General / Off-Topic Recycle or Die! (the elite environmental thread)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
An interesting experiment going on in Cornwall:

'Cornish homes take part in trial to supply clean power to grid':

Hundreds of homes and businesses in Cornwall have started selling electricity to their local energy network and the national energy system in a pioneering move.

The trial is the first time that traditional energy users – such as homes, hotels and businesses – have acted as suppliers in a microcosm of a full energy system.

The trial harnessed together 100 Cornish homes, fitted with batteries and solar panels, to act as a mini virtual power plant for the local energy network, Western Power Distribution, and the UK’s energy system operator, National Grid. During sunny spells when homes generate more than enough electricity from solar panels they can store the power to use later, or supply the energy system with clean extra power.

The homes took part in the trial alongside 150 local businesses, which were prepared to adjust how much energy they used depending on the balance of energy supply and demand on the grid. If wind and solar power output dropped the companies could choose to use less electricity in exchange for a payment from National Grid, or if the local grid had more electricity than it needed the companies could ramp up their energy demand.

National Grid already offers to pay firms that own utility-scale batteries to provide a similar service, but the trial is the first time that companies can take part in the same “local energy market” as the network operator. The market was designed by energy giant Centrica and modelled on the same system used to balance energy markets across Europe. The energy companies believe the trial could help create a nationwide chain of flexible smart grids built around clean energy.

Pieter-Jan Mermans, a director at Centrica Business Solutions, described the trial as “a milestone moment for the energy network” after years of research.

Sounds awesome and exactly the kind of project we all need to move towards to have better energy security, redundancy and green local based energy solutions. I'll be keeping an eye on the project and reporting back the results and conclusions.

Human Psychology 101, though. We tend to rely on emotion and intuition more than we'd like to think. This is probably because they're quick, approximate reckonings that enable decisions to be taken as events unfold, which is handy when you need a decision right now about whether to fight, run away from or ...engage in conjugal activity.. with the person you've just encountered. Rationalisation is something we typically do to justify what our intuition has already decided for us & we can take considerable time making rational choices, looking at facts and options and weighing them against one-another. It's an uncomfortable feeling of cognitive dissonance when your intuition tells you to take one decision, but spending a few minutes thinking it through tells you it isn't the right one.

We like to believe we're rational, considered animals. But we're not - we're chaotic, illogical but predictable creatures of habit.

I have zero idea what 'feelz' even is, never seen it written or talked about anywhere, so just based on the 'quality' of that posters contributions so far to this thread, i have to accept it is not worth my time trying to sort through their self confusions and abstract language choice to even try to understand what they are attempting to communicate. Just not worth my time for their level of contribution (i'm not even sure what they are posting here for? Is it in protest or something? This is the thread about environmental issues. There is another thread for them to prove their belief in ;) ).

So we had those Amazon 'worst yet' forrest fires, then the recent ones in California (that looked pretty bad), so now it is Australia's turn :(

Australia bushfires: Record number of emergencies in New South Wales

:(

On the sidenote, at the very least in California, wildfires are pretty much integral part of the natural cycle - some species like the giant sequoia in fact need it. This cycle is being continuously broken by fire prevention, which means accumulation of lot of combustible material, hence when there is a fire, things get bad quickly.

On the sidenote, at the very least in California, wildfires are pretty much integral part of the natural cycle - some species like the giant sequoia in fact need it. This cycle is being continuously broken by fire prevention, which means accumulation of lot of combustible material, hence when there is a fire, things get bad quickly.
A little more, a little less ... to the point where we are ...

People most certainly can and do get emotional reactions in front of facts, i.e., "feelz" care about facts but not the other way around given facts are objetive in nature (quite the opposite to feelings.)
If one is already hysterical about sensational-lies based on manipulated data, further evidence rarely helps.

Did you bother to watch the video inside the spoiler tags?

I have zero idea what 'feelz' even is, never seen it written or talked about anywhere, so just based on the 'quality' of that posters contributions so far to this thread, i have to accept it is not worth my time trying to sort through their self confusions and abstract language choice to even try to understand what they are attempting to communicate. Just not worth my time for their level of contribution (i'm not even sure what they are posting here for? Is it in protest or something? This is the thread about environmental issues. There is another thread for them to prove their belief in ;) ).
As long as you persist in posting main stream media outrage to scare the children...

"Feelz" is a contraction of "feelings", or did your cognitive dissonance get confused?

Australia has the same fuel load issues due to the CO2 greenies refusing to let people safely back burn.

There have been many more significant fires in the past, and the original inhabitants knew about fuel load.

If one is already hysterical about sensational-lies based on manipulated data, further evidence rarely helps.

Right, that completely agrees with what I said lol.

Did you bother to watch the video inside the spoiler tags?

Rarely if ever do you post something relevant (or even correct) but most importantly, you didn't post a video in any of your recent replies to me.

Right, that completely agrees with what I said lol.

Rarely if ever do you post something relevant (or even correct) but most importantly, you didn't post a video in any of your recent replies to me.
Cherry picking the first five words of a post, ignoring the rest and arguing semantics won't help anyone.

There are two distinctly opposing narratives in play regarding the environment. One is coming from the main stream media in a desperate attempt to stay relevant in the face of low cost competition from basement dwellers with webcams on youtube, while trying to control the usual doom and gloom panic.

The other is coming from actual scientists that are up to their neck in real time data every day of the week because that is their job, and they're refusing to succumb to pressure from those who prefer to leach funding from the climate gravy train and are instead, attempting to present the truth of observation.

Ignoring information because it doesn't agree with your "feelz" is not going to provide a balanced outlook.

Cherry picking the first five words of a post, ignoring the rest and arguing semantics won't help anyone.

I replied to all of your post.

There are two distinctly opposing narratives in play regarding the environment. One is coming from the main stream media in a desperate attempt to stay relevant in the face of low cost competition from basement dwellers with webcams on youtube, while trying to control the usual doom and gloom panic.

The other is coming from actual scientists that are up to their neck in real time data every day of the week because that is their job, and they're refusing to succumb to pressure from those who prefer to leach funding from the climate gravy train and are instead, attempting to present the truth of observation.

Ignoring information because it doesn't agree with your "feelz" is not going to provide a balanced outlook.

Not gonna bother.

I replied to all of your post.
No, you didn't. No mention of poor unfortunate souls being tortured with disinformation they don't have the time or inclination to verify for themselves and you obviously didn't bother to review the video link.
Not gonna bother.
Well that's nice, because that particular post was not in response to a post by you, it didn't have your name on it and it directly followed a post by me, on finding some new and possibly helpful information.

Ignore the scientific data if you prefer, or block me. I'm just posting evidence that may calm the hysteria.

No, you didn't. No mention of poor unfortunate souls being tortured with disinformation they don't have the time or inclination to verify for themselves and you obviously didn't bother to review the video link.

I'm starting to think you have dementia, I even split your post to reply more precisely.

Well that's nice, because that particular post was not in response to a post by you, it didn't have your name on it and it directly followed a post by me, on finding some new and possibly helpful information.

Yep, you have dementia.

Ignore the scientific data if you prefer, or block me. I'm just posting evidence that may calm the hysteria.

I might pay attention to whatever you post if you are more coherent and on the point, somehow, I know that won't happen...

Human Psychology 101, though. We tend to rely on emotion and intuition more than we'd like to think. This is probably because they're quick, approximate reckonings that enable decisions to be taken as events unfold, which is handy when you need a decision right now about whether to fight, run away from or ...engage in conjugal activity.. with the person you've just encountered. Rationalisation is something we typically do to justify what our intuition has already decided for us & we can take considerable time making rational choices, looking at facts and options and weighing them against one-another. It's an uncomfortable feeling of cognitive dissonance when your intuition tells you to take one decision, but spending a few minutes thinking it through tells you it isn't the right one.

We like to believe we're rational, considered animals. But we're not - we're chaotic, illogical but predictable creatures of habit.
Two words: Edward Bernays. Herd instinct manipulation by the father of public relations...

What was that saying about those who ignore history being doomed to repeat it over and over?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom