Void Opal Deep Core Mining - Help

I made my first billion finding about 70 to 100 void opals an hour but I've seem to hit a plateau. I've been flying around in void opal hot spots everyday for an hour and can only find about 15-20 void opals now. I have found some tutorials, but with my experience, it seems that only the medium sized rocks, with a bright golden color and red outline, seem to turn up with anything at all, when using the pulse wave scanner. Large and small rocks with the same color pattern don't turn up with anything. I have confirmed this with using a prospector limpet. When I do find a medium sized rock, with the color pattern that I described above, it sometimes may not come up positive and have any materials because it won't have any fissures. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I am worried that deep core mining is going to be nerfed because I have read that the background economy simulation is going to be fixed with the upcoming fleet carriers update. The supply and demand is going to be updated in real time so you may not get full price for everything you have if the demand is quite low. It is kind of weird to sell 100 void opals to a station for a million credits a pop when the station is only in demand for one. So am I going to make 3 million an hour now looking for a dozen or so void opals or other rare materials because I can only sell them at a galactic average? Because I can imagine other players beating me to stations that will be selling high. What are everyone's thoughts about this?

Color and luminosity in the PWS means bupkus and changes depending on your range to the asteroid and viewing angle. The PWS only detects motherlodes, it does not distinguish between types of motherlodes. The most reliable way to spot VOpal motherlodes is visually.

Scan with the PWS and simply take a good look at the rocks that light up. If a rock is medium-largish and (popped) popcorn kernel shaped, it might be a VOpal motherlode. If you head towards it and it keeps looking like a big kernel of popped popcorn, hit it with a prospector limpet to make sure. If the PL confirms VOpal then, go to work!

Note that there are also small, popcorn-shaped motherlodes that are not VOpal. These are "NOpal" but make sure they are actually small and not just far away. o7

Popcorn shaped, and medium sized, for a Void-Opal motherlode. Took me a while to get them down, now it's pretty easy.

But they do seem to be getting harder to find... Maybe it's my own impression...

Some extra and advanced tips:

- Scan in SC the hotspot, you will see brighter and darker lines across the rings. In the "deadzones" (no light on the scan) you may find no crackables at all so try to move parallel to the planet you orbit on a bright line, the thicker the better

- Activate night vision to better spot fissures

- Try to have the main star (light source) in front of you because the PWS scans are better visible in the shadows/dark. No light is even better

- Avoid large and pointy asteorids, crackables are special shaped ones that got freshly introduced in the mining and exploration updated.

- If you feel like you don't find any crackables, jump to SC and select a new area to mine, repeat with the first tip.

Some images of void roids ;)

This one has visible fissures
s0EBzja.png

This IS the shape you're looking for
2MmjcRH.png

The pulse wave image should look like this, hint hold down the scsn button
rYe9H4B.png

[...]
Also, I am worried that deep core mining is going to be nerfed because I have read that the background economy simulation is going to be fixed with the upcoming fleet carriers update. The supply and demand is going to be updated in real time so you may not get full price for everything you have if the demand is quite low. It is kind of weird to sell 100 void opals to a station for a million credits a pop when the station is only in demand for one. So am I going to make 3 million an hour now looking for a dozen or so void opals or other rare materials because I can only sell them at a galactic average? Because I can imagine other players beating me to stations that will be selling high. What are everyone's thoughts about this?

I just wanted to add something: Frontier have told us that you will still get the full credit amount for your transaction. The demand is updated afterwards and not "during" your transaction. So I guess you'll still be able to sell your full cargo hold for the best price, but I assume it will be harder to find those best sell places. Maybe you won't be able to just look them up on Inara or EDDB because when people visit those stations and sell there the price immediately drops. We'll see.

Other than that, getting the correct asteroids is varies a lot, it's RNG.

I've been on four or five VO runs I think and have gotten very different results, but my sample size is quite small too.

Keep in mind that graphics hardware and settings not to mention people’s eyesight affect the colours and details shown by the PWS, keeping the PWS firing does seem to intensify the effects as does getting closer.

Yes Void Opals and the other core materials are going to be subject to the same market variations as anything else from now on, the upside is that all sales of mined materials are 99%+ profit.

All rocks with VO cores are the same size and shape, though they might look different depending on from which angle you look at them. The brightness you see on the PWS doesn't mean much. You can can get a good clue when you see the rocks around one showing reflected light, even without being able to see the actual VO rock. When you find a bright shining rock with the right shape, approach it and check it visually for fissures. Only fire a prospector if you see the fissures.

Better still, go double hotspot painite mining. It's much more consistent and reliable, and you'll make money much faster.

Pro-Tip: If you're getting cramped from holding down the PWS trigger/switch/button/key, do what I did:
I bound the PWS to my Trigger #1, found a strip of velcro and wrapped it around my joystick to hold down my trigger #1. This way, the PWS scans at maximum speed and I do not have to hold down the trigger. If I find a core I can easily strip off the velcro strip with my thumb. o7

Keep in mind that graphics hardware and settings not to mention people’s eyesight affect the colours and details shown by the PWS, keeping the PWS firing does seem to intensify the effects as does getting closer.

THIS.

Depending on video card, monitor calibration, and eye sight, those colors may not be the same. But I can verify that shape and scanner intensity are consistent clues to a deep core 'roid.

I made my first billion finding about 70 to 100 void opals an hour but I've seem to hit a plateau. I've been flying around in void opal hot spots everyday for an hour and can only find about 15-20 void opals now. I have found some tutorials, but with my experience, it seems that only the medium sized rocks, with a bright golden color and red outline, seem to turn up with anything at all, when using the pulse wave scanner. Large and small rocks with the same color pattern don't turn up with anything. I have confirmed this with using a prospector limpet. When I do find a medium sized rock, with the color pattern that I described above, it sometimes may not come up positive and have any materials because it won't have any fissures. What am I doing wrong?

Mine LTD. they sell for a similar price and you can laser/core mine for them. I’ve made 2 bil this past week with my T10.

laser mine until you find an asteroid with a core, then back to laser mining

I don't know were I get my information from. I thought the Fleet Carriers were coming out today. I'm must've jumped from another dimension.
Thank you everyone for the reply's. The community is alive and well :)

If its yellow and looks like popcorn have a look for fissures. Then prospector limpet to confirm.

I've found that sometimes they dont have to be that bright at all. Just be yellow,popcorn shaped and fissures.

Pro-Tip: If you're getting cramped from holding down the PWS trigger/switch/button/key, do what I did:
I bound the PWS to my Trigger #1, found a strip of velcro and wrapped it around my joystick to hold down my trigger #1. This way, the PWS scans at maximum speed and I do not have to hold down the trigger. If I find a core I can easily strip off the velcro strip with my thumb. o7
Oh man I rly love those homemade exploits.

Top Bottom