General / Off-Topic Recycle or Die! (the elite environmental thread)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Well, rest assured, I'm doing a lot to fight against the global warming.

Certainly as much as you, and even more surely.

The few buildings that you put to the ecological standards just compensate for your drift of premium polluter.

You make a zero-sum game and I even think that as you are a fan of overconsumption, overproduction and overpollution, your work is not enough to exonerate you from your environmental egoism.
What do you do?

What do you do?
The opposite of you.

No overproduction, no overconsumption, no over-pollution.

A small example ?

Compare our respective carbon footprints.

You have a big 4x4 and several SUVs (of what you said)

I do not use a fossil fuel vehicle, and it's a huge effort and a personal sacrifice.

We can compare what you throw in the atmosphere with your mini trucks for 1 year, and me with my legs and the exhaled air of my lungs.

;)

The opposite of you.

No overproduction, no overconsumption, no over-pollution.

A small example ?

Compare our respective carbon footprints.

You have a big 4x4 and several SUVs (of what you said)

I do not use a fossil fuel vehicle, and it's a huge effort and a personal sacrifice.

We can compare what you throw in the atmosphere with your mini trucks for 1 year, and me with my legs and the exhaled air of my lungs.

;)
I wasn't trying to figure out your carbon footprint, that's only part of the equation. What I was getting at is what do you DO, not what you consume/excrete. I mean, even if you're sitting still other people in industry are motivating the economy, providing goods and essential services and generally producing/excreting on your behalf, you're just to two faced and dishonest to own your impacts. Nah, I was trying to get at what you do in you professional life to effect change in the planet's eco systems. See, as an example I improve anywhere from 30-50 buildings and homes a year to make them more energy efficient and therefore less wasteful to the planet in all respects, something I think most reasonable people would agree is a good thing; what do you do to effect change?

I wasn't trying to figure out your carbon footprint, that's only part of the equation. What I was getting at is what do you DO, not what you consume/excrete. I mean, even if you're sitting still other people in industry are motivating the economy, providing goods and essential services and generally producing/excreting on your behalf, you're just to two faced and dishonest to own your impacts. Nah, I was trying to get at what you do in you professional life to effect change in the planet's eco systems. See, as an example I improve anywhere from 30-50 buildings and homes a year to make them more energy efficient and therefore less wasteful to the planet in all respects, something I think most reasonable people would agree is a good thing; what do you do to effect change?
What you do is useless Jason.

As I told you it's a zero sum game.

You break the things and after, you try more or less to limit the damage.

Recently I read an analysis that says: "The States have set targets for greenhouse gas emission reductions such as environmental upgrading of buildings" - "But at the same time they allow the manufacture of millions of SUVs that destroy the efforts made previously ".

I will have respect for what you do professionally when you change your behavior in your private life. Sell your SUVs, stop overconsumption, overproduction, overpollution.

But you are too hypocritical to do it. Your convictions are not strong enough.

You give yourself a good conscience by adapting some buildings to limit the damage that you do elsewhere.

And the first goal of your professional orientation, is not the love of the planet (you have often proved that it is secondary for you), but simply the greed.

Because you have felt the good vein to make money and continue in the egoist way of overconsumption, overproduction, overpollution.

Do like me, to make authentic acts in your private life for the good of the planet and not as you do by placing on one side placebos on a patient and injecting him with poison on the other side.

What you do is useless Jason.

As I told you it's a zero sum game.

You break the things and after, you try more or less to limit the damage.

Recently I read an analysis that says: "The States have set targets for greenhouse gas emission reductions such as environmental upgrading of buildings" - "But at the same time they allow the manufacture of millions of SUVs that destroy the efforts made previously ".

I will have respect for what you do professionally when you change your behavior in your private life. Sell your SUVs, stop overconsumption, overproduction, overpollution.

But you are too hypocritical to do it. Your convictions are not strong enough.

You give yourself a good conscience by adapting some buildings to limit the damage that you do elsewhere.

And the first goal of your professional orientation, is not the love of the planet (you have often proved that it is secondary for you), but simply the greed.

Because you have felt the good vein to make money and continue in the egoist way of overconsumption, overproduction, overpollution.

Do like me, to make authentic acts in your private life for the good of the planet and not as you do by placing on one side placebos on a patient and injecting him with poison on the other side.
You are kind of pathological, aren't you? M'kay, gonna leave this alone for now. The crazy might start catching.

'A third of tropical African plants face extinction':

A third of tropical African plants are on the path to extinction, according to a new assessment.

Much of western Africa, Ethiopia, and parts of Tanzania and the Democratic Republic of the Congo are the hardest hit regions, standing to lose more than 40% of their richness of plants.

Species at risk include trees, shrubs, herbs and woody vines. Threats include deforestation, population growth and climate change, the scientists said.

"Biodiversity provides countless benefits to humans and losing diversity jeopardises our future," said lead researcher Dr Thomas Couvreur of the French National Institute for Sustainable Development.

Loss of biodiversity will be particularly problematic in tropical Africa, "a region of incredible diversity but with major social and political challenges and expected rapid population growth over the next decades", he added.

So far, almost nine in 10 mammals and two-thirds of birds have been assessed, but less than 8% of vascular plants (flowering plants and most other plants, excluding mosses and algae).

The researchers used a similar, but more speedy, method to assess the likely extinction risk of more than 20,000 plant species.

They found that 33% of the species are potentially threatened with extinction, and another third of species are likely rare, potentially becoming threatened in the near future.

This is mainly due to human activities such as deforestation, land-use changes, population growth, economic development, and climate change, they said.

There also have been similar projects done in a couple of the middle-eastern countries and iirc Spain has something like it to? All useful technology to be explored for sure as we transition away from fossil fuel burning.

Speaking of such:

'Analysis: Global coal power set for record fall in 2019':

This would amount to a reduction of around 300 terawatt hours (TWh), more than the combined total output from coal in Germany, Spain and the UK last year.

The analysis is based on monthly electricity sector data from around the world for the first seven to 10 months of the year, depending on data availability in each country.

The main counteracting force is from continuing increases in coal generation in south-east Asia, but demand from these countries is still small relative to the global total.

The global decline means an economic hit for coal plants due to reduced average running hours, which are set to reach an all-time low.

The record drop also raises the prospect of slowing global CO2 emissions growth in 2019. Nevertheless, global coal use and emissions remain far higher than the level required to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement.

Only China is bucking the global trend re coal currently.

Good news and bad news today!

The Good (and interesting in that i need to find out more sources about it!):

'Solar farms can keep UK’s lights on even at night':

Solar farms could soon play a vital role in the energy system 24 hours a day, after a breakthrough trial proved they can even help balance the grid at night. National Grid used a solar farm in East Sussex to help smooth overnight voltage fluctuations for the first time earlier this month, proving solar farms don’t need sunshine to help keep the lights on.

Lightsource BP, the owner of the solar farm, said an inexpensive tweak to the project’s electrical equipment meant it could help balance the grid with only two seconds’ notice. Kareen Boutonnat, the company’s chief operating officer, said: “We have proven that solar plants can play a larger role across the electricity network. But this is only the beginning.”

The picture is a little misleading in that it shows moonlight over some solar panels, which is not what the article is about (i think). I'll do more research into it as it sounds exactly like the kind of green energy innovations we need to get us through the next article!

The Bad:

'Climate change: Greenhouse gas concentrations again break records':

Atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases once again reached new highs in 2018.

The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) says the increase in CO2 was just above the average rise recorded over the last decade.

Levels of other warming gases, such as methane and nitrous oxide, have also surged by above average amounts.

Since 1990 there's been an increase of 43% in the warming effect on the climate of long lived greenhouse gases.

The 'ugly' is just that we carry on allowing this to happen, even when the evidence is obvious and overwhelming in telling us we are going to (and are already) regret it in the lifetime of all our own children.

Good news and bad news today!

The Good (and interesting in that i need to find out more sources about it!):

'Solar farms can keep UK’s lights on even at night':

The picture is a little misleading in that it shows moonlight over some solar panels, which is not what the article is about (i think). I'll do more research into it as it sounds exactly like the kind of green energy innovations we need to get us through the next article!

The Bad:

'Climate change: Greenhouse gas concentrations again break records':

The 'ugly' is just that we carry on allowing this to happen, even when the evidence is obvious and overwhelming in telling us we are going to (and are already) regret it in the lifetime of all our own children.

I don't get the bad news - this is business as usual and expected to last at least until the end of next decade. Every year CO2 concentration peaks right at the beginning of the Northern Spring when foliage starts to grow and reduce CO2 levels. I guess around late Autumn (this time of the year) their effect gets evened out/cancelled and we'll see CO2 break records again until next Spring.

There also have been similar projects done in a couple of the middle-eastern countries and iirc Spain has something like it to? All useful technology to be explored for sure as we transition away from fossil fuel burning.

Speaking of such:

'Analysis: Global coal power set for record fall in 2019':

Yes, confirmed by this source also:
https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/11/2...a-slowdown-in-india-and-china-climate-change/

I don't get the bad news - this is business as usual and expected to last at least until the end of next decade.

Since 1990 there's been an increase of 43% in the warming effect on the climate of long lived greenhouse gases.
and the bad news is a new record for CO2 (in post industrial history) was reached. It's bad because all this is directly feeding the extreme weather events all around the globe (which in turn harms the economy and our ability to deal with it). It is not 'good' news or even 'not important' news by any stretch.

-----------------------------

So one of the often quoted things is that in a world with lots more CO2, we don't need to worry so much as it means plants will grow quicker to absorb more. It is a basic principle that is true, BUT in relation to AGW the problem is the SPEED of change in CO2 levels, as the earths natural systems have never had to cope with such fast changes as we are driving:

'Future forests facing climate balancing act':

Forests can cope with a warming world if - and only if - temperature rises increase in line with increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide. Increased CO2 allows trees to develop physiological characteristics, such as greater foliage, that can cope with higher temperatures.

But researchers warn that a break in the temperature-CO2 increase ratio could trigger mortality in forests. The findings appear in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

So basically if we carry on doing not enough (to tackle our self created AGW problem) and decide at the last minute to plant lots of trees to 'save us', they will likely just die as they struggle to cope with the still rising levels of CO2. In short on our current trajectory of rising CO2 the plants will not be able to cope to help offset the problem.

and the bad news is a new record for CO2 (in post industrial history) was reached. It's bad because all this is directly feeding the extreme weather events all around the globe (which in turn harms the economy and our ability to deal with it). It is not 'good' news or even 'not important' news by any stretch.

-----------------------------

So one of the often quoted things is that in a world with lots more CO2, we don't need to worry so much as it means plants will grow quicker to absorb more. It is a basic principle that is true, BUT in relation to AGW the problem is the SPEED of change in CO2 levels, as the earths natural systems have never had to cope with such fast changes as we are driving:

'Future forests facing climate balancing act':

So basically if we carry on doing not enough (to tackle our self created AGW problem) and decide at the last minute to plant lots of trees to 'save us', they will likely just die as they struggle to cope with the still rising levels of CO2. In short on our current trajectory of rising CO2 the plants will not be able to cope to help offset the problem.

I'm not disputing the 'bad' there, just the 'news'. This isn't news. We could report the same every month till next Spring. Then start over again next Autumn - every year until at least 2030.
It's like as it was news that the Queen has never been so old before.

I'm not disputing the 'bad' there, just the 'news'. This isn't news. We could report the same every month till next Spring. Then start over again next Autumn - every year until at least 2030.
It's like as it was news that the Queen has never been so old before.
It is always good that the things do not fall into the oblivion.

The oblivion is the worst thing that can happen.

This kind of information must be repeated tirelessly every month I think.

Lol. it is NEW in the timespan we are referencing. It is 100% related to man made actions, it has never been seen in the historical record in such a way as it is now. So it is new AND news in that we have passed another milestone for man-made CO2 levels. If it was neither of those, there would be no article with scientists giving us that information. That is about as black&white as i can make it for you guys to understand better.

I KNOW exactly what your trying to do, trying to equate natural seasonal changes to the topic in the article, but that is like comparing a pig to a cow. Sure they are both animals, but they are not exactly the same ;) (that is also about as black&white as i can make it for you).

--------------------------

''Bags for life' making plastic problem worse, say campaigners':

It is more than ironic that this is a 'thing'. My bags are all hessian or cloth, so i have no idea why we ended up here. Like who decided the solution to plastic bags was more plastic bags! Sheer lunacy.

Unbunch the panties and quit hyperventilating 40,000 ppm deadly toxic CO2 every other second.

What did it say on the cover of the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy? That's right, DON'T PANIC!

European Parliament declares climate emergency

The European Parliament on Thursday decreed the climate and environmental emergency, a symbolic vote to keep up the pressure on EU leaders in the run-up to COP25 on the climate and with the arrival of a new European executive.

The resolution, adopted by a comfortable majority (429 for, 225 against and 19 abstentions), affirms Parliament's commitment to limit global warming to 1.5 ° C and avoid a massive loss of biodiversity..

It follows similar votes in a number of EU national parliaments, including France, the United Kingdom and Austria.

The fact that Europe is the first continent to declare the climate and environmental emergency, just before COP25, as the new Commission takes office, and three weeks after Donald Trump confirmed the withdrawal of the United States from the Paris Agreement, is a strong message sent to citizens and the rest of the world.

"The Commission must immediately start an in-depth overhaul of EU rules on agriculture, transport and trade, in order to bring them into line with the Paris Climate Agreement," said one of its responsible, Imke Lübbeke.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom