1/2, 1/3, 1/5, 1/10 and so on. cant really be that hard to do it. i got the same in most of my games.

I think I was the first person to post on this subject in Beta and it is one of the biggest things sucking my enjoyment of this game right down to nothing. I want to play in Career and Franchise mode but will not while time is running so fast. So it is sandbox mode for me. I have a theory on why this is not being addressed. I have come to the conclusion that it isn't that they won't slow it down, it is because for whatever tech reason they CAN'T slow it down, probably most likely to do with the game engine itself. But this is just my thought on the matter. If it is a case of the can't slow it down, I wish they would just say so. I could actually live with that answer if it is indeed something that is impossible to do, but just say so and everyone can move on.

Whenever someone says "it can't be that hard" I have to wonder how much they actually know about programming/game development to make that claim. Don't get me wrong, at the end of the day I would like time to be slowed down as well. But since I am a programmer I also know it's not as simple as changing one number and being done with it. When you have stuff that relies on a timer, in this case how fast days go by, there's a high chance you have to rebalance everything around that new time. Slowing time means they'd have to readjust how fast animals get hungry/thirsty, how fast facilities break down, how fast staff works, etc.

So you should never really say it would be easy to change, because in game development, nothing is ever easy. I just wish we could get an official response on everyone wanting the time slowed down.

I have come to the conclusion that it isn't that they won't slow it down, it is because for whatever tech reason they CAN'T slow it down, probably most likely to do with the game engine itself.

They're using the same game engine as Planet Coaster, albeit a newer and better version, and that game had 10sec days vs PZ's 3sec days. There wouldn't be anything programming or engine wise stopping them from making the change, other than it going against their vision for the game.

Agreed, one of my biggest gripes with the game. I would also want them to slow the time down to PlanCo speed. But as Silhouette says, who knows how many other subsystems are impacted by this that need to be changed. Everything from finances, to costs, to deterioration and staff workings would likely need to be rebalanced.

But I'm by no means saying that because it's hard or a lot of work they shouldn't do it. They got this wrong, it's an overwhelming request by the fans, and they should adress it. It's just that it might take some time for them to figure out exactly how to do it, and then get on to doing it.

Whenever someone says "it can't be that hard" I have to wonder how much they actually know about programming/game development to make that claim. Don't get me wrong, at the end of the day I would like time to be slowed down as well. But since I am a programmer I also know it's not as simple as changing one number and being done with it. When you have stuff that relies on a timer, in this case how fast days go by, there's a high chance you have to rebalance everything around that new time. Slowing time means they'd have to readjust how fast animals get hungry/thirsty, how fast facilities break down, how fast staff works, etc.

So you should never really say it would be easy to change, because in game development, nothing is ever easy. I just wish we could get an official response on everyone wanting the time slowed down.

They're using the same game engine as Planet Coaster, albeit a newer and better version, and that game had 10sec days vs PZ's 3sec days. There wouldn't be anything programming or engine wise stopping them from making the change, other than it going against their vision for the game.

well, im a programmer as well and when they did a good job in planning the game they should have gametime variables that they could stretch with a second new time-delay variable. sure u never know where it might break something but they could at least add the option as beta test quickly so the players can test out where it causes problems. who doesnt want the risk can leave it on standard and everyone else gets to try it out. that would be the fastest way of fixing the problem. you need good bug testing

well, im a programmer as well and when they did a good job in planning the game they should have gametime variables that they could stretch with a second new time-delay variable. sure u never know where it might break something but they could at least add the option as beta test quickly so the players can test out where it causes problems. who doesnt want the risk can leave it on standard and everyone else gets to try it out. that would be the fastest way of fixing the problem. you need good bug testing

Well if you're a programmer as well then you can understand that balancing takes a lot of time and dedication to figure out exactly how long/quick things need to happen. Chances are they balanced the game how they thought was good (although I still feel it's pretty unbalanced in certain areas, but anyway) and the thought of redoing all that balance testing simply wasn't feasible in a month's time.

I really wasn't expecting the time to be changed by release for this very reason. What bothers me is they're choosing to remain silent on this issue.

Also I wouldn't say it's necessarily a good idea to make your players participate in balancing your game for you, regardless of whether they have the choice or not. I personally would look poorly on it as a player and wonder why the devs weren't doing that internally, and as a game developer I would also never do that. There could also be issues with their investors and stuff for doing that... Not entirely sure how much control they would have over Frontier but you know, the company has to look good for them.

Well if you're a programmer as well then you can understand that balancing takes a lot of time and dedication to figure out exactly how long/quick things need to happen. Chances are they balanced the game how they thought was good (although I still feel it's pretty unbalanced in certain areas, but anyway) and the thought of redoing all that balance testing simply wasn't feasible in a month's time.

I really wasn't expecting the time to be changed by release for this very reason. What bothers me is they're choosing to remain silent on this issue.

Also I wouldn't say it's necessarily a good idea to make your players participate in balancing your game for you, regardless of whether they have the choice or not. I personally would look poorly on it as a player and wonder why the devs weren't doing that internally, and as a game developer I would also never do that. There could also be issues with their investors and stuff for doing that... Not entirely sure how much control they would have over Frontier but you know, the company has to look good for them.

well, letting players take part in the bug fixing process is basically the whole idea of releasing games as early-access so i dont see why the average player would look badly at the dev, considering the wild success of many of those early-access titles.

They also think the path building system is good... sooo....
But yes if they do a good job its still not one number but also not too hard to change

Path system is here to stay. They haven't changed it much since Planet coaster. ;) But I am used to it. It is not ideal, but I know how to get things to behave. Mostly. ;) Then my concern about it is more about doing slopes easier and things like these. However, now that's going offtopic.

This is also the reason why i not even tried vevarian animals, because i don't even want too know how worse is with them.

Top Bottom