Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club Presents: A Halpy Hand (11th Jan - 19th Jan, 3306)

UPDATE: Bonus challenge details are now public!
sigh ... I was actually toying with sitting this one out, what with being some way into what is looking more and more like another planetary circumnavigation ... but with these bonus challenges it seems our new race organiser has just dialled things up to 11. Bloody hell ... guess I'm gonna have to plant a flag down here and come back to this planet later. You do realise the reputation of the Buckyball Racing Club is gonna be in tatters, there won't be an insurance company in the galaxy that'll touch us with a barge pole after this. :ROFLMAO:

Okay... an iCourier could still boost to 820...840 m/s in racing loadout (including the fish) at the same jump range as the Hauler. That's a solid 1200 to 1600 seconds bonus over the Phantom (depending on how far down you want to run your hull - and how small a fuel tank you are willing to risk).

[...] but with these bonus challenges it seems our new race organiser has just dialled things up to 11. Bloody hell ... [...]You do realise the reputation of the Buckyball Racing Club is gonna be in tatters, there won't be an insurance company in the galaxy that'll touch us with a barge pole after this. :ROFLMAO:
Welcome to the Hull Seals! Arf!

At which jump range? I haven't checked the distances personally (currently rebuilding my gaming rig - and even if I complete this in time, which is unlikely at least, my CMDRs are nowhere near the bubble), but from what I've read, a healthy jump range may also be necessary, which is not exactly what the iCourier or the Viper excel in - at least not if you want to keep the speed high.
I threw together a theoretical Hauler, though. Fully engineered, 699 m/s boost would be possible (and independent of the cargo), but with the required load, the jump range would be a measly 45 ly. On the other hand, a Phantom would be limited to 590 m/s, but could jump 67 ly.... so, ~600 seconds of bonus, i.e. ~12 jumps, vs. 20 ly more range. Intersting concept. I'll be watching.
Courier limited to 47ly or so and Viper less..but I am thinking even ten extra jumps is a small price to pay for 30 mins plus bonus. As for the Hauler..I have mine at 699 but it runs so very very hot it is hard to keep it together.

Ok managed to run the whole course with 9% hull with all bonus points averaging 850 m/s..there were a couple of glitches however but still with the bonuses this may work. I would suggest getting jailed is not helpful however.
I look forward to racing so here goes...

Intent to race

Unlimited Class
Imperial Courier
Anabasii Celeste

Questions:
1) I assume we need to show an empty cargo hold before we start (no fish). Is it OK to already have a limpet tho?
2) Do we need to start with 100% hull, canopy intact or can we start pre-damaged?

Questions:
1) I assume we need to show an empty cargo hold before we start (no fish). Is it OK to already have a limpet tho?
2) Do we need to start with 100% hull, canopy intact or can we start pre-damaged?
1) Yes, no fish in hold, limpets are ok.
2) You can start pre-damaged if you want.

Oh dear, someone has added one of those crazy speed challenges that Little Nuk likes to include in my races!
Now you all get to see how terribly badly I'd have done at my own crazy challenges. o_O
Curse you Dr. Nagi, did Bruski put you up to this? ;):LOL::love:

The Nomad only boosts at about 530m/s, so I'll have to run something faster in the bonus challenge. :cool:

Intent to survive at least once.
CMDR Raiko
Unlimited
Spirit of Icarus (Imperial Courier)

Am I correct in thinking that I can run in The Nomad for a lower real time and also Spirit of Icarus for a lower adjusted time?
I think that's correct from the 3-4 leaderboards, but not sure that I'm allowed two unlimited ships.

Am I correct in thinking that I can run in The Nomad for a lower real time and also Spirit of Icarus for a lower adjusted time?
I think that's correct from the 3-4 leaderboards, but not sure that I'm allowed two unlimited ships.
4 leaderboards from the looks of it

My argument against having to start with 100% hull would be that it only costs time in restarts until you get your hull "right". Not fussed personally, I have time.

...and we seals are happy to report a little incentive for this race!
unknown_5.png

Hull-Seals_scan_1.jpg

...one of our lovingly-embroidered Hull Seal patches, for each of the winners of this Buckyball!

Good luck, and every-seal start your engines!!! ARF!!!

...and we seals are happy to report a little incentive for this race!
unknown_5.png

Hull-Seals_scan_1.jpg

...one of our lovingly-embroidered Hull Seal patches, for each of the winners of this Buckyball!

Good luck, and every-seal start your engines!!! ARF!!!
Oh wow - awesome!

Just completed my first trial black run - this is gonna be "challenging". Had an absolute hoot last night trying to smash my canopy. First off I ran into Cmdr Sulu who spent some time shooting me in the face with multi-cannons. Alas their damage tends not be very, ahem ... focused.

2Q0UnKK.png

Also tried battering face into station as suggested by Cmdr Sulu ..

EL9d4gI.jpg

.. but lost another 4 or 5 ships doing variations on this.
Eventually decided there was only one sensible course of action ..

4Zbc8KE.png

You know what - going to Shinrarta in Open mode and actively asking people to shoot you in the face is incredibly liberating - I heartily recommend it.

k0DqRKp.png

Got blown up a couple more times but eventually Cmdr Crimson Kaim and his Fed Corvette came out and did the job perfectly (give or take a spot of collateral damage). Thanks commander!

8v7PQEK.png

Did have a moment of rofl when, having thanked him I then tried to dock to refill my air before the journey back and discovered I couldn't move because he'd taken out the thrusters but a reboot/repair sorted that out. Then it was back to Arfstrom Station ..

jBfjKBi.png

Made it with a couple of minutes to spare too! Now all I got to do is make sure I'm never more than 7.5 minutes away from air, learn how to gravity break without being able to see the eta, and ... most important ... never, EVER, press that button!

LfHYWqw.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom