Long distance travel - Experienced help needed

Thanks to you all for replying. Its appreciated. Ive just ordered a 4K 2.0 hdmi cable as well as I've been having awful issues with this game not displaying correctly! Looking forward to trying some of these things out tomorrow 👍🏻

I'll just add that sometimes you can't just "go straight", but have to follow the "arms" of the galaxy's spirals.

448385608.jpg

So travel from the base and follow the arm out, the black gaps between arms can be tricky to get across with smaller jump-range ships. The Python is fine, it'll just take more jumps to get anywhere. You can get it to 40Ly with an explorer build.

I wouldn't obsess about range too much: before engineering people got around the galaxy in much lower ranges, 28Ly would have been kinda high back then. I took a 17Ly Python to Jaques (before Colonia existed), and did all sorts of trips in a 24Ly Cobra MK3. Cmdrs have gotten to Beagle point in a Sidewinder.

Best of luck, don't forget you can call the Fuel Rats if you get into fuel difficulties.

Deleted member 166264

D
...Well my ship is struggling to jump now as I get further out. Is it normal to just point your ship in a direction and just wait it out until you can jump? I have tried maintaining a line as close to the galactic plane as I can but these stars are quite far apart..

If you're needing to fly towards your next destination system for a bit before being able to jump what's really going on is that you've selected a system just past your ship's current jump range, and you need to burn off fuel in order to make the jump (or dump cargo if you have any). A ship's jump range is based on its mass, so any cargo, your fuel, and your ship's outfitting all play into your jump range.

You can use materials stored on your ship to synthesize (create) supplies, limpets, ammunition and other things such as repairs. Look in Panel #3>Inventory>Synthesis.

Dangerous advice for a new traveller as it could result in a stranded Commander, stuck beyond the natural jump range with insufficient materials to synthesize any more jumponeum.

I would instead suggest that you stop your current exploration and head along an establish path to a known endpoint.

Head back to the bubble, restock, review what you have learnt so far and make any changes to your ship that you think will help you.
Then, as a first trip outside the bubble, head to Colonia via the Colonia Highway (Google search to find the waypoint stations that you should jump between or follow some of the expeditions previously completed in EDSM)
Once at Colonia, then think about doing a dogleg onto Sagitarius A and the Station there to pick up the PS4 trophy.

It'll give you good experience of space travel whilst also keeping you close to the main routes where the Fuel Rats and Rock Rats can support you if you got into trouble.
As you head towards Colonia, you will learn a lot about what Space Wayfaring entails and whether it is right for you.

On the positive:
Lots to see, great sights to view

On the negative:
There is a high degree of repetition involved in Space travel, Space Madness is real

Other tips that I have learnt:
A good fuel scoop is arguably better than a good FSD - much better to get somewhere in one piece than to fly too close to a star and burn up.
Take an SRV with you for when you want a change of scenery from the cockpit. There is a certain release after spending a day jumping to land on a planet just have a drive around.

… whilst also keeping you close to the main routes where the Fuel Rats and Rock Rats can support you if you got into trouble.
I'll just clarify that the Fuel Rats will save you wherever you are, but it'll be much faster the closer you are to the main play areas.
Just in case anyone read's Snowymonk's comment as we won't come to out of the way places.

Take an SRV with you for when you want a change of scenery from the cockpit. There is a certain release after spending a day jumping to land on a planet just have a drive around.
True. Also a SLF if you've got a ship for one, enjoyed blatting about distant worlds with no fear of main-ship destruction.

Just for a moment let us assume you don;t know how to use the galaxy map system for auto plotting..

I think you need to do some research on on how to auto plot. Auto plotting automatically sets up a route given your jump range at the time you set it.

Note: if you are setting a course into a permit zone that you do not have a permit for, your plotting will fail to set. Learn to read the info displayed. Take the time to study what you are attempting to do...
There is a LYear limit on how far you can plot. Set for no more than say, 1000ly's to start with on long distant travel ( say Sag A)

The logistical side of the game is part of the challenge and so too is the internet research needed to navigate all the objectives.
If you have the time it is well worth it IMO.

Most importantly have a good and methodical look at the galaxy mapping system, including min and max jump range.
Make sure you have a good fuel scoop installed with good shields also installed so you can scoop fuel with out over heating.
Keep an eye on your fuel guage if travelling through a Brown Dwarf star dead spot as sometimes fuel-able stars can become quite rare.

The Python will do the Job but there are better craft more suited, but if you don't know how to use the galaxy map system then it doesn't matter what craft you are flying.
Safe journey commander!

Last edited:
Dangerous advice for a new traveller as it could result in a stranded Commander, stuck beyond the natural jump range with insufficient materials to synthesize any more jumponeum.

I would instead suggest that you stop your current exploration and head along an establish path to a known endpoint.

Head back to the bubble, restock, review what you have learnt so far and make any changes to your ship that you think will help you.
Then, as a first trip outside the bubble, head to Colonia via the Colonia Highway (Google search to find the waypoint stations that you should jump between or follow some of the expeditions previously completed in EDSM)
Once at Colonia, then think about doing a dogleg onto Sagitarius A and the Station there to pick up the PS4 trophy.

It'll give you good experience of space travel whilst also keeping you close to the main routes where the Fuel Rats and Rock Rats can support you if you got into trouble.
As you head towards Colonia, you will learn a lot about what Space Wayfaring entails and whether it is right for you.

On the positive:
Lots to see, great sights to view

On the negative:
There is a high degree of repetition involved in Space travel, Space Madness is real

Other tips that I have learnt:
A good fuel scoop is arguably better than a good FSD - much better to get somewhere in one piece than to fly too close to a star and burn up.
This a million times!

I'll just clarify that the Fuel Rats will save you wherever you are, but it'll be much faster the closer you are to the main play areas.
Just in case anyone read's Snowymonk's comment as we won't come to out of the way places.

True. Also a SLF if you've got a ship for one, enjoyed blatting about distant worlds with no fear of main-ship destruction.

Sorry for the potential misrepresentation. Stinja expressed what I was trying to say better.

Top Bottom