New era pushed to 2021?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Cite from the article;
"A new release for the group’s Elite Dangerous sci-fi simulation game is also planned for 2021."

It said RELEASE is planned for 2021 not as some spoke about financial year.
But initially it was planned for end of the 2020 so nothing weird about it being pushed into 2021, that was expected.

Full article:

This seems like a very easy thing for the Frontier Community Team to clarify.
Or are we going to be getting 'you were told this would happen' posts a year from now? ;)

Worst case scenario is premium DLC released before the end of May 2021 I think, that would keep shareholders happy.

Personally, I think we're still going to get an update at the end of 2020. I'm holding to that until we hear otherwise. However, I was wondering what the upgrade path would be. I suspect that the Base game + Horizon upgrades will be scrapped and the new 'Base' game will be the 'New Era' release. Existing players get offered an upgrade from Base level or Horisons but only to the 'New Era' (I'm guessing £30 and £20 respectively) and all LEP owners don't have to pay for the upgrade, they just get it.

What does worry me is how much I'm going to have to upgrade my PC to be able to play it properly.

I started thread cos others were locked quickly!
Which is funny cos i find nothing wrong with update big as expansion being delayed, almost every game and game developed does it so it was 100% expected.
Honestly, i'm critic oriented but in this case i have nothing against it, it's just normal.
What's not normal is locking threads in panic, be open and honest and community will respect and support you!

I was just thinking that this morning. With FC pushed to mid-2020 why would anyone waste all that effort only to release a major update shortly after which would likely require another rewrite of the FC code?

I think you’re right and we’re looking at the tail end of 2021 for a radically different Elite game. We can only hope that the time and real money spent in the current Elite will transfer to the new one somehow.

I strongly suspect a game that’s more targeted for the console market with PCs as an afterthought if at all. And maybe no more VR support given DB’s attitude towards VR.

welcome to maintenance mode. Buy some ARX.

Last edited:
If NuEra is 2021, the expectations of it would be stupidly high, not to mention franchise breaking after such a h-u-g-e wait and largely static game in the meantime.

I'm talking six tier chocolate fudge with creme fraiche butter icing, sprinkles, smarties, jelly, ice cream the lot. And it would have to work flawlessly.

And to be frank its going to have to be December 2020 as thats the sweet Xmas period with the honeymoon 1st gen PS5 / Scarlett sales. Miss that and its sad faces.

I started thread cos others were locked quickly!
Which is funny cos i find nothing wrong with update big as expansion being delayed, almost every game and game developed does it so it was 100% expected.
Honestly, i'm critic oriented but in this case i have nothing against it, it's just normal.
What's not normal is locking threads in panic, be open and honest and community will respect and support you!
It is the moderators who lock threads (normally) and generally when either they have reached a conclusion or get so saline they are candidates for mummification.

I just thought the proceeds from the 2020 expansion would be incorporated in the 2020/21 financial year rather than 2021/22 - but unhappy if proven wrong :)

Hey Commanders, we just wanted to take a moment to reassure you all that the 2020 update isn't delayed and still on track for release. The article referred to in the OP is discussing the 2021 financial year. We hope this helps clear the situation up for you!

yes! That helps but still a bit puzzling in regards to FC release just ahead of the “new era” release.

On the other hand FC was “on track” as well until it wasn’t....twice.

yes! That helps but still a bit puzzling in regards to FC release just ahead of the “new era” release.

On the other hand FC was “on track” as well until it wasn’t....twice.
Didn't they say second quarter for fleet carriers. That's anything from April to end of June and the new expansion is likely to come in December. That gives them between 6 and 9 months between FCs and the new era.

Not too sure what's puzzling about it.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom