SO TIRED of trying to find Pharmaceutical Isolators & Military SuperCaps

OP

This is why i pretty much stopped playing elite a couple of years ago.

Fortunately dcs and il2 has filled the hole. I have recently got vr (for the flight sims) and this has meant i have tried it a bit in elite as well, which is great by the way. But its no more than a couple of joy rides, because then i remember finding g5 mats, and having to use the mats trader to trade at a sh*t rate for the ones i actually want.

Then i jump back into an f14, f16, f18 spitfire or mustang and have fun.
Seems like my situation, just I am back into this rabbit hole now. But I am starting to feel the call of BRRRRRRRT...

Seems to me you know the answer; do more than just combat missions ;)

I was halfway through typing a much longer version of that reply and then I thought 'actually why am I bothering to waste my time?' I'm sure OP, this chap and the others who keep refusing to consider using traders also spend half of every day in the butcher's berating them for not selling air fresheners. You can't argue from a position of logic against that mentality because it just goes in one ear and out the other.

I was halfway through typing a much longer version of that reply and then I thought 'actually why am I bothering to waste my time?' I'm sure OP, this chap and the others who keep refusing to consider using traders also spend half of every day in the butcher's berating them for not selling air fresheners. You can't argue from a position of logic against that mentality because it just goes in one ear and out the other.

As I keep a very small stable of ships, the lack of Supercaps and PI's has never been a problem for me, so I never have reason to complain myself. Doing nothing but combat, I am always drowning in manufactured mats and my home station has a manufactured mats trader to boot.

Only agreeing that finding these mats could certainly be an annoying problem for anyone who does a lot of engineering. Ideally there should be a way to go about acquiring any needed item in a game, without having to resort to gathering other things and trading for it.

As I keep a very small stable of ships, the lack of Supercaps and PI's has never been a problem for me, so I never have reason to complain myself. Doing nothing but combat, I am always drowning in manufactured mats and my home station has a manufactured mats trader to boot.

Only agreeing that finding these mats could certainly be an annoying problem for anyone who does a lot of engineering. Ideally there should be a way to go about acquiring any needed item in a game, without having to resort to gathering other things and trading for it.

So, what you are suggesting here is that everything be available for credits? Yeah, I can see how that would be great for balance. Seems reasonable to me that you can buy unmodded modules off the shelf and that mods require additional work - ever done a major changeover or conversion on a car, they are never as straighforward as a cash transaction.

One day I'll work out why people buy games and then want to change them to what they want, regardless of the devs or other players thoughts on the matter. Did these people not research what they were buying?

Ideally there should be a way to go about acquiring any needed item in a game, without having to resort to gathering other things and trading for it.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm.

If its not: This game provides three methods for getting mats. (1) finding them directly (2) getting them from mission rewards (3) material trader.

Some mats are difficult to find directly or from mission rewards depending on the player's activities, etc. Enter the material trader. Gathering things to trade (or trophy item, whatever) is a very common element in video games, kinda the 'meat and potatoes' of most I have played. Hence I'm not sure if your comment was sarcasm.

So, what you are suggesting here is that everything be available for credits?

Which forum are you reading? Are you sure you're replying to the correct person?

Items should be acquirable through game mechanics. If they are found in system with a specific state, there should usually be some systems in that state for you to explore, for example.

That the supposed to be hard to find item is a bit too hard to find is true, personally I don't see that a way of trading other items for the one you can't find is a less acceptable way of acquiring the one you want humans have been doing just that for millions of years.

If you take Elite delivery missions you'll get no end of Deadly and Elite Anacondas as mission enemies who drop PIs. I wouldn't say you'll get ton of them for the time invested, but at any given time I have 20-30 of them from this activity. I'm still only a Dangerous scrub, so perhaps these missions do get an upgrade to Vettes once you hit Deadly or Elite in combat--dunno.

Nope its still a PI winner at elite.

Which forum are you reading? Are you sure you're replying to the correct person?

Items should be acquirable through game mechanics. If they are found in system with a specific state, there should usually be some systems in that state for you to explore, for example.

They are available through game mechanics.. Collect materials via the various methods, visit the Engineer.. Maybe it's because I drift around the galaxy so much, but I rarely find myself too far from what I need.. What I want is a different matter.

This whole 'discussion' is due to someone deliberately limiting their opportunities to find materials, people pointing out that self limiting your choices is not an issue with the game and, it seems, people who never did any pre-purchase research. Material collection in Elite is easy, assuming you play the game to its full extent and don't limit yourself to 'just combat' or 'just mining'.

I guess it depends on what we're calling a lot of engineering really, I have 16 ships fully engineered for specific roles and quite a few swap-out weapons and other gear in storage. I keep getting this awful feeling that I accidentally sold the grandfathered class 5 shield that could fit on my Cutter thanks to a secondary roll that upped the optimal mass, I really must check that one day.

For me at least, it has never been easier to acquire the materials I need. I wouldn't have touched material traders before the ability to get all the HGEs in a system visible from a nav beacon scan because they're best used for trading across or down, never up, and you could spend half an hour or more just circling in supercruise waiting for RNGesus to smile on you and spawn an HGE in the old days. Now with the ability to just drop at the nav beacon in a high population system in Boom state, do a 20 second scan and fly straight to them, the time taken is usually less than it would take me to even find one of the rarer government and state combos on the galmap. In particular for pharma isolators I haven't even bothered looking for a system to get them from since they introduced HGEs being visible from a nav beacon scan, I've just grabbed whatever old crap I can get from the closest HGE and traded for them. Same for military supercaps actually, although they're one of the things I need less frequently.

You're right that the potential range of materials available from missions is limited and I would like to see that addressed but there's a problem with it, in that as soon as you make say 10 more materials potentially available that way, you're massively diluting the chance of any one specific material being available for a particular mission type at a particular station. The only ways around that would be a) increase the number of missions available at any one time, which I'd love (it's nuts that I can check the board at a system with a population of 3 billion and only find about 30 jobs that need doing) but which we know the game just can't handle from when they've tried doing it in the past, or b) give the player a choice of what materials they want for their reward from a set of maybe five different ones. That's probably feasible but I don't think FDev see a need for it. I could be wrong though, after all they did listen and introduce the different reward types we have now where we can go all in for influence or materials in exchange for a reduced credit reward.

Last edited:
A number of these posts offer a master class in sychophancy.
I guess lacking any valid argument, you can try and make that claim.

I have always puzzled over why superficial assertions about arguments seem to placate some. The OP provides reason and evidence for their claim. Simply asserting they are lazy is not an argument but an ad hominen attack. Note that an ad hominen is not to be confused with an insult. As in one is ignorant and should study up.

But then, that might detract from drinking beer...

Just trade for them, only takes a few minutes.

Along side blaming individuals for failures of game design and implementation, another rhetorical strategy of sychophants and sock-puppets is to claim everything is easy, peasy, breezy. Which of course presupposes the blaming of individuals for systemic problems.

Rhetoric is an ecology of signification....

A number of these posts offer a master class in sychophancy.

I have always puzzled over why superficial assertions about arguments seem to placate some. The OP provides reason and evidence for their claim. Simply asserting they are lazy is not an argument but an ad hominen attack. Note that an ad hominen is not to be confused with an insult. As in one is ignorant and should study up.

I didn’t assert he was lazy, he laid the evidence for it quite thoroughly.

Along side blaming individuals for failures of game design and implementation, another rhetorical strategy of sychophants and sock-puppets is to claim everything is easy, peasy, breezy. Which of course presupposes the blaming of individuals for systemic problems.

Rhetoric is an ecology of signification....

You don't half spout some crap.

I really like tasty cold beer, not gonna lie. It does take priority.

Also, I really like this game, which should not be confused with being good at it. But certainly getting enough mats together to fully engineer a ship really isn't that tough compared to many other aspects of the game, even for a crappy player like myself. Like others have said I scoop up most of the mats just from playing the game. Now I'm only talking about engineering my ship of the month not a whole fleet in a single week. If you are trying to engineer a fleet.... well ya its going to be a big boring grind. Should be no surprise there. Maybe I have played too many other MMO where I gotta grind a month of dailies for some silly trinket.

So what exactly is the issue with getting mats for engineering a ship? Is it really that tough? Really?

I read the OP several times. I'm pretty sure the OP is saying collecting mats is just too hard. He specifically asks for a nerf (in caps). Please correct me if I misunderstood the OP.

Not intended as a personal attack on the OP or anybody else, but I would be too embarrassed to post on an internet forum that I found collecting engineering mats in ED just too darned hard. Yes the forum is anonymous, doesn't matter.

Top Bottom