Where do they sell Stations Auto-Exit Computer...?

Here’s a pro tip if you’re having problems with big ships. Use a smaller ship you are confident at flying to go and purchase the advanced docking computer. Go back to your home station and transfer the module to storage. Change back to your big ship and transfer module. Full docking automation enabled.

-k

In real life I'm a truck driver. Truck drivers come in two basic varieties: those that can, and usually have driven virtually every type of truck out there irrespective the quirks, foibles, and idiosyncrasies of the various types and applications, and those that are licensed to drive heavy vehicles and that's about it.

Surprisingly, I've found that most truckers I encounter fall in the second category. Those of us, like me, who are in the first category have a name for those in the second.

We call them 'steering wheel attendants'.

Think on :D :D :D

In real life I'm a truck driver. Truck drivers come in two basic varieties: those that can, and usually have driven virtually every type of truck out there irrespective the quirks, foibles, and idiosyncrasies of the various types and applications, and those that are licensed to drive heavy vehicles and that's about it.

Surprisingly, I've found that most truckers I encounter fall in the second category. Those of us, like me, who are in the first category have a name for those in the second.

Qualified, not yet competent :)

I don't see the connection between inexperienced truck drivers and video game pilots that enjoy using abyssmally slow automated docking programs.

In any case, here's your medal 🏅

Here’s a pro tip if you’re having problems with big ships. Use a smaller ship you are confident at flying to go and purchase the advanced docking computer. Go back to your home station and transfer the module to storage. Change back to your big ship and transfer module. Full docking automation enabled.

-k
even better: buy sidewinder, store the advanced docking computer that comes with it, switch back to your big ship, sell sidewinder
don't even need to track one down, nearly every shipyard will sell you a sidey

I, for one, love to hit autodock and go pass water or pay the fridge a visit in the meantime. See no shame in that. The undocking sequence on the other hand can really be a pain. I frequently pushed the throttle up myself after having waited so long in queue although the airlock is immensely large and empty.

I, for one, love to hit autodock and go pass water or pay the fridge a visit in the meantime. See no shame in that. The undocking sequence on the other hand can really be a pain. I frequently pushed the throttle up myself after having waited so long in queue although the airlock is immensely large and empty.
Particularly fun in busy stations is when the ADC scrapes you along the side of the station while you wait in a queue. Lost patience yesterday and found that you can get a beluga out through the slot even when another ship is heading in at the same time :D

The docking computer should be taken out of the game in my opinion. There was a lot of discussion at the time it was implemented and my views haven't changed, if you can't steer it don't buy it. Imagine the passengers consternation on a jumbo jet arriving at Heathrow when the pilot announces, " this is your captain talking, we are about to land and I have just handed control of the plane to ground control". Or the captain of the Queen Mary coming into dock at Southampton leaving computer sensors to avoid ramming the dock?.

Taking off from a landing pad and exiting the station isn't exactly hard though is it? Using terms like qualified and experienced in relation to this gameplay aspect is a bit ridiculous and is at best unskilled labour no harder than opening a tin of dog food and placing it in a bowl.

And no there is no such thing as a station auto-exit computer sold in game. You could however script or macro it if you wanted just like players have done with the absence of an autopilot.

The docking computer should be taken out of the game in my opinion. There was a lot of discussion at the time it was implemented and my views haven't changed, if you can't steer it don't buy it. Imagine the passengers consternation on a jumbo jet arriving at Heathrow when the pilot announces, " this is your captain talking, we are about to land and I have just handed control of the plane to ground control". Or the captain of the Queen Mary coming into dock at Southampton leaving computer sensors to avoid ramming the dock?.
I go the other way and say the docking computer module should be removed and the functionality made a standard part of all ships equipment - you can use it or not as you like. The advantage of not using it being much quicker entry to and egress from stations. Same with super cruise assist. Basic computer functionality should be basic. We've all been magically given a discovery scanner and that seems much more powerful and useful as a piece of kit.

Particularly fun in busy stations is when the ADC scrapes you along the side of the station while you wait in a queue. Lost patience yesterday and found that you can get a beluga out through the slot even when another ship is heading in at the same time :D
as long as you do it under 100 and the incoming ship isn't another beluga or a T9 or something, getting out of the slot when another ship is coming in is pretty easy

well, they're no longer coming in the slot by the time you're done, but you get the picture

What if you can steer it; you've docked and undocked flawlessly countless times, but as a triple-Elite King-Admiral you RP that it's beneath you to handle the ship yourself?

So, most jumbo jets use a FMC auto flight system, and the pilot isn't actually flying the plane except to make small corrections as needed, and to tell the comp to do a go-around, etc. Pilots in commercial planes are nothing more than steering wheel attendants, and this is years before the 34th century. Most passenger liners also have some form of auto course, so that whole point is kind of moot.

Grinding for the docking computer should be a thing though. You should not be given one in the first ship you are given, and it should cost quite a few creds to buy one. Pretty much like original Elite was. Just my opinion of course! I understand that some new pilots have problems with docking, but imho, it is something you should have to master and earned.

Top Bottom