Not a good move Frontier - Fleet Carrier upkeep

At this point how do we know that FDev's comment about accepting players go on holiday doesn't mean that the system of mounting debts works similar to notoriety decay?

It could be that costs (and potential income) only accrue when we're logged in.

That has to be the case, surely? Or perhaps there's some kind of deactivation option if we're away for extended periods, since we'd probably want our FC accessible to other players during periods when we're playing regularly (kind of defeats the point if not). The moment that a game starts actively penalizing players for not logging on though is the moment that I uninstall... and I love Elite. I need to be able to take months off without fear of FD taking my hard earned assets.

What if you planned to load your fleet onto your carrier, jump it right across the galaxy and RP as some kind of deep-space hermit?
What if you're part of a group who planned to use their FCs to create stopovers one the way to Beagle Point?
Precisely my planned uses. I'd be astounded if FD haven't considered this - I thought that they were pretty clear that FCs would cater for all types of players.

Relevant comment from the article "Players will be able to trade while using the services, and carrier owners will be able to set tariffs on all goods traded on-board to support weekly upkeep costs. Those costs will include buying Tritium, a new fuel commodity that powers the ships. If owners consistently fall behind on their payments, the fleet carriers might, ultimately, be decommissioned and sold for parts."
Wow. Just wow. If this is how they implement it, I'm with you, there's no chance I'm getting a carrier. The rest of the game is still okay, and I might play again at some point, but having to be forced to play and do activities just to keep it, that's just not me. I fall behind on life tasks all the time as it is, I don't need one more to the list. My RL honey-do-list nowdays is long, very long, and playing games is just a stress relief to get away from the daily chores.

No, only super-rich players.
I think the FC is somewhat the exploiter award. Those who managed to make 100 mil cr/hr based on some glitch in the game that was later nerfed or fixed or for those who found the most effective money-making grind-mechanics and spent 24/7 for weeks, they're the ones who can get it. For the players who play it just for fun and doing different activities without grinding, there's not much chance of making that much, except if you've done if for years.

Frontiers expertise over the years has been with Management/simulation games eg Planet Zoo, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World evolution. It makes sense that they will borrow and adapt mechanics from those games to provide gameplay around fleet carriers.

Those games also incorporate systems of upkeep. You have to pay for staff and keep them happy. Power needs supplying to buildings. Animals need feeding.
In return if you build good parks you get more visitors and make more money. Build a bad park and you will go bust, or the dinosaurs will escape and eat the guests.
I see Fleet Carriers operating on similar lines. It will be possible to lose your carrier by not covering your costs. However if you are sensible and plan, then i think the carriers will pay for themselves and make money on top.

It will be interesting to see if you can generate income when away from the game. Makes absolute sense that if you can lose your ship by not playing for months and expenses not being paid, that you can also be able to earn money while away from keyboard.

I guess that would then create a whole new argument about away from keyboard multi billionaires.

I don't need to get a loan, also why on earth would you need a 'market' I intend to be as far away from humans as possible! And another thing... whats this >
" ...with the ability to jump whenever the owner wants, however, they will have a build up and cool down period between jumps. " Um? So you can't jump whenever you want then?
If we are nitpicking, you can't jump whenever you want the current ships either. There's a cooldown period, and a charging period.

Possibly, maybe not. At least people have something to work towards instead of another ship that just gives you the same gameplay you have been doing for the last whatever years.
Sure. I'm happy for those who can, but I just know I probably won't be one of them. Not enough time to play these days. A year ago things were easier, but as things are now, not a chance.

If we are nitpicking, you can't jump whenever you want the current ships either. There's a cooldown period, and a charging period.
Yes, thats 10 seconds, which i'm ok with. Currently we have no idea how long for Fleet Carriers, I'll eat my X52 flight stick if it's less than 60 seconds for a Fleet Carrier

Frontiers expertise over the years has been with Management/simulation games eg Planet Zoo, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World evolution. It makes sense that they will borrow and adapt mechanics from those games to provide gameplay around fleet carriers.

Those games also incorporate systems of upkeep. You have to pay for staff and keep them happy. Power needs supplying to buildings. Animals need feeding.
In return if you build good parks you get more visitors and make more money. Build a bad park and you will go bust, or the dinosaurs will escape and eat the guests.
I see Fleet Carriers operating on similar lines. It will be possible to lose your carrier by not covering your costs. However if you are sensible and plan, then i think the carriers will pay for themselves and make money on top.

It will be interesting to see if you can generate income when away from the game. Makes absolute sense that if you can lose your ship by not playing for months and expenses not being paid, that you can also be able to earn money while away from keyboard.

I guess that would then create a whole new argument about away from keyboard multi billionaires.

Exactly. I'm the first to call out Frontier on all the many crap decisions they've taken over the years, but this (and the "personal marketplace" idea) might be the best idea they've had in a long time. To require upkeep does not mean that every day you're forced to blow some cores or else next week your FC will be scrapped. We have no idea how expensive/frequent this upkeep will be.

Rather it (should) mean that you have to plan your own economic system to be self-sufficient, to be an actual actor on the stage of the galactic economy rather than the "buy here sell there" bot you are now.

If done properly, it should be an incentive to planned, long-term gameplay (resource-management gameplay, but it's still gameplay) rather than a source of extra grind. It's something that the game sorely misses. The game should have more, not less ways for us to spend our credits (think about the complete irrelevance of the refuelling/rearming costs. Those are dead, completely superflous gameplay mechanics) and therefore for us to organize complex strategies in order to make our gamestyle economically sustainable.

You wanted a "space simulation". Me too. Hoarding mining credits that end up only useful for "extra lives/rebuys" is the definition of "arcadey".

Apart from ED, it seems every other game FD makes is a management game of some sort. Not overly surprising to me they're now shoehorning management mechanics into their space-ship flying game.

At least they're optional - which is good because I came here to fly spaceships not sort out finances and maintenance.

Apart from ED, it seems every other game FD makes is a management game of some sort. Not overly surprising to me they're now shoehorning management mechanics into their space-ship flying game.

At least they're optional - which is good because I came here to fly spaceships not sort out finances and maintenance.

The difference between Planet Coaster and Elite Dangerous is that ED is an online game with a persistent galaxy. When a player logs out the world keeps running. In Planet Coaster when you save the game the simulation stops, you can't lose your park while on vacation or visiting relatives in another part of the world. With ED if the clock keeps ticking on your carrier's upkeep while you are logged off then it sounds like you could lose it all.

If Elite was an offline game then sure the comparison would be apt. Elite is not an offline game however.

The difference between Planet Coaster and Elite Dangerous is that ED is an online game with a persistent galaxy. When a player logs out the world keeps running. In Planet Coaster when you save the game the simulation stops, you can't lose your park while on vacation or visiting relatives in another part of the world. With ED if the clock keeps ticking on your carrier's upkeep while you are logged off then it sounds like you could lose it all.

If Elite was an offline game then sure the comparison would be apt. Elite is not an offline game however.
I dont see what online has to do with upkeep on player owned assets.

Top Bottom