SO TIRED of trying to find Pharmaceutical Isolators & Military SuperCaps

It's a design oops. Not a programming one.

You are saying FDev implemented Material Traders to "cover up" a design oops? That seems equally improbable.

It is pretty obvious Material Traders provide an alternate method for getting mats. If there was an inept design/programming whatever "oops" I'm sure it would have been much easier to fix the oops by having more mat drops than implementing a whole new game element. As I said it seems like a very intentional game addition, not some bandage as stated by others.

You are saying FDev implemented Material Traders to "cover up" a design oops? That seems equally improbable.

It is pretty obvious Material Traders provide an alternate method for getting mats. If there was an inept design/programming whatever "oops" I'm sure it would have been much easier to fix the oops by having more mat drops than implementing a whole new game element. As I said it seems like a very intentional game addition, not some bandage as stated by others.
Dude it took them 2 years to fix the design oops. That crap they initially released didnt have them.

Lol, you must be fairly new, certainly not here since the beta....

The material trader would like to speak with you.
This. The common theme in these threads is that some materials are hard or impossible to find in HGEs. Well, here's an amazing concept: maybe this is by design. Some materials are easily available from signal sources. Some are often offered as mission rewards. Some lie around at Dav's Hope etc. Some materials are much rarer than others. Why did anyone think that every material would be found in every type of gameplay? Recall the engineer unlocking processes; FD have a great liking for encouraging people to try different avenues of gameplay. Here it is again.

I guess that they once thought this would work. Materials would be the reward for varied gameplay and G1-5 upgrades would be the graduated rewards for us to aspire to.

Well, there are some who apparently want to do only one thing in game but still get all the rewards. Very well, the material traders are for them. The nasty rates of exchange are the built-in disincentive for taking that path: if you want to get what's intended as a mission reward from HGEs it will take longer than doing the missions would have done.

Lol, you must be fairly new, certainly not here since the beta....

Yep, fairly new. Its worth reflection with respect to the topic at hand. A casual player for almost 2 years but reasonable overall gaming experience elsewhere. I would rate my overall skill at this game as medium to low. So you think gathering engineering mats is really that tough? A really big grind? And material traders were introduced by the developer to cover-up mistakes. Okee Dokee.

Another sign you are reading a sychophant or sock-puppet - exaggerated claims.

Another sign you're reading a troll - makes claims casting doubt on someone's statements without the slightest scrap of evidence. In this case you couldn't have any evidence because what I posted was true. If you don't believe it, I don't particularly care but I would suggest that you might want to spend a bit less time posting nonsense on here and a bit more time playing the game. It sounds like you have a tenuous grasp of what you can actually do within the confines of the current paradigm.

I'll also point out that didn't involve any re-logging or any other similar exploits. If you want a few pointers, I'll start you off with this. Set your map filter to high population systems in boom and investment states and before you decide where to jump, check the system map for your intended target and ensure that it's not a binary system with the secondary star 100k ls or more away from the first. That's how you drop into a system and find 8 HGEs within 7k ls of the spawn point...

Or you can just carry on calling me a liar, I can't say that I give a crap either way.

An even grindier one. With the added quirk you get to discard stuff that was a pain to get in the bad trade ratios.
I said it was an alternative, not that it was better or worse but a valid alternative.

Personally I have found all sorts of manufactured materials while playing as normal that for which I have no or little use which I am happy to trade whenever I need something that hasn't shown up to get some engineering done.
This playstyle obviously isn't going to be popular with anyone who wishes all versions of every ship in their fleet to be fully engineered in a matter of weeks but for anyone who has not set themselves such time pressures it works well enough.

Yep, fairly new. Its worth reflection with respect to the topic at hand. A casual player for almost 2 years but reasonable overall gaming experience elsewhere. I would rate my overall skill at this game as medium to low. So you think gathering engineering mats is really that tough? A really big grind? And material traders were introduced by the developer to cover-up mistakes. Okee Dokee.

I have done over 3000 g5 upgrades 5000+ in total, and haven't really played for the last 2 years, engineering from when engineers were first introduced ( ugg) until its current form, and have many engineered legacy modules that are better than what you can make now.

I doubt there is a single thing you could tell me about finding mats, peroid.

To answer your queston, by the 30th ship, its just plain boring, its not tough, just boring.

And if you think fd have never added band aids to this game, you're either delusional or fairly new (in your case fairly new).

I got my moneys worth out of this game anyway, and still check in to see if theres anything new in the last 2 years (not much), do the odd flight in vr, and then go back to other games (mainly DCS).

I have had a lifetime pass since the beta, so if anything exciting ever happens again, i can come back anyway.

Last edited:
Hey FDev! Wake Up! Listen to the music! While I can't speak for everyone (as I'm sure some wit will point out) many pilots I've talked with are tired of searching for these Grade 5 Manufactured Mats. First, finding a system in Outbreak is difficult, then once you find one, the chance of finding a HGE from the Faction in Outbreak is nigh impossible!!!

Are you TRYING to get rid of pilots? Tired of all these people finding bugs and other boring things that cause you to actually work? Hey, no customers? No Bugs!

Some may say pouring salt here is not advantageous. However this has been a problem since the HGE NERF. Just ask Down To Earth Astronomy.

I currently need 5 Biotech Conductors. Only obtainable from Missions. Not finding these missions, I need to farm 35 Military Supercapacitors or 35 Pharmaceutical Isolators (or 1295 Conductive Components... LOL). Not finding those I need to farm 210 Imperial Shieldings. That's 70 Imperial Shieldings (each white square provides 3 items), and assuming 3 finds per HGE that's over 23 HGEs I will need to find to trade up. If I'm very luck I'll find 5 Shieldings to pick up (ooh 25 Imperial Shieldings! Only 185 to go!)

Is this really the kind of GRIND you want us to go through? REALLY? I can only assume you want your player count to drop because otherwise you would fix this. But NOOOOOOOO!

More than a few pilots have quit (per statements on Reddit) because of the Engineering Grind. I'm sure you underpay someone to monitor these forums, and they have to tippy-toe around making unpopular suggestions like "Hey, people are leaving the game because we aren't providing access to the mats they need" (How dare you make a suggestion! YOU'RE FIRED!)

Unfortunately for you I WON'T QUIT! I'll just keep complaining until you make the game worth playing for Pilots who aren't Triple Elite with every ship Engineered to the max.

How to fix it? BRING BACK THE NERF. You make us exit and restart every loop at Dav's Hope, so why not do the same for Grade 5s? At least the ones that are near impossible to find. (you can do that ya know... via programming) OR add more Mil SuperCaps and Pharm Isolators to each HGE. Maybe 10 (Times 3 = 30 each HGE) white squares per HGE? SOMETHING!

Back to the search... this will take days and days to complete. Yay.
This is why I stopped playing altogether. Engineering was the only thing keeping me going, but the grind has become too painful to do. I just wont do it. Even trading at material traders isn't much better. Its still a massive hours upon boring hours of grind. Ah no thanks.

Another sign you're reading a troll - makes claims casting doubt on someone's statements without the slightest scrap of evidence. In this case you couldn't have any evidence because what I posted was true. If you don't believe it, I don't particularly care but I would suggest that you might want to spend a bit less time posting nonsense on here and a bit more time playing the game. It sounds like you have a tenuous grasp of what you can actually do within the confines of the current paradigm.

I'll also point out that didn't involve any re-logging or any other similar exploits. If you want a few pointers, I'll start you off with this. Set your map filter to high population systems in boom and investment states and before you decide where to jump, check the system map for your intended target and ensure that it's not a binary system with the secondary star 100k ls or more away from the first. That's how you drop into a system and find 8 HGEs within 7k ls of the spawn point...

Or you can just carry on calling me a liar, I can't say that I give a crap either way.

You and the usual subjects provide all the evidence yourself. Not much work for me to do really except to highlight the disinformation for those unfamiliar with the practice.

Do not feed...
;)

I've picked up a bundle of manufactured materials whilst doing passenger runs out of Cann Relay, I was grabbing 4-10 per trip, plus pax and S&R stuff, not great for credit earnings, but some nice materials collected with little effort - my focus was on passengers. Picking up materials while you play isn't all that hard - the issue is when people feel the need for everything right now..

You and the usual subjects provide all the evidence yourself. Not much work for me to do really except to highlight the disinformation for those unfamiliar with the practice.

What? How? You provide exactly zero verifiable evidence to support your claims. I collected a bunch of materials yesterday, many G4 and G5, whilst doing passenger runs at Cann Relay. Go ahead, tell me I'm a liar. I'll just suggest people check it out for themselves, the fact the station has materials floating around for collection is easily verifiable. Take a decent Collector Limpet controller..

Do not feed...
;)

Just this once. I like watching them gnashing their cute little teeth.

Just jumped back through one of the systems I was in at the weekend on my way to Achenar. Only five HGEs today, the most distant being 6,585 ls from the drop point. So I cleaned those out in 17 minutes.
KT22aOn.jpg

umJxsBA.jpg

ILzFWLR.jpg

LnldLLv.jpg

NN9tpXf.jpg

I make that 54 G5 materials and 9 G4 Proto Light Alloys thrown in for good measure. Or to put it another way, 9 of whichever G5 material a player might need at the moment after a trip to a trader, which is usually enough to do a full G5 mod.

For anybody who cares, the system was Cemiess, which serves as a pretty good template for the kind of system you should look at to do that regularly, at least when the states are favourable.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
The lazy amongst us rabidly attack anything that gives away lie of it being too hard to get specific materials.

Thing is I'm all for making it quicker and indeed for a better spread of available materials, although that's not the trivial task that some seem to think when they're tied to system states. There's no argument against improvement. As you say, it's this narrative that it's some Herculean task right now that I find irritating, not least because players who haven't done much engineering yet might believe it and decide not to bother with it.

Some burned out old-timer just saying they're sick of it is one thing, but when people are misrepresenting what it's actually like as of now and potentially discouraging players from getting involved in an aspect of the game that can be rewarding, not to mention greatly enhances their strength in combat (which is pretty important for newer players) it just comes across as massively selfish to me.

In short, it could be better as could most aspects of this game and come to that, most games I've played over the last 30 years. It's hardly terrible as it is though, certainly not compared to how it used to be when you couldn't just pinpoint all the HGEs from a nav beacon scan. Prior to that, I hardly used material traders myself because the amount of time it took to find HGEs and scoop up a handful of materials made the exchange rates completely non-viable for me. Now it's pretty easy to keep stocks up by just doing a bit here and a bit there. Those mats I scooped up tonight from a system I was flying through anyway mean that the next time I want to engineer some drives, I have my pharma isolators and the time I spent on it was trivial.

Last edited:
What is selfish is the usual suspects trying to shut down legitimate critiques of Frontier's mechanics. If I have contempt for those who participate in this, then so be it.

Top Bottom