Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Not surprising there is a big crossover between SC and ED players, although i would dare to suggest that ED players are a bit more realistic about what SC might actually be than others.

On the other hand, i have seen the odd (ex)-ED player proclaim SC is going to be the game that they thought ED was going to be.

One wonders if such people will ever learn. I mean, CR aside, CIG aside, put everything else aside, but will they learn the game that exists in their head will not, and can never not, exist.

Or perhaps some previous ED players like me (actually 879h only on Steam, +Oculus) which are now dedicated to SC. For me its like b/w TV against colour TV.

Personally, apart from RDR2 already fulfilling that unique 'just as I imagined and hoped it would be' spot in my head...I'm waiting to see if Cyberpunk 2077 does just the same... like most of the known world.

Generally and from experience, I would likely trust the game devs from R* or CDPR to produce a game that delivers an in game experience worthy of expectation...FDev... and more definitively Ci¬G...not so much ;)

Opinions may vary of course, since mine is purely subjective.
Making worlds to live in which are also games was a passion of a few designers in the past. Raph Koster and others with Star Wars Galaxies, Brad McQuaid with Vanguard Saga of Hero's, Morrowind maybe. Hard to do and get right but it is possible.

And thats why we ll never change our opinion, regardless what it might be. Critics are immediately haters or jealous and people seeing the "good things" are immediately called fanatics and cultists or shills.

Its about time SC releases to finally provide answers and stop this madness. The latest round of renewed vigor and rehashing of all the old lines is really tiresome. Lets hope 3.8 will be the gamechanger that fans think it ll be. Or let it finally be "90 days" and get this over with

Nope, It’s called FUD for a reason that is spread around about CIG. Based in truth, absolutely. Have the made mistakes, absolutely, are they still making mistakes, absolutely. But, its called forward progress. Every company goes through times of mistakes...

Why do you keep calling the next patch a game changer or finally be 90 days, etc. Let it die.... Rehashing those conversations pieces is like discussing the 2012 kickstarter goals. Pointless. They lied, cheated, etc... the original backer... Excellent... Take your refund and move on.... Since then, with their new Scope of work, they are brining in record $$$, as people are seeing the game turn out to be what they want....

People in here seem to forget that people who make their money, and have the ability to buy ships for $1,000, are also smart enough not to throw away their money...

And thats why we ll never change our opinion, regardless what it might be. Critics are immediately haters or jealous and people seeing the "good things" are immediately called fanatics and cultists or shills.

Its about time SC releases to finally provide answers and stop this madness. The latest round of renewed vigor and rehashing of all the old lines is really tiresome. Lets hope 3.8 will be the gamechanger that fans think it ll be. Or let it finally be "90 days" and get this over with
I very much doubt if 3.8 will be anything more than every other patch...a load of promises made during a produced for display tech demo, most of those promises broken or shifted further down the development roadmap to obscurity.

The last series of patches have been almost entirely gutted of meaningful content to make way for pointless visual fluff in order to promote artificially inflated ship sale prices and delay any actual progress which might damage the ship sales mentality as the primary focus of Ci¬G. This behaviour hasn't changed from Ci¬G since the project began...ever.

I can guarantee it will never change until the coffers dry up and Chris Roberts blames Derek Smart/the gaming media/backers' treachery's for the failure of his vision. At least this time, he can't blame Microsoft ;)

I very much doubt if 3.8 will be anything more than every other patch...a load of promises made during a produced for display tech demo, most of those promises broken or shifted further down the development roadmap to obscurity.

The last series of patches have been almost entirely gutted of meaningful content to make way for pointless visual fluff in order to promote artificially inflated ship sale prices and delay any actual progress which might damage the ship sales mentality as the primary focus of Ci¬G. This behaviour hasn't changed from Ci¬G since the project began...ever.

I can guarantee it will never change until the coffers dry up and Chris Roberts blames Derek Smart/the gaming media/backers' treachery's for the failure of his vision. At least this time he can't blame Microsoft ;)

Or is bought out.

Ah Crypto... That was fun to watch... My rules didn’t allow me to partake in that trading action....

Yeah, a lot of the blockchain hype is pretty deranged isn't it.

Those were crypto-heads critiquing SC's hype-flation and odds of success in that article though. Honestly, it's like they have no self awareness ;)

Or is bought out.
It would take some seriously naive game publisher or company to touch anything related to Star Citizen through anything but a partial insanity, or at least possess an acute awareness of the absolute financial skullduggery and mismanagement on a global scale they would be buying into...

How does a publisher with any reputation left...and there's very few... deal with the Hollywood accounting and 17 or more shell companies created to funnel off funds or disguise income?

Maybe the Mafia money laundering experts have a computer games division we've not previously heard about...

Last edited:
Oh I stand behind my post. SC will eclipse ED with 3.8.

But, that’s not saying its the God Patch!

Nah, the God Patch is [this year]+1 + [this patch]+1

Streaking past every comparable sci fi game in [this patch]+1 is just a 'game changer' patch.

Which is what we were talking about ;)

Yeah, a lot of the blockchain hype is pretty deranged isn't it.

Those were crypto-heads critiquing SC's hype-flation and odds of success in that article though. Honestly, it's like they have no self awareness ;)

I love playing the odds on WS. Love when FUD is the highest. Here are some good quotes, that relate to SC!

"Widespread fear is your friend as an investor (early Pledge) because it serves up bargain purchases."

"The best thing that happens to us is when a great company gets into temporary trouble ...We want to buy them when they're on the operating table."

I've said it before and I will paraphrase it again. FUD is real with SC, real money flowed into SC, they have to produce, even at a reduced pace. Hence, the game will eventually come out.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.

I have to wonder at this point if it'll ever 'release' in a traditional sense. I think at this point it's far more likely SC will limp along on its current trajectory, releasing a few significant patches/additions a year and continuing to push macrotransactions. It's never going to be declared finished and review-ready, let's say that. It makes no sense for CIG to do so.

The game I'm less sure about is Squadron 42. That's a bit harder to 'fake' a launch, as it's supposed to be a single player game with a defined beginning, middle, and end. You can't exactly release half of Wing Commander or Freelancer and hang a mission accomplished banner. Either they release a polished and fun SQ42 soon and shut down all the critics, or they release a broken, incomplete, and/or unsatisfactory flagship game years from now and everyone will point and laugh like Nelson on the Simpsons. Not much middle ground.

I love playing the odds on WS. Love when FUD is the highest. Here are some good quotes, that relate to SC!

"Widespread fear is your friend as an investor (early Pledge) because it serves up bargain purchases."

"The best thing that happens to us is when a great company gets into temporary trouble ...We want to buy them when they're on the operating table."

I've said it before and I will paraphrase it again. FUD is real with SC, real money flowed into SC, they have to produce, even at a reduced pace. Hence, the game will eventually come out.
Sunk Cost Fallacy at it's most descriptive level. ;)

I'm not sure how a record breaking kickstarter counts as some timid bear market. But ok, if you see it as an investment, then any future grey market joy you may divest from the whole affair (your ship portfolio stands at what now btw?), is still kinda reliant on this next bit...

FUD is real with SC, real money flowed into SC, they have to produce, even at a reduced pace.

They have to produce something, sure. Whether it'll be any good is, kinda the subject of this thread most of the time ;)

(But hey, the God Patch is dropping about Q1 2021 right? So long as the Game Changer patch goes as planned...)

Last edited:
The game I'm less sure about is Squadron 42. That's a bit harder to 'fake' a launch, as it's supposed to be a single player game with a defined beginning, middle, and end. You can't exactly release half of Wing Commander or Freelancer and hang a mission accomplished banner. Either they release a polished and fun SQ42 soon and shut down all the critics, or they release a broken, incomplete, and/or unsatisfactory flagship game years from now and everyone will point and laugh like Nelson on the Simpsons. Not much middle ground.

Oh they've already got that sorted out.

Chapters.

Chapters and verse ;)

It would take some seriously naive game publisher or company to touch anything related to Star Citizen through anything but a partial insanity, or at least possess an awareness of the absolute skullduggery and mismanagement on a galactic scale they would be buying into...

How does a publisher with any reputation left...and there's very few... deal with the Hollywood accounting and 17 or more shell companies created to funnel off funds or disguise income?

Maybe the Mafia money laundering experts have a computer games division we've not previously heard about...

It all depends on the tech they can assemble. We are totally in the dark on SQ54/42! We see a schedule that reflects SC, which everyone says is 100% Correct. Yet, we have caves, ships that are not on the schedule, etc. that c
I'm not sure how a record breaking kickstarter counts as some timid bear market. But ok, if you see it as an investment, then any future grey market joy you may divest from the whole affair (your ship portfolio stands at what now btw?), is still kinda reliant on this next bit...

They have to produce something, sure. Whether it'll be any good is, kinda the subject of this thread most of the time ;)

(But hey, the God Patch is dropping about Q1 2021 right? So long as the Game Changer patch goes as planned...)

Actually, I lean more towards Jenner’s post. I doubt they will ever fully release, as long as the milk money keeps flowing in. They can add system after system once the base is finished. While at the same time, pimp out different studios for work on other projects.

EDIT: I’m not sure why it tagged both of those responses here. Sorry.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom