Roadmap leaked??

“This hamburger is dull and under seasoned. It lacks flavor.”
You “OH SO YOU CANNOT EVEN TASTE IT AT ALL?????? I BET IT HAS SOOOOMMMME FLAVOR, SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE A LIAR AND EVERYTHING YOU SAY SHOULD BE DISMISSED FROM NOW ON!!! I AM VERY SMART!!!”

Seriously man you’re being dumb on purpose and you know it. Stop it. Meaning is contextual, qualitative statements are almost always relative, and the second line ought to provide all the context you need to understand what is being conveyed here. Instead you fixate on nitpicking one single word choice to the detriment of the conversation. You’re arguing against a point that no-one is actually trying to make. Can you say anything of any substance about the point being made, or is your MO to just dance around the topic playing word games?

The quote, again, for context:
“Yes, I've seen that. Unfortunately, we have FD's past record of releasing content that lacks game play.

What is FD's definition of gameplay is enough gameplay - being able to go to a bar in order to pick up missions, and recruit pilots? I fear space legs won't contain enough meat depth.”
This game lacks so much gameplay in the actual game that people have turned to trolling on the forums to fill that stinky gap. There is almost no point to try and make good points on these forums.

Sorry. Just going by what the dictionary says. Maybe you should read it sometime.
Dude. Dude.
This is the dictionary definition YOU posted (emphasis added)
“lacks
  1. the state of being without OR not having enough of something”

The Dictionary, the one you quoted, says that the post you’ve been nitpicking (and doubling down on the nitpick) is in fact using the word correctly.

Elite has all the gameplay of the previous ones just in a different form, you can mine, engage in combat, trade, explore.

Yes these things sometimes are not to the standard our memories of the predecessors would like but they are still in there. Maybe the next big update will flesh it all out some more all I'm gonna say is with all the other space Sims out there it better be a golden carrot.

Dude. Dude.
This is the dictionary definition YOU posted (emphasis added)
“lacks
  1. the state of being without OR not having enough of something”

The Dictionary, the one you quoted, says that the post you’ve been nitpicking (and doubling down on the nitpick) is in fact using the word correctly.
Its all in the context mate. In anyway he is wrong. The game doesn't have a "lack" of gameplay no matter which way you use the phrase. So it makes little difference.

The game is full of gameplay options. What's missing is meaningful reasons to do the gameplay in the game.

Elite has all the gameplay of the previous ones just in a different form, you can mine, engage in combat, trade, explore.

Yes these things sometimes are not to the standard our memories of the predecessors would like but they are still in there. Maybe the next big update will flesh it all out some more all I'm gonna say is with all the other space Sims out there it better be a golden carrot.
Which other "space sims" are you referring to here? Not counting games that are not released yet, games that are actually space shooters, games that are set in a fantasy space world. X4 might be close, but I think it didn't really work out.
A lot of players, including me, play Elite because it's closer to a believable reality than other games and apart from Elite's prequels not a single game comes to mind, which delivers in this discipline. I am pretty sure that Elite is safe for now.

I'm not saying that I don't want it to improve. I do. I just want it to improve in what is so unique about this game. The simulation, the science, the interaction with whatever is out there (like atmospheric planets) and so on. Every single game featuring space ships can deliver pew pew or epic fantasy-space visuals. That's just absolutely not what I am looking for when playing a (real) space sim.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
This game lacks so much gameplay in the actual game that people have turned to trolling on the forums to fill that stinky gap. There is almost no point to try and make good points on these forums.

Or, hear me out here, some players just get burnt out or bored of a game after hundreds or thousands of hours (which is perfectly normal after such large times, in any game), can´t cope with the loss and decide instead to "hurt" the very thing they have spent so many hours with by dumping that feeling on the forums to fill that hole? Best recommendation in those cases? Take a break overall and come back when there is something new to try that may pick your interest. No harmed feelings.

Last edited:
Or, hear me out here, some players just get burnt out or bored of a game after hundreds or thousands of hours (which is perfectly normal after such large times, in any game), can´t cope with the loss and decide instead to "hurt" the very thing they have spent so many hours with by dumping that feeling on the forums to fill that hole? Best recommendation in those cases? Take a break overall and come back when there is something new to try that may pick your interest. No harmed feelings.
I'm sorry Viajero, but that is a theory washed over and applied to too many comments now, and in many cases it's simply not true, I don't go trolling posting on the forums of Bethesda demanding change to Skyrim or Fallout 3, or flooding the forums of Minecraft demanding fixes for whatever problem is currently 'hipp' I still play those things and when I stop it's because I've had enough for the time being, I have thousands of hours on those games and other games/sims and put them down when my 'I wanna play this game' bucket is empty. I want to play this game but what I got out of the Box when I bought the game isn't what I get now... I understand that change is necessary, but if those changes affect the player adversely then he/she (the adversely affected one) might still want to play but not under these new conditions, it doesn't mean they need to take a break, they're probably having one right now and want to get back to playing the way they used to!

I'm sorry Viajero, but that is a theory washed over and applied to too many comments now, and in many cases it's simply not true, I don't go trolling posting on the forums of Bethesda demanding change to Skyrim or Fallout 3, or flooding the forums of Minecraft demanding fixes for whatever problem is currently 'hipp' I still play those things and when I stop it's because I've had enough for the time being, I have thousands of hours on those games and other games/sims and put them down when my 'I wanna play this game' bucket is empty. I want to play this game but what I got out of the Box when I bought the game isn't what I get now... I understand that change is necessary, but if those changes affect the player adversely then he/she (the adversely affected one) might still want to play but not under these new conditions, it doesn't mean they need to take a break, they're probably having one right now and want to get back to playing the way they used to!

You should stick to already finalized games if change bothers you.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

I am afraid it is true, man, and applicable to a ton of cases here. Obviously not saying all of them as that would be hard and unfair. And, by the way, you also see the same behaviour in those other games you cite too and many others, especially those games that are in constant growth and evolution, like mmos. Demands about fixes and changes you can find them in all those, and even in larger numbers in some cases. And often times the more hours the player complaining has (i.e. the closer to burn out or boredom) the harsher and the more disproportionate the criticism.

Last edited:
I am afraid it is true, man, and applicable to a ton of cases here. Obviously not saying all of them as that would be hard and unfair. And, by the way, you also see the same behaviour in those other games you cite too and many others. Demands about fixes and changes you can find them in all those, and even in larger numbers in some cases. And often times the more hours the player complaining has (i.e. the closer to burn out or boredom) the harsher and the more disproportionate the criticism.

Grind seems a major contributor to it. The more zenned out long term players all seem to advise against doing it.

my god, post of the week right here^.

i'm sure we've all had periods of boredom with ED, and after hundreds of hours in it I sure have, so I take a break, several months at a time maybe, go play/do other things, then, something will trigger me to want to get back in to my ship, to go back out into the black, jump back into that SLF and go canyon skimming, in VR, and fall in love with the game again, for a bit.

I've never felt the need to bemoan the overall game for what it is, I've spent so many hours in it it would feel hypocritical to do so, so i walk away for a bit, knowing i'm just burned out.

At the moment i'm back in love with ED, and waiting (oh.. the 'g waiting FD!) for some kind of news on what the next great thing will be so I can begin to look forward to, read up on and engage with others on what this will be.

:)

Top Bottom