Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The A* Challenge V2.0

To be honest, that's a very good reason, they're horrible to fly...

Yeah, CMDR Hanekura Shizuka and I had a long discussion during one of my Challenge runs about the flight characteristics of various ships in the Challenge, and if I'd had any doubts about not wanting an Anaconda before that, I didn't have any after. I have no time for ships that aren't fun to fly.

Of course, whenever I say that, I always feel like someone is going to question why I've spent so much time racing Haulers, but once a Hauler is stripped down to bare bones, it's surprisingly nimble even with D-rated thrusters.

That said, the MOST fun to fly ship for Challenge style racing is one that I plotted a route for but never actually got around to running (and the route I plotted is no good anymore for various reasons), that being the Fer-de-Lance. When you strip an FdL down to bare bones and put a tiny power plant in it, it's darn near impossible to overheat, and combined with its fast scooping (Class 5 scoop, Class 4 FSD) and its excellent SC maneuverability, it's pretty much Easy Mode (except for needing hours and hours to get there, of course).

Last edited:
Congrats to Razor for beating my long standing time for Console runs. I take solace in the fact I still hold the Vanilla Console Record (although the more variables are added to a title, the less impressive it is of course). But regardless, it's nice to finally see another Console CMDR take up the gauntlet I threw down almost 4 years ago.

I have recently gotten back into playing the game and am using Fuel-Ratting as a motivator for the time being, but now (thanks to bumping into Razor on the Fuel Rat IRC) I have a goal to reach. Well, two goals.

First, as previously mentioned, that Beluga time needs fixed. So I will use that as a mid-term goal as I do miss my 'Luga (Yeah I'm a weirdo, but this group is full of nutjobs so sue me :p )

Secondly, as a long-term goal, I wish to reclaim my title as fastest console CMDR. So be on the lookout, as this real life Lockdown is going to provide ample time to perfect and execute a blistering run in a fully decked out Buckyball Vessel.

Congrats to Razor for beating my long standing time for Console runs. I take solace in the fact I still hold the Vanilla Console Record (although the more variables are added to a title, the less impressive it is of course). But regardless, it's nice to finally see another Console CMDR take up the gauntlet I threw down almost 4 years ago.

I have recently gotten back into playing the game and am using Fuel-Ratting as a motivator for the time being, but now (thanks to bumping into Razor on the Fuel Rat IRC) I have a goal to reach. Well, two goals.

First, as previously mentioned, that Beluga time needs fixed. So I will use that as a mid-term goal as I do miss my 'Luga (Yeah I'm a weirdo, but this group is full of nutjobs so sue me :p )

Secondly, as a long-term goal, I wish to reclaim my title as fastest console CMDR. So be on the lookout, as this real life Lockdown is going to provide ample time to perfect and execute a blistering run in a fully decked out Buckyball Vessel.

Good to see you getting back in the action. Fly fast, CMDR!

CMDR: Goosefraba
Ship Type: Anaconda
Ship Name: Phoenix
Class: Unlimited

Time: 1:38:41

20200408200000_1.jpg
20200408213841_1.jpg

Hi there, I was so intrigued by this challenge that I have to take a run at it ... although I'm not going for that record on my first run !
Cmdr : iceangel
Ship Type : Cobra Mk3
Ship Name : Warp Factor Potato
Class : Unlimited (FSD booster, G5 FSD, will use neutrons)
And there she is on the pad.
Warp_Factor_Potato.jpg

And I'm there ! (Well, 2 jumps later I'm at Explorer's Anchorage)
Cmdr : iceangel
Ship : Cobra Mk3
Ship name : Warp Factor Potato
Class : Unlimited

Departure :
Potato Galileo Departure.jpg
Arrival :
Potato Sagi Astar Arrival.jpg
Almost under 6 hours ! Actual time outside of the spoiler things : 6 hours 7 minutes 25 seconds and the little Cobra has more than paid for itself with all the honks that happened on the way.

Looking at the top Buckyball winners of all time, I almost feel like Anaconda needs it's own division. =D They're the heavyweights of Buckyball!

Top Bottom