Open Gun-ports = open for pvp : Pilots federations rule of the duel

Tell me what would I care to countermove when I visit your chosen system while looking for a transport mission. I just pick what I like. Maybe I pick the mission with the prettiest face. Maybe the mission offered by a Fed faction. Or the one that pays most. You simple don't know what I'll do and I don't care what you're trying to achieve. Because neither of us cares about each other.
You don't have to care. Some do, some don't. But that doesn't change that your very actions are adversial. It doesn't matter if you care or not, they still are by how the BGS is designed.

If you are someone who really care about not affecting others, there are ways to still play this game without doing so, but it requires dedication: Certain systems don't have BGS enabled. Do all transactions and activities there or in uninhabited systems and you avoid affecting any other.

Advocating to power down after an interdiction without comms is just bonkers. You either high wake, or you charge with open gun ports. If people use comms before or while being interdicted, well, communicate. If people don't want to be bothered at all, pick CG or Solo.
Going on topic Pretty much. If I was to shoot people up I certainly am not out for additional redtape.

You don't have to care. Some do, some don't. But that doesn't change that your very actions are adversial. It doesn't matter if you care or not, they still are by how the BGS is designed.

If you are someone who really care about not affecting others, there are ways to still play this game without doing so, but it requires dedication: Certain systems don't have BGS enabled. Do all transactions and activities there or in uninhabited systems and you avoid affecting any other.
I don't mind my actions affecting others. Because I know it's minuscule and not noticeable when it's not concerted and organised.

Tell me what would I care to countermove when I visit your chosen system while looking for a transport mission. I just pick what I like. Maybe I pick the mission with the prettiest face. Maybe the mission offered by a Fed faction. Or the one that pays most. You simple don't know what I'll do and I don't care what you're trying to achieve. Because neither of us cares about each other.

In this hypothetical example:

Your action will not register until the next tick, so for that period of time you are invisible bar an entry on the ships / bounties list (if any)

If you are simply grazing, then you are just traffic- if your action is part of a trend to destabilise then I'd assess what needs doing, and undertake a response.

Passing rando traffic I don't care about. If it was someone else countering the faction I'm supporting, I will very much care.

In this hypothetical example:

Your action will not register until the next tick, so for that period of time you are invisible bar an entry on the ships / bounties list (if any)

If you are simply grazing, then you are just traffic- if your action is part of a trend to destabilise then I'd assess what needs doing, and undertake a response.

Passing rando traffic I don't care about. If it was someone else countering the faction I'm supporting, I will very much care.
But most of the galaxy-wide traffic is rando traffic. Yes, you can have good fun using the BGS for role-play conflicts. That's not the bread and butter activity of what the BGS does overall.

But most of the galaxy-wide traffic is rando traffic. Yes, you can have good fun using the BGS for role-play conflicts. That's not the bread and butter activity of what the BGS does overall.

It is in increasing amounts as space runs out. Like I explained earlier PMF space is finite, and as that space fills up you are going to have multiple overlaid issues- Powerplay pressure for correct govs, PMFs, agenda driven (such as mining spots, certain anarchies) activity and so on. For example, in and around Harma (Archon Delaine capital) you have 2 PMFs, plus three more in adjacent areas. Another one is Terra Mater in Utopian territory, where the Brotherhood fight Pranav. This is not RP, its a main driver for player activity in the game.

Upset? I do't think anyone is upset or would be upset, it is just not gonna work.
I can't speak for anyone else, but what happens in our home system, when a stranger is spotted, squad mates ask each other whether 'we' know 'this' guy or not. If he has an exploration ship and isn't seen before, he is normally left to whatever he is doing. If not, that he is being asked what his intentions are. This often ends in a friendly conversation where after each goes his own way. If no one communicates, people will get a (still) friendly warning what 'our' intentions are. After that its up to the concerning pilot to deal with that.

Advocating to power down after an interdiction without comms is just bonkers. You either high wake, or you charge with open gun ports. If people use comms before or while being interdicted, well, communicate. If people don't want to be bothered at all, pick CG or Solo.

Yeah the power-down was overkill, but it was there in case someone got childish and nagged that someone could be faking ;)

Just as Rubernuke said, Just keeping an eye out on the environment,
Boxes are pilots with gun ports stowed
Warning Triangles are pilots with gun ports active.

Just advocating that we should try and keep a tense cool, and remain square
(Just keeping the guns in with an encounter as a courtesy, and allow them to keep a distance if they want to).
so you can have a chat,

It is in increasing amounts as space runs out. Like I explained earlier PMF space is finite, and as that space fills up you are going to have multiple overlaid issues- Powerplay pressure for correct govs, PMFs, agenda driven (such as mining spots, certain anarchies) activity and so on. For example, in and around Harma (Archon Delaine capital) you have 2 PMFs, plus three more in adjacent areas. Another one is Terra Mater in Utopian territory, where the Brotherhood fight Pranav. This is not RP, its a main driver for player activity in the game.

Ahem.

apparently I'm learning things today :D

What is PMF?
and
What is RP?
😇

So spread this around if you agree, to make it an unofficial rule.

OPENED GUN-PORTS = Consent for combat

CLOSED GUN-PORTS = I don’t want to play your game.

To be more specific (as there are “grey zones”)
Close all gun ports.
Turn off silent running.
Come to a Full stop.
Power down engines.
Power down weapons.
Power down shields.
Power down FSD.

Just advocating that we should try and keep a tense cool, and remain square
(Just keeping the guns in with an encounter as a courtesy, and allow them to keep a distance if they want to).
so you can have a chat,

It seems your stance is shifting from making "unofficial rules" where players that don't stop their current activities and power down their ship can be blown out of space to something else.

Edit:
Your OP is describing a gankers dream in miners in Res Sites, traders defending themselves from NPC pirates, anybody collecting encoded mats, players driving SRVs collecting raw mats. Whether it was intentional or not you are describing an "okay to shoot on site" mentality unless a player strips themselves naked and lies prone in the dirt.

If you are advocating players to communicate before engaging in PvP combat why doesn't your OP suggest this as an unofficial rule? Instead of the full permission to kill anything on sight that doesn't have hardpoints retracted and shields powered down.

Last edited:
The number of pmfs did increase. What about the number of concurrent players? Is there more people playing now than 4 years ago? The simple popping up of PMFs doesn't tell much about activity. As does assuming they are all active. It's not like everybody is like the heroic Communists who'd adopt and push any red faction and diligently destroy the unwholesome occurence of Imperial influence down to the root.
And then you have solo players who may or may not do any BGS work and rather opt out of MP shenanigans. It's not like each of them cheeses the system to be untouchable 5th coloscopist.

It seems your stance is shifting from making "unofficial rules" where players that don't stop their current activities and power down their ship can be blown out of space to something else.

Edit:
Your OP is describing a gankers dream in miners in Res Sites, traders defending themselves from NPC pirates, anybody collecting encoded mats, players driving SRVs collecting raw mats. Whether it was intentional or not you are describing an "okay to shoot on site" mentality unless a player strips themselves naked and lies prone in the dirt.

If you are advocating players to communicate before engaging in PvP combat why doesn't your OP suggest this as an unofficial rule? Instead of the full permission to kill anything on sight that doesn't have hardpoints retracted and shields powered down.

I know right?
The basic idea was to keep your gunport closed, and don't bolt for it, as a matter for politeness, until you figured out what is going, a chat, fight, a gank? who knows?
It makes the gankers jape, much simpler and they are still fighting against it :D
but it also benefits the other benign commanders who respect other commanders "gameplay decision" because respect/quarter will be given (maybe)
Politeness is optional after all ;)

Win, win in my opinion.

Last edited:
So if we’re to really clarify your intent to submit

Kill your velocity and your power.
Close gun ports and come to a full stop, switch off your systems, and effectively kill your ship.

Not a win-win. If I just got interdicted by pirate NPC in my Imperial Cutter trading ship with 25million buy-back plus trading mission cargo it is completely ridiculous to expect me to power down my ship when another commander arrives on the scene (and continue being shot at by NPCs), and doing otherwise suggests I actively want to engage in PvP -> kill on sight.

If an unexpected commander appears near me I assume they want to PvP and I take necessary actions/precautions. If they say something in chat my behaviour might change. But without knowing the other cmdr's intent, ship build, and skills, than their combat rank (which can be misleading) I'm not about to just give up, power down, and forfeit my ship and cargo. Thats ridiculous. For all I know its some noob kid flying around in his dad's Anaconda.

If your "unofficial rule" was arriving commanders should say "hello need help?" or "Arrrrg! Die Die Die!" that might go further towards a friendly galaxy than just assuming I want to engage a stranger in PvP.

Last edited:
The number of pmfs did increase. What about the number of concurrent players? Is there more people playing now than 4 years ago? The simple popping up of PMFs doesn't tell much about activity. As does assuming they are all active. It's not like everybody is like the heroic Communists who'd adopt and push any red faction and diligently destroy the unwholesome occurence of Imperial influence down to the root.
And then you have solo players who may or may not do any BGS work and rather opt out of MP shenanigans. It's not like each of them cheeses the system to be untouchable 5th coloscopist.

Its not the numbers that are the issue, its the agendas they have and the ever shrinking space they co-exist in. A single player can wreck a small system easily, and prolonged conflicts can get messy. Its very hard these days to not see more agenda driven play- for example in my time in Utopia I helped flip every system to favourable- thats going through about 500 systems and making sure each one is right. That massive area has to be policed and all PMFs and rando traffic kept in check.

Top Bottom