The Cortes Base drag strip challenge: another standing SRV time trial from the Buckyball Racing Club

uG4b2sX.png

I'm going to leave my own personal best off the board for a while until things really get going but fair warning - as with the Pomeche Ridge challenge I will be unashamedly vying for those prized pole positions in due course.
Err yeah - that didn't last long did it - sorry!

So two new times on the scoreboard today.

First a delayed entry from Sgurr - driving Benedetti's Gauntlet down the strip in a time of 5 minutes and 3 seconds (soooo close to that 5 minute barrier), Sgurr takes 3rd place today with a really excellent first submission.

And then, having spent the morning tumbling around the fairly gruelling Elite Racers circuit chasing Shaye Blackwood's tail in an SRV I was in desperate need of letting off some steam. So yeah, 4 mins and 26 secs in the aptly named "Lack of Humility".

Speaking of gauntlet's ... here's one for all of you!

14597407890_c514d72d44_m.jpg

uG4b2sX.png

First a delayed entry from Sgurr - driving Benedetti's Gauntlet down the strip in a time of 5 minutes and 3 seconds (soooo close to that 5 minute barrier), Sgurr takes 3rd place today with a really excellent first submission.

And then, having spent the morning tumbling around the fairly gruelling Elite Racers circuit chasing Shaye Blackwood's tail in an SRV I was in desperate need of letting off some steam. So yeah, 4 mins and 26 secs in the aptly named "Lack of Humility".

🤯
Wow, crushed my time. I see I have to go a lot faster.
It's great being able to do this quick sprint race as a less intense option after spending 25 minutes or more fully focused on the Elite Racers track in an SRV. Markedly fewer corners to turn. 🤔

It's great being able to do this quick sprint race as a less intense option after spending 25 minutes or more fully focused on the Elite Racers track in an SRV.
This ^^^. Soooooo much this. It's the only reason I did the drag strip challenge this morning. After 25 minutes of wrestling the SRV around that Elite Racer course three times (a course far more suited to vehicles that can actually fly) I genuinely needed to just let rip in a straight line for a bit. And yes - I'm counting on you to save me the embarassment of being in the lead on my own race for too long! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
(a course fare more suited to vehicles that can actually fly)

I came to Cortes in my Asp Scout...

It needs to be done.
....................................................You do. You do. You can do.
Do it! It needs to be done!
....................................................You won't. It's silly, don't, they'll laugh.
Do it!
....................................................Do it! No! Laugh, they'll laugh.
You need, you have.
....................................................Do it!
No! It's silly. Don't!

....................................................Do it!

Quick scoreboard update ...

eF7HZWC.png

Cmdr Edelgard Von Rhein has made a night time attempt. Thankfully unable to see the drop-off on either side of the ridge, the "Armadillo" made the run out and back again in a time of 8 minutes and 25 seconds. Nice going Edelgard, great to see you back in action again!

uG4b2sX.png

Now THAT is a gauntlet, brilliant.

I will be trying again, and now I have demo vid on the technique.

It's scoreboard update time (delayed from yesterday after some adjudication issues).

YgUZz28.png

So first of all we had Cmdr Sulu piloting the Hollygolightly in "one direction" (actually, hopefully two!) to claim 7th place, just two seconds faster than Terrorsidic, with a time of 7 mins and 5 seconds. More from this racer in a second.

Then Aken B. was back in the Tumbling Initiative, shaving over 30 seconds off his previous best to claim 4th place with a superb 5 minute 27 second run.

Next, a new(ish)comer to Buckyball Racing (I think?), MrMike in an SRV with no name (or is that THE SRV With No Name?) - who manages to pip Sulu's time by just a single second to take 6th place in 7 minutes and 4 seconds. Bravo sir and welcome (back?) to Buckyball!

Following that, Sulu came back with a considerable improvement on his previous time. Alas the supporting evidence was inadmissable and, after consultation where Sulu assured me he'd be back again with an even better run, we've agreed to omit that run from the scoreboard.

And last, but definitely not least, Cmdr Shaye Blackwood returned to the strip, pushing the Cannonball into 2nd place with a truly formidable 4 minute 34 seconds run, just 8 seconds behind the number one spot!

It's fairly apparent that the top times are going to start getting really close! While I'm not going to attempt to record sub-second times on the scoreboard (so we'll probably have a lot of ties eventually), I'm actually going to encourage people to start submitting video evidence where possible since the exact moment when the SRV starts rolling, and the exact moment when you hear the sound of the SRV hitting the citty wall, could easily make a whole second of difference. Note also (tho' I haven't had to do it yet) that, where there's slight doubt about whether the finish shot is just before or after the moment of impact with the city - I may be forced to dock a second off the time.

Last edited:
While more of a "casual" Buckyballer, this isn't my first race (my first run was the Wiccan Ware Race last year... yes I actually looked back and checked 😂). Glad to be able to jump back into a new race.
Awesome (and yes, I should have realised - you have Racer role on the Discord) - well welcome back! :) 🏁

Also - Shaye and Terrorsidic - I have your race submissions, tried to do a scoreboard update before I left work but PC crashed so maybe scoreboard update at the weekdend.

Here we go!

SYUsZTu.png

So two new entries - the first from Elite Racers co-host Cmdr Terrorsidic who knocks 48 seconds off his time to jump 2 places up the scoreboard and land the Little Terror in 6th place with a time of 6 minutes and 19 seconds.

And then we have Cmdr Shaye Blackwood who seems determined to claim pole position on pretty much every screoboard in the galaxy. With a superb (and hard won) time of 4 minutes and 16 seconds, Shaye boosts the Icarus up into 1st place! Bravo sir!

Shaye also managed to convert a drag strip challenge attempt into our first clean base jump right over the city since the challenge launched. Beautiful stuff, especially noteworthy for judging the distance perfectly and landing between two of the arms on the opposite side of the city.

👌

Top Bottom