Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Total Recall 3 (14th Dec - 22nd Dec, 3305)

Ok..lord knows I am not the world`s best SRV driver..in fact I am crap. My point is I finally found out that the SRV can go much faster than I ever thought possible.

Never a bad day when you find out something new eh?

View attachment 155709
That's awesome! if you want to learn anymore I think I have an article and a video linked in the tips and tricks section of the original post. it should be a handy guide for anyone learning how to get their SRV into the three digit club.

And.........I can see where my times are lagging now.............

Oh.jpg

I finally managed to post a time - just under the hour which I'm going to do my best to improve over the week, but over the last couple of days I've realised that 'Bob' isn't an especially good name for my SRV, maybe Crunch, or BOOM

Here's my entire run on YT so you can have a laugh at my ineptitude :)

Source: https://youtu.be/F7obgI-GAQo

See you out in The Black commanders - o7!

Last edited:
After the dust has settled from the weekend, the size of the open leaderboards has quadrupled! Activity on the course has been high, with bumps and bounces a plenty. Races are still collecting their vidchips and other recordings to hand into the race officials. As dusk descend again on Pond Reach after another brisk 14 hour day, the scoreboard flickers with an update above the landing pads and race crews, repairing damage from minor collisions, and several trying to argue with the race officials about the legality of "non-standard" landing gear one their ships to obtain an apparently valuable "lifted" look.

RGnUqxy.png

Returning to the racing scene with a blast, it's Cookiehole in his well-feared DBX RATtlesnake, coming in behind Alec's Corvette once bonuses were applied. It sounds like it was a rough run with multiple emergency drops and a replacement SRV, provided at a discount cost by Vac Lift, our esteemed race sponsor.

...This just in, race officials have received three new submissions in the past hour, and will be returning with a newly updated scoreboard and more details shortly, tune in shortly for further race coverage!
Ha! - requesting permission to rename my SRV "Suck it cookiehole".

P.S. am hammered ... know that this (and all posts) come from a place of love.

Ok. I was taken aback by the inclusion of SRV names, thinking I must have missed the feature, lol. I've never even thought about naming one. I suppose I shall leave mine unnamed, I don't see why it needs one ;)
That's fine!
When Buckyball started, and for quite awhile in fact (until patch 2.3), there were no ship names in game, but that never stopped us! We are not exactly known for following rules, and perhaps someday our SRVs will receive the respect they deserve.

...continuing from earlier...

That darkest of woods resumed his assault on the Cobra Classic, shaving almost two full minutes off his time! When interviewed after the race regarding his time improvements, even with no competition even close, he attributed all the glory to his superior driving vehicle, especially it's rugged hi-speed suspension. "I was sure I had done enough damage to break them this time. Nope."

Vac Lift spokeperson Zohaib Geller was very complimentary of the top classic racer, "We're pleased the traditional racing fans have turned out, to see what stock components can do, after all, no engineer has ever touched the SRV!"

Returning to the course in a slightly smaller ship than the Federal Corvette, a slightly sloshed Alec Turner zoomed round the course after buffing out many bents in the Schmitz Avenger's superstructure. Perhaps a suspension modification would've been helpful for the loud Brit?
WW2HPcj.png
Aside from that, Mr. Turner narrowly avoided having to call the fuel rats, and was interdicted by some fans! There's still room left to slash this time folks, but probably not while fliving. As the man himself says: "Vac Lift - when you absolutely positively have to be 7.5km away. "

PSA: If short of fuel, switch to "economical mode" can help squeeze the last few jumps out of those drops left in the fuel tank. This announcement brought to you by our lord and savior Fuel Scoop.

Returning racer Stern Winter came back to the scene in a classic DBX, seemingly a favorite among the veterans on this course. In spite of his ship named the frozen cricket, his actions appeared more like that of "a headless chicken" he said over comms to his team director on the final stretch. Room for improvement there certainly is, but thankfully there's lots of time left too, 6 full days of racing! His words for Vac Lift were much kinder than those for himself (as they ought to be). "Rock Solid and Fether Soft." I bet the Vac Lift PR team is mocking up a new ad campaign as we speak!

CMDR Sulu arrived next, the crowd letting out a gasp as he recalled his ship next to Pond Reach. They saw a graceful Imperial Courier swiftly descend, the only non-explorer ship of the day. Even with a reduced jump range, he still managed to beat the hour timer. Vac lift is appreciative of his fine words, though they have a crack crypto team trying to figure out the meaning of his SRV name "W.A.P.O.S." Very mysterious, that CMDR Sulu.

nnlB5S2.jpg

Further flavor tomorrow!

So today, with a fairly bad hangover, I decided the best course of action was to go and outfit a regulation Cobra rather than risk the SRV while still feeling somewhat queezy. Before that tho' a quick trip to Davies High to unlock the free 5th anniversary Iridescent Gleam Cobra paintjob.

Tada! I present the High Five (who's SRV will be named the Low Flive).

l83AEIL.png

Then my first attempt at a regulation Cobra run - recall ship - try to get SRV under it - won't fit. Gah! Attempt two - recall ship - try to get SRV under it - won't fit! GAH!! Attempt three - recall ship - try to get SRV under it - WON'T FIT!!! GAAHHHHHHHH!!! What the actual flippin' flip? Is it me or is the Cobra's landing gear simply not tall enough to accomodate an SRV?!?! I'm going to have to let the air out of the tyres or something.

Also - @Bruski - I suppose you think this regulation Cobra build is hilarious? So does anyone else keep trying to turn the Cargo Hatch off completely (to avoid the power warnings), end up here ..

aYmo2Uu.png

.. then use the UI Left binding in an attempt to move the highlight from where it is over to the left in order to turn the module off only to realise that UI Left sets the priority back to 1 thereby shutting down the entire damn ship?!?!?!

Ha ha - absolutely hilarious!

Honestly, I should have just stayed in bed this morning.

Shiny Cobra.
I probably have done the same thing several times with the cargo hatch, but I have my priorities set up so I avoided the shutdown. (Learned the hard way the importance of doing this). May I suggest lowering the priorities of the fuel scoop and vehicle hangar? But leave the cargo hatch at the lowest priority since the game have a bad habit of turning it back on after reenabling modules from low power.

I'd suggest turning off the power distributor on the Classic Cobra, since you don't really need to change pips during the race. Power priorities is something I have learned to do asap in a new ship, since I tend to overload new ships with a few existing modules (I was running my new Corvette with 150% power before I transferred a 8A PP with a G5 armoured mod over). Thrusters need to come first, ideally so you can run them when the PP is malfunctioning or on reduced power. FSD and sensors are also vital, so I set them the same or one lower. Life support and power distributor are next. Fuel Scoop is lowest, along with cargo hatch unless needed (e.g. on a mining ship).
As for getting back into the ship from the SRV, there's a knack but it's a bit tricky as you have to approach from just the right angle and the terrain doesn't always allow it. This is why I use a Viper MkIV as a runabout and not the Cobra MkIII (along with the utility mount placement).

Then my first attempt at a regulation Cobra run - recall ship - try to get SRV under it - won't fit. Gah! Attempt two - recall ship - try to get SRV under it - won't fit! GAH!! Attempt three - recall ship - try to get SRV under it - WON'T FIT!!! GAAHHHHHHHH!!! What the actual flippin' flip? Is it me or is the Cobra's landing gear simply not tall enough to accomodate an SRV?!?! I'm going to have to let the air out of the tyres or something.

Did you not see my solution in the last post? New Mexicans know what's up:
5IN2jCv.png

Also - @Bruski - I suppose you think this regulation Cobra build is hilarious? So does anyone else keep trying to turn the Cargo Hatch off completely (to avoid the power warnings), end up here ..

.. then use the UI Left binding in an attempt to move the highlight from where it is over to the left in order to turn the module off only to realise that UI Left sets the priority back to 1 thereby shutting down the entire damn ship?!?!?!

Ha ha - absolutely hilarious!

Honestly, I should have just stayed in bed this morning.

giphy.gif

You know, instead of setting power priorities, you could just turn it off. :p

Well doing a fair run in the Crimson Haybaler and got a bit of a surprise when I went to dock my SRV............Now I am no expert but I am sure it was in better nick than that before I gave the autopilot control. Guess it won`t buff out either!

I am curious how this happened though.
View attachment 155845
My best guess (If this isn't a joke), is that your power priorities were somehow set so that when your auto-pilot came in to land, the thrusters were disabled, and it bellyflopped on the planet like a sack of bricks. :(

Perhaps I need to start asking about DNFs, this is proving a far more difficult race than intended (though most of that is due to the terrain bugs and SRVs inability to fit under the ships). Is there a bug report for the latter issue?

My best guess (If this isn't a joke), is that your power priorities were somehow set so that when your auto-pilot came in to land, the thrusters were disabled, and it bellyflopped on the planet like a sack of bricks. :(

Perhaps I need to start asking about DNFs, this is proving a far more difficult race than intended (though most of that is due to the terrain bugs and SRVs inability to fit under the ships). Is there a bug report for the latter issue?
On a serious note I must agree the terrain glitches are becoming...................well irritating comes to mind. Bloody hindering awkward also comes to mind.

Oh and deploying my srv 5km in the air is just plain stupid!

On a serious note I must agree the terrain glitches are becoming...................well irritating comes to mind. Bloody hindering awkward also comes to mind.

Oh and deploying my srv 5km in the air is just plain stupid!
I'm sorry :( Now I know how Alec feels when a race is going poorly for uncontrollable reasons. (like dangnabbit loophole finders and the like)

My first, and completely unprepared, run for the Classic Cobra has been completed, and is currently uploading. Managed to complete the run in under an hour... but with one botched gravity braking maneuver, two planetary port approaches that were too fast to enter into glide mode, and numerous spin outs and tumbles in my SRV, there's plenty of room for improvement.

You can watch my tummy troubling tumbles once it finishes uploading in about two and a half hours. ;)

[update continued]

While CMDR Sulu was still out on the course, racer extraordinaire and host of the "Race to the Poles" spun out in the Son of the Ugly Grasshopper at incredible speed, breaking the three minute barrier to 7.5km. In his own modest way, after securing the second position on the scoreboard, far above the 7ths he expected, he mumbled something about having a "very smooth run" with only a couple obscured jumps. He attributed all the smoothness in his run to the quality of his driving vehicle though, stating "No matter the bounces of G's... with Vac Lift your kidneys remain in place!" Quite the testimonial that.

Within the same hour JCB Digger set out on the venerable Asp Explorer, a mighty ship that once reigned across many races as the best combination of range and agility. It's good to see one out on the course again. JCB is currently considering a name change for his SRV, one possibility being "Crash, Crunch or BOOM!" Sounds like it's been a rough ride out there for this CMDR, but he managed to beat the one hour timer at least! By FOUR seconds. Gonna need a razor to slice that any thinner.

Unsatisfied with his earlier time, we saw Shaye returning to the course with determination and aplomb, cutting his classic time by more than another minute! At this rate, will he break 35 before the week is out?

Finally managed to get a regulation run submitted. Had two badly obscured jumps, a recalled ship which came down 3km away and decided to dismiss itself again when I was 2/3 of the way back to it ..

4iQ0iG9.jpg

(come back you idiot!)

.. and an NPC who decided to "have me" at a time which really wasn't convient ..

bb8elrc.jpg

Looks like Shaye won't be sucking it after all. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Top Bottom