VR - Oculus Question - Thinking of buying

As we have no idea when any new content will be released for ED, i'm thinking I might play for the VR experience... so....

Before you say it, yes I know Oculus are now like hens teeth, let's put that to one side for a moment - I know where I can get one.
Two Models Quest and Rift S
Rift S - Proven well reviewed
Quest - Can't play ED with it currently, also don't like the position of the link cable (when it becomes available). The cable is positioned in such a way that you would keep hitting it with your arms or yank the whole thing off your face! I think I could modify a cable holder though, that said, forgetting the cable.
Which provides the best detail, view and quality, I know we have experts here, your thoughts greatly received.

Nutter o7

As we have no idea when any new content will be released for ED, i'm thinking I might play for the VR experience... so....

Before you say it, yes I know Oculus are now like hens teeth, let's put that to one side for a moment - I know where I can get one.
Two Models Quest and Rift S
Rift S - Proven well reviewed
Quest - Can't play ED with it currently, also don't like the position of the link cable (when it becomes available). The cable is positioned in such a way that you would keep hitting it with your arms or yank the whole thing off your face! I think I could modify a cable holder though, that said, forgetting the cable.
Which provides the best detail, view and quality, I know we have experts here, your thoughts greatly received.

Nutter o7
I have both the Rift S and Quest and previously used the Rift CV1; you can use the Quest using any compatible USB cable, you don't have to wait for the official Link. There is also a wireless solution that you should be able to find details on in the VR sub-forum (along with peoples impressions with ED).

My quick view:
  • Quest has deep blacks and rich colours
  • Quest (and Rift CV1) suffers from "godrays"
  • Quest tracking is not as "tight" as the CV1 or Rift S, has the occasional stutter
  • Rift S has the best clarity
  • Rift S the most comfortable of the 3 headsets
  • Rift S has hardly any "godrays" but has a more washed-out look due to the LCD screen
My IPD is pretty much ideal for the Rift S which is only software adjustable, so that may be an issue for some.

The cable isn't an issue for ED, being a seated experience, and for other games you've already given yourself the solution in your post.

If I had to chose which headset to keep, it'd be the Rift S every time. Clarity is the most important thing for me.

For the quest, you don't need the official Link cable. Facebook / Oculus recommend the Anker cable whilst the Link is unavailable.

I used this one and it works perfectly, it's also only £9. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E9W8KYC

It's only 6 feet though, so I also got an extension cable. The USB extension cable needs to be an active one otherwise the Quest won't recognise it. I used this, it worked for me and a bunch of people in the Amazon reviews also used it for the Quest. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FQ88CE6

Many thanks both, as I'm weary of anything to break the immersion, my main criteria is the best experience.
Judging from @Arioch it would seem the Rift S is the way to go and thank you @Obsidian Ant for the cable options for the Drift.
I don't intend to be moving about too much so I think the Rift S will be my first leap into VR

Fly Safe and Stay well!

o7

Nutter

I've been tempted by the Quest, and was looking last night (until I discovered, as you mention, that they are currently very rare :) ).

I have CV1, Go, and Samsung Odyssey+. I'm interested in the Quest as it is OLED with 6dof (which is a major issue with the Go - only 3dof). I won't touch any VR headset that isn't OLED, which is why I cancelled my Rift S pre-order. When you compare OLED vs LCD for games like E: D (that have proper blacks in them), the difference is noticeable (and not in LCD's favour).

Does anyone know if there is anywhere in the UK, where you can test these headsets on Elite, before buying? I don't normally from suffer motion sickness and I play Elite fine on three monitors now, but I am concerned that if I shell out blind, and then do feel sick, I have wasted my money

Does anyone know if there is anywhere in the UK, where you can test these headsets on Elite, before buying? I don't normally from suffer motion sickness and I play Elite fine on three monitors now, but I am concerned that if I shell out blind, and then do feel sick, I have wasted my money

Where are you based? PC World in Reading used to have a VR room, though not sure if they still do (and if they do, I suspect it won't be available for a few weeks).

I have the Rift S and the Rift CV1.
I'd say the Rift S is superior in everything except sound. The sound is ok, but not even close to CV1.
Make sure your IPD is in range of the the Rift S specs, as it has no IPD adjustments.
The Rift S has no black smear thanks to LCD. This helps allot to prevent VR sickness.

Last edited:
You'll have to wait anyway, considering the current lockdown situation we're in.

I'd say the Rift S is superior in everything except sound. The sound is ok, but not even close to CV1
I understood that there is a 3.5mm headphone jack on the Rift S headset that would allow using better headphones. Those Koss ones seem recommended, can't remember the model name. I read somewhere that they use the same drivers as the CV1 built-in headphones.

ed. Third party Rift S to Koss driver adaptors are available I think. This allows the headphone drivers to be permanently clipped onto the Rift S headband.

The daft audio system on the Rift S is the one thing that puts me off buying at the moment.

(ps. v happy Oculus CV1 owner)

Last edited:

It's a good idea to test first, but generally Elite is fairly comfortable since you're seated in a cockpit and your mind perceives your body itself as being stationary. Of course, that will change with space-legs. The glaring exception at the moment is the SRV which is simply too bumpy and noisy for VR. I have pretty solid VR legs and have been playing Half Life Alyx with continuous movement for 8 hour stretches with little sickness, but even I feel rough after 40 minutes planetside in Elite.

I suffer badly from motion sickness, but before I purchased my Rift I read some advice and decided to go for it. The advice was that the moment you felt sick take the headset off, remember what you were doing and then try again a while later, but don't do what made you sick. Keep iterating that process and eventually your game time should increase, once it does start adding back the things you couldn't do. Basically you are relearning your brain. This worked for me, initially it was frustrating but after a couple of weeks I was fine.

I understood that there is a 3.5mm headphone jack on the Rift S headset that would allow using better headphones. Those Koss ones seem recommended, can't remember the model name. I read somewhere that they use the same drivers as the CV1 built-in headphones.

ed. Third party Rift S to Koss driver adaptors are available I think. This allows the headphone drivers to be permanently clipped onto the Rift S headband.

The daft audio system on the Rift S is the one thing that puts me off buying at the moment.

(ps. v happy Oculus CV1 owner)
the built in speakers for the RiftS really is trash, I disabled them and use Razer Nari headphones. Once you've "fixed" the RiftS speakers it really is a good VR headset.

Top Bottom