How long has this (PDs) been an issue?

I'm talking about point defenses shooting down any and all missiles in proximity, regardless of whether those missiles are targeting the ships equipped with those overzealous PDs. I don't believe it's always been this way, as I don't remember this on PS4. It makes missiles pretty much useless in any scenario where there are lots of ships around, like a RES or compromised NAV beacon. Even my own ship will waste PD ammo shooting down missiles being exchanged by "strangers" that I have to quarrel with!

The way it should work is that only missiles fired from hostile ships are targeted. This way we can still provide a screen for our wing, protect our SRV from Guardians, intercept dumbfires, etc. They can also target based on lock or trajectory to prevent another player gut-punching you with a salvo of missiles before they are identified as hostile (red triangle).

Anyway, I used to like missiles, but now I just don't see any point (defense wink wink) in using them except perhaps in one-v-one assassination missions.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as "friendly missile" or "friendly torpedo". Any missile fired by another ship is a potential threat. And your PD's job is to (try to) shoot down any potential threat in the vicinity of your ship. shruggs
Be glad they do only that. There was a time, back then, when PDs were shooting down even your own missiles. :LOL:

You can counter PDs on nearby ships to some degree by launching at close range and always launching salvos of at least two. BTW I'm talking about dumbfires (technically they're rockets as they have no guidance system). Seeker missiles take too long to lock-on to be useful in my opinion.

I'm talking about point defenses shooting down any and all missiles in proximity, regardless of whether those missiles are targeting the ships equipped with those overzealous PDs. I don't believe it's always been this way, as I don't remember this on PS4. It makes missiles pretty much useless in any scenario where there are lots of ships around, like a RES or compromised NAV beacon. Even my own ship will waste PD ammo shooting down missiles being exchanged by "strangers" that I have to quarrel with!

The way it should work is that only missiles fired from hostile ships are targeted. This way we can still provide a screen for our wing, protect our SRV from Guardians, intercept dumbfires, etc. They can also target based on lock or trajectory to prevent another player gut-punching you with a salvo of missiles before they are identified as hostile (red triangle).

Anyway, I used to like missiles, but now I just don't see any point (defense wink wink) in using them except perhaps in one-v-one assassination missions.
It's always been like that. I wouldn't use point defence for RES farming. I think shield boosters and KWS are always going to be more useful.

It's always been like that. I wouldn't use point defence for RES farming. I think shield boosters and KWS are always going to be more useful.
My complaint is more about neutral NPCs shooting down my missiles rather than my PDs shooting down neutral missiles (something boosters won't help). Like I said, I actually used to enjoy having missiles as part of my arsenal.

Its always been like this. I used to flip up security Anacondas after ramming them, and use their PDs to attack missiles fired by other security, then blow out thier powerplants at point blank range John Wick style.
Weird... It feels new to me. Maybe PS4 is different? I dunno. No matter, it is what it is. Now if only Frontier would John Wick a fix!

Weird... It feels new to me. Maybe PS4 is different? I dunno. No matter, it is what it is. Now if only Frontier would John Wick a fix!

This was pre 3.x- around 2.3 / 2.4 if I recall. You can see it happen in CZs all over if you get close to large ships with no shields- other NPCs go totally batty and pelt missile after missile at it.

well, shooting a pair of dumbfires so they pass before a ship on docking approach can result in a nice fireworks if the said ship is equipped with PDT :)
it will cost you only a small fine

You have a point.
I think a refinement of PD would be nice.

Perhaps we could get some settings options to choose from, comparable to our setting for turrets.
For example:
1. fire at all hostile missiles (for when you are part of a wing)
2. only fire at missiles locked/targeted at own ship
3. fire PD in random directions
etc.

Also: Neutral npc's should never take down your missiles with their PD.

My complaint is more about neutral NPCs shooting down my missiles rather than my PDs shooting down neutral missiles (something boosters won't help). Like I said, I actually used to enjoy having missiles as part of my arsenal.
If you don't take PD on your ship, it can't shoot down your own missiles! isn't that the solution rather than giving up your missiles?

The other problem by extension is why chaff only affects my enemy and not blanket jams everyone. Its an inconsistency party and everyones invited.

PD really does need some sort of FoF ability.
Chaff messes with ships that are targeting you. Maybe we could argue that it should mess up targeting of a ship that tries to target another ship through your chaff cloud, but as a whole, chaff isn't an AOE disruption like ECM for example.

If you don't take PD on your ship, it can't shoot down your own missiles! isn't that the solution rather than giving up your missiles?
Our own PDs don't shoot down our own missiles - where did you get that idea? No, what I am saying is that if there are 5 NPCs in close proximity, and I fire at an enemy who doesn't have a PD, one of the "bystander" NPCs will shoot down my missiles. This should not happen, nor can I do anything about it except give up using missiles (which is a shame, because I like missiles).

Chaff messes with ships that are targeting you. Maybe we could argue that it should mess up targeting of a ship that tries to target another ship through your chaff cloud, but as a whole, chaff isn't an AOE disruption like ECM for example.

I was going to make a post in the Suggestions area for chaff removal and instead have a class of weapon thats a directional jammer. Means attackers have less weapons, it requires power and can be twiddled with- it also means that an attacker has to be LOS with a victim.

Top Bottom