Newcomer / Intro Hit with a high fine for being stupid!

After I'd been playing for a week, I had so many fines, that I figured I was completely bankrupt, so I did a clear save and started again.
Para suggested that and I seriously thought about it. I even looked for an earlier save to load and re-do that bit again (as I can do at another sim (Martind will know which one, wink, wink)). But no. I live with my mistakes and cop the punishments. I'll pay the fine as I would in real life. Grizzle about it, as I would in real life, but learn from it. That seems to be one of the attractions here at ED: you are not going to get "spoon fed".
Personally, I wouldn't recommend looking at the mission board until you've been paying long enough to figure out what they all mean. It's much safer to go bounty hunting and exploring to make your money initially, plus you make a lot more money.
I'm one of those "preferably non-combat types", so bounty hunting is out for me. I know there will be times I have to defend myself and I will do that vigorously. But ED seems to offer me an alternative: to explore. And that's why I'm here. ;)
I made a complete walkthrough series for beginners, that includes many hints and tips that you won't find in the tutorials. If you read the comments, you can see that everyone says that they're very helpful. there are three parts. this is part 1:
Thanks for that. (y)

Last edited:
If you can hop over to Colonia, sure 😁
Colonia?
Seriously - find someone in your timezone (maybe through the Galactic Academy Discord, link at the top of the page) who is willing to do a wing mission with you, or just wing up. Most wing missions are easy to do (although the cargo missions are tedious) for an experienced solo pilot, and at the end, every CMDR signed up receives the same reward.
Similar for winged CMDRs, although here the share out from trade is IIRC a percentage, for bounties you need to get a shot at the kill IIRC.
At the moment my target is to get a better ship. And rightly or wrongly I'm following a beginner's guide to achieve that. And learning so much more as well! :D

Yes, I did abandon the mission. Thanks. It wouldn't let me "dump" it at the station (the one I bought it from). I launched and dumped it outside the station. Hopefully, it will also disappear from there. Besides its definitely not mine! No nothing about it! ;)
"Know nothing about it? But sir, the canisters we found have your ID on them! How do you explain that?". All cargo is marked with your ID, but for stolen cargo the 'abandon' option (by which you give up ownership) is not availabe, only the 'jettison' option.

Flying around with illicit cargo on board is tricky. If authority ships scan your ship, you get fined. If you dump cargo in sight of the authorities (~8km) you get fined for littering. Dumping cargo in supercruise is safe.

I predict great things for you, Wombat1940. You seem like the type of person who will enjoy Elite. It's got a serious learning curve, but that's part of the fun :)
Thank you for that. But I just want to enjoy the challenge, and there's plenty of that. However, it's that challenge that seems to make people here and at ED so enthusiastic. AND ITS CATCHING! Nothing is of so small an importance not to answer! AND POSITIVELY! Even all my stupid questions!
Give yourselves a pat on the back. It's a pleasure to be here. 👏

Ahhh... let me ramble a bit about Galactic geography and history....

So, as a new player, you started off in the newbie zone. Never been there myself, but from what I heard, it's a handful of systems with maybe a dozen stations that are unaccessible to experienced pilots. Once you leave there, you are prohibited from going back.

Next, there's the Bubble. The main aggregation of human inhabited systems in the Galaxy. A roughly spherical cluster of systems, a few hundred ly in diameter, roughly centered around old Sol, with several thousand inhabited system and thenthousands of stations.
A couple of thousand (IIRC) ly south is the Pleiades cluster. Also a few human inhabited systems, mainly research stations, roughly centered around Maia.
Some distance off the route to the Pleiades and rather recent is a new group of inhabited sytems around the Witchhead nebula (never was there after they set up the bases myself).
There are also a few single research stations loosely scattered around that general area.
This whole kaboodle is located around 22,000 ly south of the galactic center, mighty Sagittarius A*, the supermassive black hole.

Now, several years ago, there was a cyborg barkeeper (and it isn't quite clear how far the integration between this barkeeper and his bar, which actually is a full fledged Orbis starport, goes) who got fed up. With his customers, his surroundings - everything. He decided to mount a bunch of giant engines on his station, asked the pilots federation for support in fuelling him up and then attempted to jump to the other side of the Galaxy. He didn't make it. He came to a stop roughly halfway, about 10,000 ly east of the galactic center. By the time he finished his repairs, other people had drifted to the neighbourhood and called it Colonia. So far, he hasn't bothered with refuelling again and enjoys a brisk trade (on Saturdays, it can be hard to get assigned a docking bay) in EDs frontier town. Colonia now has several inhabited systems, all Engineering services (although not all of them quite up to the standard of what you can get in the bubble) and a limited supply of high end ships and modules.

"Know nothing about it? But sir, the canisters we found have your ID on them! How do you explain that?".
All cargo is marked with your ID, but for stolen cargo the 'abandon' option (by which you give up ownership) is not availabe, only the 'jettison' option.
Oh s**t that is funny! 👏😂
If you dump cargo in sight of the authorities (~8km) you get fined for littering.
Oh!!!! I love that! Here in Kuta, Bali, my home for 6 months a year, what else are you supposed to do with it? And that includes the locals AND the authorities!

So, as a new player, you started off in the newbie zone. Never been there myself, but from what I heard, it's a handful of systems with maybe a dozen stations that are unaccessible to experienced pilots. Once you leave there, you are prohibited from going back.
Very interesting ........ seriously!
Next, there's the Bubble. The main aggregation of human inhabited systems in the Galaxy. A roughly spherical cluster of systems, a few hundred ly in diameter, roughly centered around old Sol, with several thousand inhabited system and thenthousands of stations.
Might avoid that ....... Combat is not for me .......
A couple of thousand (IIRC) ly south is the Pleiades cluster. Also a few human inhabited systems, mainly research stations, roughly centered around Maia.
Some distance off the route to the Pleiades and rather recent is a new group of inhabited sytems around the Witchhead nebula (never was there after they set up the bases myself).
There are also a few single research stations loosely scattered around that general area.
That sounds more for me. Ideally, I'd like to be unarmed, but that's not reality: I'll defend myself, mark my words.
Now, several years ago, there was a cyborg barkeeper (and it isn't quite clear how far the integration between this barkeeper and his bar, which actually is a full fledged Orbis starport, goes) who got fed up. With his customers, his surroundings - everything. He decided to mount a bunch of giant engines on his station, asked the pilots federation for support in fuelling him up and then attempted to jump to the other side of the Galaxy. He didn't make it. He came to a stop roughly halfway, about 10,000 ly east of the galactic center. By the time he finished his repairs, other people had drifted to the neighbourhood and called it Colonia. So far, he hasn't bothered with refuelling again and enjoys a brisk trade (on Saturdays, it can be hard to get assigned a docking bay) in EDs frontier town. Colonia now has several inhabited systems, all Engineering services (although not all of them quite up to the standard of what you can get in the bubble) and a limited supply of high end ships and modules.
Fascinating! ...... really!
I was an Engineer before a teacher. People think Engineers wear overalls and get their hands dirty. Not true. They're "tradies". I was one of those too before I graduated at University as an "Engineer". I think "Engineers" at ED might mean "Tradies" in my terms. No harm in that. Salt of the earth!. Especially the Aussie Tradie. Only problem: every second word is a swear word ....... 😃
Colonia. Might head there. Thanks. (y)

You cant avoid combat 100%
but you can be smart about how you handle it.
In Player vs Player (PvP) combat you'll find your self out matched.
Source: https://youtu.be/C6uaAEUXzNA

Some cmdr's take pride in being the big guy

So what to do?
Try to get good at the interdiction "game".
Try to win and stay in super cruise.

But some times it is better to submit than to loose the interdiction.
That way your Frame Shift Drive (FSD) cool down cycle is shorter. Less time before you can jump again.
Submitting means you'll drop into normal space fast and (if I am not wrong) your interdicting Pirate is ripped out off super cruise.
He has to regain control over his ship to target you. This is your window off opportunity, use it!
BOOST BOOST BOOST away
As soon as your FSD has cooled down. Jump!

I'm one of those "preferably non-combat types", so bounty hunting is out for me. I know there will be times I have to defend myself and I will do that vigorously. But ED seems to offer me an alternative: to explore. And that's why I'm here. ;)

Thanks for that. (y)
If you look at the video, it's not exactly combat. You just pull your trigger to claim some money to get you started. Nobody will shoot you if you follow the advice in the vid. You'll get shot at a lot more if you do missions. In fact I can't think of any missions, apart from donation ones, that don't involve the risk of being shot at.

People try the combat tutorials and think that they suck when it comes to killing NPCs, but those tutorials aren't at all representative of what happens in the game. As you can see in the video, I got about 1,200,00 cr in bounties, and nobody shot at me at all.

Like with nearly everything in the game, it's not skill you need, it's knowledge. You get knowledge from the forums and Youtube vids. Alternatively, you can learn by your mistakes. My Headmaster from school said to me, " There are three types of people: Clever people learn from other people's mistakes; normal people learn from their own mistakes; thick people never learn. Let's hope you're in the second category because clearly you're not in the first, otherwise you wouldn't be in here".

Last edited:

I think you will find that @Wombat1940 started the game some time ago (pre-noob zone) and gave up so he is / was still in LHS 3447 - I can confirm that clear-save restarts though will be in the noob-zone, I tested this (twice).

If you look at the video, it's not exactly combat. You just pull your trigger to claim some money to get you started. Nobody will shoot you if you follow the advice in the vid. You'll get shot at a lot more if you do missions. In fact I can't think of any missions, apart from donation ones, that don't involve the risk of being shot at.

People try the combat tutorials and think that they suck when it comes to killing NPCs, but those tutorials aren't at all representative of what happens in the game. As you can see in the video, I got about 1,200,00 cr in bounties, and nobody shot at me at all.

Like with nearly everything in the game, it's not skill you need, it's knowledge. You get knowledge from the forums and Youtube vids. Alternatively, you can learn by your mistakes. My Headmaster from school said to me, " There are three types of people: Clever people learn from other people's mistakes; normal people learn from their own mistakes; thick people never learn. Let's hope you're in the second category because clearly you're not in the first, otherwise you wouldn't be in here".
Nice one. Thanks. (y)

Sorry, but where is the video .......

Probably the one in post #4:

OP I suggest don't play Solo, but on Private, the Mobius. If you play on Mobius Eurasia, we can meet in HIP 21991 1A ring and I can share with you some Painite chunks or we can mine together (I mine in T10) - a quick way to get you a better ship. Imho if you have problems with missions, leave them, if you have problems with money, mine for money. First get a good ship, then make the missions, that's my way and it pays off. Mining is safe and gets the best profit quickly. Peace!

Probably the one in post #4:

Sorry Para, still don't see it (video directive) ......

Post #4:
You can pay it off when you can afford it - do it at a Interstellar Factor - fines don't turn into bounties any more so you are OK.
You could always just "clear save" and start again (fines etc are wiped) over in the noob-zone where the first / welcome mission will give you 10,000 Cr pin money.

Top Bottom