In the Beta Spirit...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Look at all those poor characters you have wasted. They could have had a full and meaningful life, but instead you throw them away like they had no worth.

iu

Not sure why this response.
I’ve been perfectly clear.
The ability to select from nav panel or map would allow me to pick and choose when I want to use the FSS.
In some cases I might not even need to use it at all.
None of this requires the FSS to change.
For you. You are completely ignoring my point of view though.

I’m not though.
For some reason you seem to think the mere presence of the ADS fundamentally changes how the FSS works.
The logic of the FSS is entirely unchanged - if that is how you like exploring, then just keep on doing it.

So what can you do with the ADS that you can't do with the FSS, except get an instant system map?

I’m not though.
For some reason you seem to think the mere presence of the ADS fundamentally changes how the FSS works.
The logic of the FSS is entirely unchanged - if that is how you like exploring, then just keep on doing it.
No, you completely misinterpreted my point. If the ADS returns, I want to change the logic of the FSS. The FSS and ADS can't coexist in their current form. Unless you find a solution that brings both together I am against it.

So what can you do with the ADS that you can't do with the FSS, except get an instant system map?

It populates the nav panel too. You can see the effect in the video I posted earlier, or by trying it yourself in a system that's already been tagged by another player but is new to you.

It populates the nav panel too. You can see the effect in the video I posted earlier, or by trying it yourself in a system that's already been tagged by another player but is new to you.
So you are implying that once you have completed the scan using the FSS it doesn't populate the nav panel? How strange .....

No, you completely misinterpreted my point. If the ADS returns, I want to change the logic of the FSS. The FSS and ADS can't coexist in their current form. Unless you find a solution that brings both together I am against it.

That doesn't make sense. Maddogs encapsulation of the ads for location and the fss for identification is the most elegant so far and very clear.

As tools, you can use things as you see fit. It can only be a swooning overreaction like a girl toddler to go and change something that doesn't require it because of the presence of someone else. Its not needed it would purely be a response to seeing something else.

From what I've read, many people seem to enjoy the fss, there's no need to change it just to provide options for others.... but I guess if we follow the example set by frontier developments such rationality... is only able by 1/2 the design teams so yeah throw it all out I guess.

Last edited:
So you are implying that once you have completed the scan using the FSS it doesn't populate the nav panel? How strange .....

Im not sure what conversation you think you've walked in on mooka... but yeah maybe try playing the game. Its pretty clear what you can and can't do, because the fss severely hindered exploration to some people.

But in what way except for time taken to perform the task. Every time I have asked this question, Riverside only reply is' der play the game' which indicates he has no bloody idea either. So tell me, what ability does the ADS give over the FSS except greatly increase the speed of the identification/discovery of the bodies in a system?

So do you want this effect for all systems, even the non-tagged? And if so, based on what reasons? Because it was so before and has been changed meanwhile, something you still can't accept? Or where else do I get you wrong...

So you can fly there without using the fss.

Also can I thank you again for inspiring the fix for me. If I could gift you some arx I would but in can't so please take some in spirit. I finally have a workable solution, so no longer desperate. I just get to laugh that frontier designed a panning a clicking mechanic and thought it was good. For me, to be able to avoid the visual spoiler from the fss restored my game.

But in what way except for time taken to perform the task. Every time I have asked this question, Riverside only reply is' der play the game' which indicates he has no bloody idea either. So tell me, what ability does the ADS give over the FSS except greatly increase the speed of the identification/discovery of the bodies in a system?

Well mechanically panning around then orbital plane (and the chaotic clusterf it turns into when a body is not on the plane) is a miserable experience on all but a ps4 controller. Its doesn't work and is actively not enjoyable, if you don't like it turns you off from playing.. or it will require months of effort to convince yourself to like it if you're like me.

Unfortunately though its a hugely complicated issue as the 1000 forum pages have proven.. its not as simple as a missile is op or something.

At a high level, you could reasonably conclude that frontier excluded some the motives for exploration, or had no-one internally or in their market research that seemed to enjoy spaceflight (which is interesting in itself). They also happened to use an unskilled hand and concluded somewhat unnecessarily that this type of gameplay should be severely hindered.. not strictly via the fss but more by limitation of removing options. Maybe the reason why its an easy target on forums is the probably is both unexpectedly stupid and trivial to fix.

The inverse factor is its become clear there's been a militant anti ADS community that may have had a hand in it. In the one communication on the topic we've had in 12 months, they did hint at this being a possibility. Again, with some more care to service other gameplay types, I am certain that everyone could have adapted to change if it was permitted more elegantly (see riversides). But it was like someone came and amputated your arm and walked off without saying anything. It wasn't just swapping one lolly for another.

EDIT: If you want an easy test case on when the fss becomes unenjoyable, go do 2-5 systems in sequence. Like you would do out of the bubble exploring.

Last edited:
For me at least, not wasting time using the FSS to help determine if I want to take the time to explore a system further. Personally, I don't really consider using either the FSS or the ADS to be "exploration," beyond the mechanics of game-play progression.

For me, I'd say I'd rather just have nondescript world targeting info on the ship nav. panel and HUD after the honk than have a system map at all, and likewise for the DSS for that matter. I'd rather explore systems in first-person game-play flying my ship around.

Re-implementing optional, expandable functionality similar to the ADS in this regard would be a compromise for me. For the added functionality and to not undermine the FSS, I think it's fair that it would need to use a module slot as it did previously whereas the FSS dose not use one, and to be better incorporated with the FSS. Assuming both the FSS and ADS equivalent are used together, have the targets show up on the FSS view after the honk, but without providing the detailed world information unless either using the FSS as it is now to dial and zoom into worlds or, as previously with the ADS and old DSS, fly out to worlds within range.

That being said, and sorry to say, OP, I don't think betas are generally considered an appropriate place for changing around game features, just testing the functionality of existing and added features that are already determined to be changed by that time.

Cheers.

Last edited:
So you can fly there without using the fss.

Also can I thank you again for inspiring the fix for me. If I could gift you some arx I would but in can't so please take some in spirit. I finally have a workable solution, so no longer desperate. I just get to laugh that frontier designed a panning a clicking mechanic and thought it was good. For me, to be able to avoid the visual spoiler from the fss restored my game.

Finally someone provided an answer - thank you. But wasn't that one of the main complaints prior to 3.3, the time taken to fly to a body and then sit there and let the scan do it's work? I seem to remember numerous threads from commanders bitterly complaining about it, but then I do apparently only ever talk rubbish so I may be mistaken.

So in essence Commander, you would rather be forced to fly to each and every body in a system to discover what it is? Do you do that now with surface mapping? Did you do that for all bodies prior to 3.3? And since you don't want to be spoilt visually, I gather you didn't honk using the ADS as that would have given you all the information you didn't want to have.

Every time I have asked this question, Riverside only reply is' der play the game' which indicates he has no bloody idea either.

That isn't what I wrote, this is what I wrote:

Have a go at playing the game, use the discovery process in any system that's already tagged by another player, but that you have not visited before to see the functionality I'm describing.

Here's a video I recorded for a previous thread on this topic:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN_1009TZhM
Just try it in the game M00ka, or watch the video I provided. You'll see how it works.

I know what functionality I'm looking for M00ka, suggesting you test it yourself is just a way for you to see with your own eyes rather than relying on what you may perceive to be a biased source (ie my video or description).

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom