Wolves and Color Variation...

Yeah, at this point everyone and their mom has mentioned color variation for wolves at this point, but I decided I should make a post dedicated entirely to this subject to really drive the point home.

For one: So far, in this game, after many hours of playing with wolves, staring at them side by side trying to find even the tiniest, subtlest differences... I can safely, without a doubt, say that wolves have absolutely 0 variation at all whatsoever. Not a single brown patch is altered. The white on the back of their necks is always the exact same. They're all the same exact shade of gray, all the same exact pattern. And yet many other animals reportedly have subtle differences- some bears are darker than others, there are gold cheetahs and cream cheetahs, light tigers and dark tigers- many animals of which have very little variation in real life HAVE variation ingame, and yet the one animal that should have the MOST variation over any other animal... has absolutely nothing.

Wolves are the #1 most color and pattern diverse wild mammal on the entire planet. While lions, for example, almost all look the same color and pattern-wise, as they're all pretty plain golden, wolves come in TONS of different patterns and colors.

Here's some examples:

latest

D256_53_546_1200.jpg

black-wolf-wolves-24308861-344-360.jpg

Nah+man++wolves+are+best+wolves+_b4483b10b2ab0a4497d2795a67a6a6c1.jpg

XL9l8ZP.jpg

23bacf23-250b-4ebc-8e10-e96aad31628b.jpeg

nice-portrait-of-a-dark-colored-gray-wolf-canis-lupus_u-l-p5vqzo0.jpg
11931673-wild-dark-grey-wolf-on-the-snow-landscape.jpg
11931645-wild-dark-grey-wolf-on-the-snow-landscape.jpg
a_young_grey_wolf_by_picturebypali-d3hcag2.jpg
brown-wolf-tumblr-amazing-wallpapers.jpg
ac279d56a65f66cb0abd1dff70b84a57.jpg
white-wolf-260nw-92972161.jpg
334207._SX540_.jpg
latest
tumblr_mio833fL1b1rwcfrqo1_500_large.jpg
1e52d2ca24164df34bb40f51dec1d5a5--wild-wolf-black-wolves.jpg
bf6ad4d6f2e66bca42e99710eafc995e.jpg
bc1bca8fe58b6a59935d3a4e422748f9.jpg
tumblr_p7k8347L771vkwuujo1_400.jpg
Kolm%C3%A5rden_Wolf.jpg
tumblr_mp8dtr85z11r7n9m5o1_400.jpg

Seriously, look at all these wolves- they all look very visually distinct from eachother! So why, in Planet Zoo, are they one of the only animals ingame to have literally 0 variation whatsoever?

I'd be alright with adding some small variations.

IMHO it's not something that bothers me that much though. Most Zoo's I've been (Timber) Wolves are always grey and they look very much alike.

Black wolves are the result of breeding with domestic dogs. Wolves are otherwise never black.
True, but this is something that happened a very long time ago... wolves got the genes for a black coat years and years ago. Today, at least in North America, a hefty percentage of wolves have black coats, so it’s definitely not rare/unnatural at this point.

I'm a little bit confused about the Wolf's in the Game. Are they even supposed to be Timberwolfs? The only Time I've seen them being called Timberwolf in the Game was in a Challenge where I needed to educate the Guests better about them. At least in the German Version of the Game they are called Wolf and the Education-Sign and the Zoopedia call them Canis Lupus and the Zoopedia also mentions they are living in Europe, Asia and North America. If they are Timberwolfs then Canis lupus lycaon would be right and they are living only in North America.
Maybe they wanted at first to have the Timberwolf in the Game but then decided to change it to another Subspecies. I think at least European Wolf's don't have as much Color-Variations as the Timberwolf

Top Bottom