No more patch updates before Fleet Carriers?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
While community goals might not have been top notch gameplay, it still was the only group content the game had.
Powerplay?

lob1.jpg

I personally never cared for the PvP in CGs (or any PvP whatsoever, most of the time it feels out of place and detrimental to the game's feel), but I do have great memories from CGs like Hutton Orbital, the construction of Obsidian Orbital, and a bunch of others. They were a nice way for starters to make some cash, and pretty much the only way to regularly see other people in the game.

Agreed, where you around when we built that line of stations going out to Sothis/Ceos? Was a huge amount of fun in both open and solo. Obsidian too, I lived out in the Pleiades when there was no stations (and the sky was red) still living out there to this day.

As time has gone along, those cg's kinda lost their soul, Ida feels much more natural, like the fuel rats.

And all were COMPLETELY OPTIONAL. Considering that thousands of players enjoyed these things every week, bringing them back for us is not what I would consider a "waste of developer resources". By the logic of some, 3/4 of the ships in this game should be removed because _ I _ don't like them.
There's a lot of optiobality in ED. But that is no excuse for repetitive gameplay. If you leave all the boring optional stuff out - that might be where the mile wide - inch deep comes from.

Prediction:

April 1st: patch notes for a bugfix update released, which include an enigmatic line:

New content added at Raxxla.

All requests for information about this new content (or the location of Raxxla) will then be ignored, until just before the end of Q2 (late June). Then we will get:

Carriers were added in April.

By this time, the devs will have had 3 months to play with them. And nobody else will have seen them around, due to instancing (you have to be in the owner's squadron to see them).

I expect changes in the future that will justify this move, similar to what the FSS did to the game. And it wasn't the module alone, it also came with a host of new content like the capability of detecting Bio-/ Geo sides or USS's without the need of flying aimlessly 300 KLs or more and I guess/hope that the removal of GalNet news and CGs was also just an opener for potentially new and interesting gameplay loops in the future.

I'm looking forward to all these new stuff and that hopefully no one will be ever looking back in grief, unlike with the ADS drama.
You make a good point :)

Weak design elements can serve as a placeholder for a while (and sometimes this 'while' is lasting way too long) but sooner or later has to be replaced with some more meaty content.

The FSS is not meaty content. Its a joke that made a load of people stop playing.

Iv seen two magpies torment a fox before. There was a bit of food or something, but everytime the fox moved towards it one magpie tryed to peck its tail, fox jumps round, other magpie trys to peck its tail. I dont think they even cared about the food, just enjoying tormenting the fox.

You make a good point :)

The ADS didn't need to be removed, the galnet & CGs/IIs require an ongoing maintenance overhead. Removing existing functionality without justification (the old discovery modules) is not the same.

The only commonality is FDev apparently 'listening to the community' in both cases.

The FSS is not meaty content. Its a joke that made a load of people stop playing.

Iv seen two magpies torment a fox before. There was a bit of food or something, but everytime the fox moved towards it one magpie tryed to peck its tail, fox jumps round, other magpie trys to peck its tail. I dont think they even cared about the food, just enjoying tormenting the fox.
The real torment is engineer gameplay. It's goalpoasting achieved progress and nickel and diming new progress at its worst.

The real torment is engineer gameplay. It's goalpoasting achieved progress and nickel and diming new progress at its worst.

But once you did the grind it was done. It was obnoxious but it was a clear hurdle. Engineers didnt hurt me at all cause i looked at them and thought "na" and went exploring. By the time i got back i had maxed out all my materials just as side efect of driving round on planets. When i did eventually engineer there were traders aswell so it was not really problem.

Im trying to find the right words. Elite dangerous, what a shame..

I wonder how FD feel about the FSS? Do they view it as a sucess or do they now wish they spent the time on ice planets instead?

Maybe somebody could do a round up in a livestream or something :)

And you can just not do it & PvP aside continue playing as you always did, the NPCs scale to your loadout.
No, they got bulletsponged throughout. Because we have the powercreep crap now. Vanilla guns just suck, enemies take longer to take down - they managed to get even the basic vanilla gameplay more grindy and less worth doing. Well, maybe they tweaked some combat payouts since - but back then you got the same for just having to do more busywork.

No, they got bulletsponged throughout. Because we have the powercreep crap now. Vanilla guns just suck, enemies take longer to take down - they managed to get even the basic vanilla gameplay more grindy and less worth doing. Well, maybe they tweaked some combat payouts since - but back then you got the same for just having to do more busywork.
NPC's can be killed more quickly with engineered weapons, they can still be killed without.

If you upgrade your stuff in a lot of cases you just face even more tanky NPCs, the threat usually scales to your load out.

Engineering is only unbalanced against other players.

I wonder how FD feel about the FSS? Do they view it as a sucess or do they now wish they spent the time on ice planets instead?

Maybe somebody could do a round up in a livestream or something :)

imo (and it is just my opinion I dont claim to speak for any "community") the exploration mechanic IS an improvement on before.
the issue as i see it is that we all got so used to how it was, and as such took for granted a certain pace of "revealing" space.

if for example the game had launched and we only had the bubble we could jump to, and from then on the only way to calculate a jump to a neighouring system was by fully scanning the system you were in which then allowed your ships computer to calculate a jump....................

then on returning that data to UC, the mission boards of the neighouring system would generate a mission on the mission board to drop off a nav beacon........ then (for arguments sake) 24hrs later - enough time for a bunch of people to take on the mission to take something for the construction of said nav beacon... that beacon came online and then anyone in that system could access the beacon to get the data for that system.

I think players would have accepted that just fine.

imo it is how the game was before which broke exploration.... how it is now is still not really what i would call functionally complete ideally because there is no real in game reason to scan the systems using the radio tuning game, other than for eye candy shots which we got before (with a button press) combined with the probe game which are just to locate interesting things to look at but dont offer anything gameplay related. .

i think had the game launched with the probe launching game but that was tied directly into the expansion of the hyperspace map as well as also tied into creation of expansion missions, i think most folk would have been on board with it because they would have been actively working on the expansion of the galaxy for everyone rather than just busy work for the sake of busy work, looking for beauty spots which a few months back were available with 1 button press. 🤷‍♂️ but thats just my opinion and you know what they say about those.

Last edited:
Try going on a long journey and point at a couple dozen balls balls after every single jump... You'll love engineers.
Is Beagle Point and back a long enough journey?
Every system FSS and DSS where I felt necessary... No problems with using either of the scanners over an extended expedition... They are the tools we have, work well enough, so I use them - and yes, I was playing well before the December 2018 update that brought the scanners/probes into the game - and choose to explore even more since that time.

ETA: I love engineers too :)

Last edited:
NPC's can be killed more quickly with engineered weapons, they can still be killed without.

If you upgrade your stuff in a lot of cases you just face even more tanky NPCs, the threat usually scales to your load out.

Engineering is only unbalanced against other players.
It's unbalanced in PvE as welk. I shouldnt have to bother with this crap to keep up with NPCs. The combat just became a slog.

imo (and it is just my opinion I dont claim to speak for any "community") the exploration mechanic IS an improvement on before.
the issue as i see it is that we all got so used to how it was, and as such took for granted a certain pace of "revealing" space.

if for example the game had launched and we only had the bubble we could jump to, and from then on the only way to calculate a jump to a neighouring system was by fully scanning the system you were in which then allowed your ships computer to calculate a jump....................

then on returning that data to UC, the mission boards of the neighouring system would generate a mission on the mission board to drop off a nav beacon........ then (for arguments sake) 24hrs later - enough time for a bunch of people to take on the mission to take something for the construction of said nav beacon... that beacon came online and then anyone in that system could access the beacon to get the data for that system.

I think players would have accepted that just fine.

imo it is how the game was before which broke exploration.... how it is now is still not really what i would call functionally complete ideally because there is no real in game reason to scan the systems using the radio tuning game, other than for eye candy shots which we got before (with a button press) combined with the probe game which are just to locate interesting things to look at but dont offer anything gameplay related. .

i think had the game launched with the probe launching game but that was tied directly into the expansion of the hyperspace map, i think most folk would have been on board with it because they would have been actively working on the expansion of the galaxy for everyone rather than just busy work for the sake of busy work, looking for beauty spots which a few months back were available with 1 button press. 🤷‍♂️ but thats just my opinion and you know what they say about those.

Exploration is no better, before it was too hard (to find stuff on planets), now it is too easy. It's just different. The old stuff could have remained & those that were already happy enough could have carried on as they did or mixed & matched as we still can in tagged systems.

Galnet requires ongoing resources to perpetuate (ie a continual stream of new content), the old exploration stuff didn't. Removing both isn't great, but the galnet (and CGs/IIs) at least has some justification.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom