New FSS Feedback thread - Good and Bad

Really bad too is that in the location list the geological sites aren't numbered so not sure how you work out which ones you've been too...

EDIT
Unless you actually select them and the you can see them.

This change was made after beta - so no

Hmmm... that seems like a bad idea in general. Untested changes dropped after public live testing.

Move resolution to the start-up of the FSS, at least then it's not impacting you just for the act of jumping through the system.

ETA: I'm in favor of this over the patch-notes solution BUT not at the cost of jerky play trying to scoop-n-scoot.

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
Early doors but initial feedback

REALLY BAD!
Huge unplayable SC stutter caused by planet generation on entering a system, regardless of honk or FSS use, more bodies = more stutter.
After more testing I found that all bodies with locations state 'resolving'..... until one by one they resolve.
My best guess it the stuttering is related to all the planets trying to resolve at once
Further update: More testing shows that once you have resolved a system and go back to it there is no stutter. If you want to test this you need to go to a system you have not been to before. I guess this bug effects explorers the most. Traders, pirates and PvP players should be ok.

Nailed it (I Hope) - Landables are the root cause - systems with bodies but no landables seem ok. However if there are landables / features (Bio Geo) then you get stutter.

BAD
Materials still scroll on 2 - 3 panels } Thought this had been put on 1?

GOOD
System map now shows locations and type in info panel } Yay!
FSS does show location types instantly below panels ] Yay!
G3DAONl.jpg

Will add to this thread, finding some weird things but investigating. Screens to follow, please add any of your findings and will add here ..

Brains

Hey OP, have you reported this on the Issue Tracker? If not, please do and the team can investigate! https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/11894

But does this "keep" after logging out? If it remembers forever (like some form of caching), then that will make running missions in a specific sector of space more tolerable. However, this doesn't solve the problem for explorers who are always going to NEW systems...

This may not seem a "big deal", but in VR the effect is like being poked in the eyeball, over and over again!
Bad news i'm afraid... just tested that senario and.. it starts all over again :(

piFEqpw.jpg

Deleted member 38366

D
I'm seeing the occasional stutter upon System entry as well but only in Systems already discovered by someone, plus multiple Bodies with Geologicals need to be present.

It vanishes quite quickly for me and upon FSS'ing me the Body Details I frequently see precise Data on Geological Planets already (again, only in pre-explored Systems).

Looks like a number of them (Bodies w/ Geo sites) are being resolved in explored Systems upon System entry, which I personally like.
I had a very similar suggestion during the Beta to begin being computed during the Hyperjump already in order to save time for the full resolving by the time the FSS is targeting them. Others noted however, that Players with weak GPUs might see too many downsides and experience prolonged unstable FPS. I assume this is what happens basically.

With the solid working of the new FSS probabilities and optional full resolution of any selected Body, there may be more downsides than benefit of this process, especially when GPU power is limited and in Systems with plenty of Geological Bodies.

Other than that, I really like the new instant display of relevant Body Info in the FSS, that helps accelerating things very nicely - plus the solution of resolving the Data to attain precise Info a short while later is very elegant :)

(I'm very near the bubble so I haven't gotten a chance to see how things work in a pristine untagged System that contains Bodies w/ Geologicals)

Last edited by a moderator:
But does this "keep" after logging out? If it remembers forever (like some form of caching), then that will make running missions in a specific sector of space more tolerable. However, this doesn't solve the problem for explorers who are always going to NEW systems...

This may not seem a "big deal", but in VR the effect is like being poked in the eyeball, over and over again!

I've popped into a few new systems, they've only had a few bodies each with geo and the stutter is almost not worth worrying about because the time spent with that little bit of stutter is massively shorter than the time spent waiting for geo/bio to resolve. In large systems with many geo bearing bodies it may be different, I won't know until I find one.

Speaking of things vanishing quickly in the FSS, try getting a new discovered things, like a terraformable planet in a new sector.
That notification vanishes faster than you can blink and just pops up as "New discovery, press O to check the codex"

Looks like a number of them (Bodies w/ Geo sites) are being resolved in explored Systems upon System entry, which I personally like.

Same here so far, I do like it the way it is, even if it wasn't meant to be this way. I will quite happily sit there for a few seconds waiting for the stutter to go away if it means I don't need to sit and watch a spinning circle for a lot longer.

Deleted member 38366

D
I do wonder though... as far as I remember I've seen some Bodies w/ Geologicals already being fully resolved in previous Version(s) already, for as long as someone else tagged them before.
(well outside the 25-30Ls auto-scan Range)

So technically the auto-resolve for some Bodies with Geologicals in tagged Systems wouldn't be a new thing to me.
At least that's how I remember it. I can't recall the temporary unstable FPS upon System entry though, that's definitely a new thing.

Speaking of things vanishing quickly in the FSS, try getting a new discovered things, like a terraformable planet in a new sector.
That notification vanishes faster than you can blink and just pops up as "New discovery, press O to check the codex"

This one is easy to go around : just discover all possible entries in your Codex.
(ok, I'm just joking...)

Same here so far, I do like it the way it is, even if it wasn't meant to be this way. I will quite happily sit there for a few seconds waiting for the stutter to go away if it means I don't need to sit and watch a spinning circle for a lot longer.
I don't like it.
If they decided to make it this way (generation of all planets in the system), then why not during the loading screen aka hyperjump?
Stuttering when flying around the star is annoying.

TBH I quite like it this way too. All PoI's are calculated before even going into FSS and the PoI count is immediately available when scanning one of the landable planets with them.

of course they did but in typical frontier fashion they weren't told what they were supposed to do they were just given the beta
It certainly wasn't in the beta! Instead we had tabbing data that took longer to guess then move tabs than my PC could do a normal resolve!
Now I get FPS drop to around 100 from 130 (4K resolution) for a 10 or so seconds and everything gets resolved... not exactly what was expected 🤷‍♂️

This one is easy to go around : just discover all possible entries in your Codex.
(ok, I'm just joking...)

I'm ok with this solution. I'll just need to make sure it never happens again. Just some trivial things. I'll need the locations of all forms of life and Raxxla I suppose.
You know, wouldn't want it to be a recurring issue later..

Top Bottom