100,000 CQC Kills

CMDR @Good Whiskey spending his weekend:

QuarterlyAdventurousGyrfalcon-max-1mb.gif
This. Only with far fewer clothes and much less sunshine.

OK fair enough, I guess the OP magicked all those kills. I guess all those people on the CQC Discord are in my imagination too. But then I suppose I am delusional...

Oh and by the way I don't have to stick up for the game at all, and if you'd read even some of my posts you would see that I'm quite open about my feelings :D
It's dead by popular, casual conception. I played Fractured Space, a MOBA type with space ships. Had consistently around 300-500 players at good hours. Suffered from increasing gap between noobs and experienced players. I stuck with it, from time to time the edgelords just had to accept that I was just an additional handicap for the elite and that winning with me was a great feat. It also helped watching them play. And sometime I'd even pull my weight - but the gap was real and made it difficult for new players to get into the game. It had tiered match-making so thedifferent skill levels were taken into account. But that fractures the player base.

They tried to raise appeal with a coop mode, but the meat was PvP, imo. Coop couldn't help, but what can you do when you're desperate to increase users and their retention.
I came back multiple times and witnessed reworks, new features but it just was a core base of few players - maybe cycling on and off just like me - which made for a somewhat stable match-making. With everyone basically soon knowing everyone else.

I had a personal nemesis I wouldn't find a bloody cure against. Insult was added when I couldn't even pull a fraction off what the guy did when I played the ship he used. Saw him frequently. I'd recognise players from the old forum. It was a homely familiar society.

Long story: They closed it down. It didn't pay the rents. The studio was sold. I think I can't even play it anymore. It was good, but it was just not enough people playing it. Having "some" play just isn't enough. The "some" can still have fun, yes - it isn't a healthy state though.

My god, why is this not a thing? You're only queuing if you're doing something that you can depart from for a match anyway.
I would guess some complexity in setting up the queuing from a standing start (as opposed to trying to join existing matches) in the modes that require more than 2 people to start (which was all of them, until relatively recently), and the possibility that people will still drop out - or be offered a queue place but have unexpectedly been interdicted so can't take it up - that means it actually takes a fair bit of work which is nowhere near the "ever gets done" region of the priority list.

You can be invited into CQC from the main game by someone forming a squad in CQC (another thing which works terribly in practice, for interface reasons) so that bit is there, but that doesn't guarantee you a match either, just gets you into the queue together.

Since Ed left they haven't done CQC night livestreams, which probably hasn't helped get time on the roadmap for it - I think he genuinely enjoyed it.

I just got along to make an hour CQC, went from rank 1 to rank 8, got a dozen kills. I guess it lives.

alive.jpg

Will continue a while. Matchmaking was pretty fast (3 minutes tops!)
I wish I too lived in this amazing Narnia that I am apparently excluded from while I wait for matches to start that are supposed to have 8 people but only have 3. Seriously, maybe you're on a better version of the internet than me, because on mine I can't actually get a TDM to start and the DMs are always at their lowest capacity.

I wish I too lived in this amazing Narnia that I am apparently excluded from while I wait for matches to start that are supposed to have 8 people but only have 3. Seriously, maybe you're on a better version of the internet than me, because on mine I can't actually get a TDM to start and the DMs are always at their lowest capacity.

Just pulling one totally out of my in-game currency here: are you from US or UK? (rest of the world is hic sunt dracones)
Could it be that instancing may also depend on your geographic region? Maybe the bulk or CQC players are UK/EU and you're the wrong side of the party? Or the opposite?

I should definitely give it a go again, I played only a couple times in the distant past and I really have no idea why I never did it again, I remember it being crazy fun. Back at the time, waiting times were pretty good and I always found people for a brawl. Deal, gonna fix that jerky yaw pot in my hotas and then CQC it is.

@Good Whiskey I'll let you know if I happen to have issues as yours with waiting times.

@MUSKETEER , just to be clear, I let you win this evening. I could have easily owned you but, you know, sooo boring.

🙂

(Seriously though, how the hell did I get matched with you 😅)

@Good Whiskey , long story short, clicked on Arena, waited for about 30-40 seconds for a DM, was put in a match with the fine chap above and another three or four. After a couple maps, the fine chap above was no more (to the relief of just about anyone remaining :ROFLMAO:) but I fought constantly in fully populated maps. Got out a minute because the hotas was acting up badly, discovered I unadvertedly switched it from PC to PS4 mode, fixed it and went into matchmaking again, and again had to wait less than a minute.

All in all a nice fun evening, went from rank 14 to 19 and duked it out with a rank 50 for several matches with a fair share of wins. Started Mostly Harmless 66%, ended Amateur 25%. 10/10, will get my arx graciously handed to me again.

Last edited:
Heheh, that reminds me, need to build a racing courier to replace my I-Eagle!
I really like the Courier... not being a fan in general of Imp ships... That one has 3 C2 G5 LW weapons, SB's and HRP... and ate a Python last night running interference for my wing mate doing a megaship mission :)

It was the boost speed that made me chuckle and think of your good self so had to screenshot it!
I really must get around to building a straight speed version, soon 👍

Yes it does, 100% both for the main game and CQC.
Though, that said, it's fairly relaxed about it.

I've played CQC matches where the players have been from all of Europe, Russia, North America, and the Pacific Ocean, and it's worked pretty well.

Likewise in the main game I've been - without having to use the wing matchmaking bonus - in an instance with people from Europe, North America, and at least one of Australia, India or Russia.

Though, that said, it's fairly relaxed about it.

I've played CQC matches where the players have been from all of Europe, Russia, North America, and the Pacific Ocean, and it's worked pretty well.

Likewise in the main game I've been - without having to use the wing matchmaking bonus - in an instance with people from Europe, North America, and at least one of Australia, India or Russia.

Yes true, although it most definitely prioritises. Out in the Middle East I was primarily matched with Cmdrs from the UAE & Asia. Here in the UK, the bulk of ppl I chat with are UK based. Was surprised at the amount of Cmdrs based in Dubai.

Top Bottom