In-Development RGB Keyboard support for Elite

o7 Commanders! (this is a dupe thread from Dangerous Discussion as I think this is a better place to post this kind of stuff)

Long time ago I've tried to create a Java app to support RGB keyboard lighting for my Logitech keyboard (the old thread). After some time it felt like a dead end so I moved to other things (thanks to @TomW1605 for somewhat keeping that project alive while I was gone!).

Long story short, I've decided to use Aurora (https://www.project-aurora.com/) to bring this project back to life with support for more devices and I am at a point where feedback is needed.

Current supposedly working features are:
1) Key binds are highlighted automatically from the game
2) Different color groups for different category of game actions
3) Some keys are pulsatingg when a cetain ship function is active (cargo scoop, lights, silent running, etc.)
4) Only keys, that can be used are highlighted (e.g. FSD keys are dimmed while mass locked or FSD in cooldown, etc.)
5) FSD countdown, hyperspace, hyperspace exit animations
6) Customisable colors for command groups
7) Some other stuff I may have forgot

Updated work in progress video:

List of Aurora supported devices: https://github.com/antonpup/Aurora/wiki/Supported-Games-&-Devices
The profile was officially merged into Aurora: https://www.project-aurora.com/
Issues/requests can be posted here: https://github.com/DrParanoia/Aurora/issues

Please let me know what you think. Is this something you'd like to see? Is it worth it? Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes... Yes... please give. I would enjoy it and I'm sure others might as well. Looks like you have everything you need to use. Do you have a profile that you could share alongside the executable?

Yes... Yes... please give. I would enjoy it and I'm sure others might as well. Looks like you have everything you need to use. Do you have a profile that you could share alongside the executable?

Hey there. Are you talking about my key bindings? Because the color profile is in the software build which I've posted in the first message (https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/u8hxatn4diwfvp7g/artifacts/Build/Aurora-v0.6.4b-2.zip). It should "Just Work"
as soon as you open the game (asuming you've got Aurora running).
Since there was very low interest, I've currently paused furhter development (at least until aurora UI rework update comes out). But even at current state it should be very much usable!

Though feel free to post any bugs you find on the issue tracker. If someone besides me will start using it, I may just continue the development.

Last edited:
Oh, ok. I had just downloaded it from the Aurora website. Didnt see that it was forked. I will test it out tonight. Thanks for the clarification!
Though feel free to post any bugs you find on the issue tracker. If someone besides me will start using it, I may just continue the development.
For sure! Depending on my time, I might be able to help a little, even if its just finding the bugs. :)

Oh, ok. I had just downloaded it from the Aurora website. Didnt see that it was forked...
Yep. Once enough people are happy with it, i'll make some final polishes and Aurora devs will merge it into main.

For sure! Depending on my time, I might be able to help a little, even if its just finding the bugs. :)
Any help is appreciated. Finding bugs specially :D

Brilliant work! Thanks for sharing it.
Thanks! Please let me know if it works for you and also if there are any bugs/glitches or misbehaviours in the lighting.

Last edited:
Interesting. Will have to try this out. I have tried Aurora earlier, but found too many bugs and conflicts with Logitech software.
Does Aurora behave when G Hub is running now?
(I know G Hub is a terrible piece of software, but it's all Logitech provide)

Interesting. Will have to try this out. I have tried Aurora earlier, but found too many bugs and conflicts with Logitech software.
Does Aurora behave when G Hub is running now?
(I know G Hub is a terrible piece of software, but it's all Logitech provide)

To be honest I've never tried G Hub. I only have Logitech Gaming Software installed (which is basically essential for any SDK to work). As for Aurora, I simply disable all other profiles except the ones I need. Plus, it's best to go into Aurora settings and disable all other SDK's that your PC does not have (such as Razer, NZXT, etc.).

And for some reson, completely uninstalling Aurora and simply using the .zip version solved a lot of problems with Aurora for me.

Any chance you can release the profile only, as the aurora software is now updated. Love the profile and really want to try it out, especially the hyperspace effect.

Will the triggers work while using voice attack ?

Any chance you can release the profile only, as the aurora software is now updated. Love the profile and really want to try it out, especially the hyperspace effect.

Will the triggers work while using voice attack ?

The profile is more than just that. It contains code to read Elite's journal files and process them. So it is impossible to release it separately. I will take a look and try to update my build to the latest branch. I am not sure what you mean by "is now updated" though because my code was already based of the Auroras development branch.

Sorry, should have been more specific. There is a new version of Aurora 0.7.2, which loses your elite profile when updated. I used the previous version in your link which worked well, although the effects for lightspeed didn't work (everything else seemed to)

Thanks for the response :) much appreciated

Sorry, should have been more specific. There is a new version of Aurora 0.7.2, which loses your elite profile when updated. I used the previous version in your link which worked well, although the effects for lightspeed didn't work (everything else seemed to)

Thanks for the response :) much appreciated

I've updated my fork (and the download link) to the latest Aurora dev version. You can try downloading this version https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/o82b2huiecuem9ew/artifacts/Build/Aurora-v0.7.2+16.zip.

Superb, seems to all work, apart from the hyperspace effect. Wondering if that could just be my keyboard (SteelSeries M800). Or possibly because the key binds are different.

Great work though, will be using this for sure.

Thanks for the update, loving it

Superb, seems to all work, apart from the hyperspace effect. Wondering if that could just be my keyboard (SteelSeries M800). Or possibly because the key binds are different.

Great work though, will be using this for sure.

Thanks for the update, loving it

Don't think it's related to key bindings. Do you have any other ED software? Maybe some of it is blocking the Journal file read?

Top Bottom