High-end mining material prices seem maybe a little bit TOO volatile

online multiplayer games work that by their nature when designed in a way that assets can accrue indefinitely. Unfortunately that's how fdev designed the game so that players who started long ago will acrue more things over time and keep them than players who started much more recently.

The difficulty of acquiring stuff shouldn't get easier with time though. That's not how things work in a online multiplayer game. Once a proper balance is found, it remains pretty much static or is dictated by the economy if it's player based. Either way it's normalized over the length of the game unless it's very broken at some point.

The fact that older players can get tired of the grind is a different matter and besides the point. I dont care how much you want to see or do and how long you spent playing the game and that you're tired of having to care about credits/materials/reputation etc. Those are the game mechanics that price rewards. This isn't a single player game where you can just run a cheat trainer or mod the game to make everything free. You dont get a break because you want one. The game should be the same game for people whether they have been playing it for a decade or just started.

The problem with elite is that these inbalances happen frequently and the economy is static and insanely simplistic so that it can't deal with them and fdev has little to no incentive to care about how it impacts anything because in the end it's covering up the fact that the gameplay needed to get credits tends to be mostly boring so nobody complains about free credits.

Well, you can always adapt to the new prices and get money like everyone else, it is not more easier for others, and if you are already an elite merchant, its normal to go for great prices to trade and leave the low for when you start, once someone trades with gold * in real life, it is unlikely that they will sell copper. *

balancing prices would be something like that all costs the same but with a difference of a few hundred credits?mine opals is a pain, gold and other products can be easily bought at any station.

and I think the price increase could be for a reason ,a plan for everyone to have access to the FC´s.

Well, you can always adapt to the new prices and get money like everyone else, it is not more easier for others, and if you are already an elite merchant, its normal to go for great prices to trade and leave the low for when you start, once someone trades with gold * in real life, it is unlikely that they will sell copper. *

balancing prices would be something like that all costs the same but with a difference of a few hundred credits?mine opals is a pain, gold and other products can be easily bought at any station.

and I think the price increase could be for a reason ,a plan for everyone to have access to the FC´s.

The broken economy is a totally different subject. The fact that we're mining/trading various items and all of them mean nothing in terms of making a difference to the game is a different problem (other than the hand-picked times where a certain item is needed for a certain mission).

I dont have a problem with price changes and having to adapt to them and trying to game the system to make more credits than someone who just blindly trades with the nearest station. The problem occurs when the rewards vastly outstrip the risks, devaluing the currency to nearly 0. If the goal is to make the currency worthless by giving everyone a ton, then just get rid of currency altogether because it serves no purpose.

Though a better solution than that without fixing the idiotic economy that fdev created for elite is to adjust prices for personal inflation (if you have tons of credits worth of assets, then your cost of everything you buy in the game is drasticaly increased in scale with your asset worth). So sure, you can sell painite and make billions in a few hours. But even the cost of a sidewinder is now 100 million credits. Adjusting the cost of all items into a % of total assets means there is no incentive to massively acquire credits because the cost to you will be the same anyway. You in essence, can't be "too rich" for the reward barriers of the game.

At least until a better economy is introduced so that the currency isn't infinite and based around so many other things that are infinite with 0 inflation response.

The broken economy is a totally different subject. The fact that we're mining/trading various items and all of them mean nothing in terms of making a difference to the game is a different problem (other than the hand-picked times where a certain item is needed for a certain mission).

I dont have a problem with price changes and having to adapt to them and trying to game the system to make more credits than someone who just blindly trades with the nearest station. The problem occurs when the rewards vastly outstrip the risks, devaluing the currency to nearly 0. If the goal is to make the currency worthless by giving everyone a ton, then just get rid of currency altogether because it serves no purpose.

Though a better solution than that without fixing the idiotic economy that fdev created for elite is to adjust prices for personal inflation (if you have tons of credits worth of assets, then your cost of everything you buy in the game is drasticaly increased in scale with your asset worth). So sure, you can sell painite and make billions in a few hours. But even the cost of a sidewinder is now 100 million credits. Adjusting the cost of all items into a % of total assets means there is no incentive to massively acquire credits because the cost to you will be the same anyway. You in essence, can't be "too rich" for the reward barriers of the game.

At least until a better economy is introduced so that the currency isn't infinite and based around so many other things that are infinite with 0 inflation response.

I still don't understand that you think that getting money faster makes the game easier, when you buy an anaconmda, you need more money to equip it,do missions for meet enginers, find lots of materials for engineers, travel distances, get a certain range of combat that is now harder than first years of elite .... ranges in powers for more ships ...

I did my trade range without mining a single stone a year ago, just transporting things, because I thought of mining as my next rol level after distributing a lot, lol, going to get my own products .... believe me that nobody plays in the same way and nobody will go from day one to get a lot of credits undermining,and if you did that, you couldn't do too much with it, except buy ships and modules, donate it....

What else can you do with a lot of money in the game, does it give any real advantage? Without engineering your ships, the only advantage is to make many rebuys. I personally do not even give it much importance when there are other things quite difficult to achieve.

(If there were no rebuys, nothing would happen, it happens in other games without much drama)

Last edited:
If the goal is to make the currency worthless by giving everyone a ton

The goal is to build rough resemblance of irl economy in controlled steps and see how the whole thing responds to player actions. One of those steps is limiting demand introduced in fresh patch.

, then just get rid of currency altogether because it serves no purpose.

Yeah, screw progression. Every new player starts with all ships in his shipyard and goes straight to the endgame. And then exit. Brilliant thinking. Just chuck out an element of economy and forego all future developments that may go with it. Nobel prize in gaming. (Shakes hand)

I say 1 bil for the carrier, 500 bil for the upgrades.

Come on guys, if you can afford to have your own spaceship in a galaxy, making a lot of money should be the rule (you can already do it on earth if you buy a truck) and it shouldn't be difficult since we are able to travel between systems! compared to the total population in the game, the pilots must be like privileged millionaires,and money the least of our problems.

Last edited:
Well, I just wanted to check the outrage tonight and we're only at page 3. Not much drama it seems, compared to the usual post-patch I'm-going-batshitcrazy threads.
It almost seems like this patch was pretty succesful.

Yes. I'm sure this mainly positive experience will prevent any similar hysteria ahead of the next patch too.
50Uac3H.gif

Yeah, screw progression. Every new player starts with all ships in his shipyard and goes straight to the endgame.
There is no Endgame. Badum Ts!

The economy is flawed. If you want to make money, you go mining. Full stop. We all agree, nothing makes more cash than mining.

But we have 300 or so commodities.
What for?

Why do we need water? Food cartridges? machines? Who is trading in that, other than some hardcore role player, who thinks that dropping off 700t of food cartridges will solve a famine? So you made 700x 300cr? And that in 20 minutes? That ship you are flying to deliver the 700t cost 10000 more than the meager profit you just made. Just saying.

Credits are good, the economy needs a serious overhaul at some stage.

Yep, the main problem is the galaxy sim is infantile. But why bother improving that when we can have PP, CQC, PMFs, Squadrons, Fleet Carriers....

There is no Endgame. Badum Ts!

The economy is flawed. If you want to make money, you go mining. Full stop. We all agree, nothing makes more cash than mining.

But we have 300 or so commodities.
What for?

Why do we need water? Food cartridges? machines? Who is trading in that, other than some hardcore role player, who thinks that dropping off 700t of food cartridges will solve a famine? So you made 700x 300cr? And that in 20 minutes? That ship you are flying to deliver the 700t cost 10000 more than the meager profit you just made. Just saying.

Credits are good, the economy needs a serious overhaul at some stage.

Funny you should say that. Now let's assume everything works as intended with proposed demand changes, so what happens next? Players satisfy painite and opals demand, so next batches will become cheaper and cheaper. At some point serendibite becomes more attractive than both opals and painite, so we switch to that, scoop it all up, drive the prices down too. Switch to the next commodity. Who knows, maybe some day we'll be hauling food cartriges. Result: rapid drop in prices and profitability of trading in commodities across inhabited space.

That is, provided, I interpreted the changes correctly

Funny you should say that. Now let's assume everything works as intended with proposed demand changes, so what happens next? Players satisfy painite and opals demand, so next batches will become cheaper and cheaper. At some point serendibite becomes more attractive than both opals and painite, so we switch to that, scoop it all up, drive the prices down too. Switch to the next commodity. Who knows, maybe some day we'll be hauling food cartriges. Result: rapid drop in prices and profitability of trading in commodities across inhabited space.

That is, provided, I interpreted the changes correctly
Now THAT would make total sense.
By the time we are hauling food cartridges, the prices for VO and LTDs would be back up.

But also it should mean that in famine, the price for food cartridges and meat and vegetables would go through the roof as well. So if the regular price for grain is 400 (currently 396 in LHS 538, my home system) during famine, please would be paying ANYTHING to survive. price for food should go 10, if not 100 fold.
There are always people who WANT to survive and have the money to pay to do so.
Looking at the movie 2012, only the rich get to buy a ticket for millions of Euro, just to ensure their own survival. I doubt humanity will evolve in 1000 years to be less selfish.

But in terms of market fluctuation - It would be nice to see other high end good have higher prices. If no one mines Serendibite, let the price soar. Everyone floods the market with Painite - let is plummet, until it's all used up.

One ton of Panite in today's earth market would be worth about $226,800,000,000 USD!!!!. It is 50-60k per carat currently.
But the supply and collection of it in ED is trivial therefore prices would change accordingly.

IF you could mine tons of panite with unlimited supply like in ED it would be worth very little even in the real world

Last edited:
Top Bottom