🦙 Planet Zoo: South America Pack coming 7 April, 2020! 🦙

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Well the times were a bit different then. You had to wait for a long time for an expansion. Current gaming encourages the developers to release new content every few months so players keep engage with the game. Not saying I did not enjoy the big expansions, but you see this pattern with almost every game nowdays.
That's true! I must admit, I do not mind waiting tho.

Its both a benefit and a con nowaydays. At the one hand you get a lot of patches and quick DLC. On the other hand, the really awesome expansion packs seem to be missing. With is also with other great games like e.g. Cities.

I wish companies tried an combination. I think/hope their is also a market for big expansions.

Well the times were a bit different then. You had to wait for a long time for an expansion. Current gaming encourages the developers to release new content every few months so players keep engage with the game. Not saying I did not enjoy the big expansions, but you see this pattern with almost every game nowdays.
Zoo Tycoon 2's first DLC came out 11 months after release, which is indeed a long time, but it also featured 20 animals.
6 months later ( iirc ) the second DLC came out, which also had 20 animals.
I know times have changed, but it was still a lot

But those packs had a lot of content in them
For almost 3x the price - they better had to be.

And ZT2 released on November 9, 2004 - their first expansion pack was on October 18, 2005

You want to wait a year for 20-30 animals?
Edit; haha, you already posted it :D

For almost 3x the price - they better had to be.

And ZT2 released on November 9, 2004 - their first expansion pack was on October 18, 2005

You want to wait a year for 20-30 animals?
That's also kinda unfair. ZT2 expansions brought more than just animals. They also included new game mechanics, new scenario's, new scenary etcetera. Basically it was just a small base game variant.

So I would not mind waiting a year for a marine expansion for Planet zoo or Bird expansion.

That's also kinda unfair. ZT2 expansions brought more than just animals. They also included new game mechanics, new scenario's, new scenary etcetera. Basically it was just a small base game variant.

So I would not mind waiting a year for a marine expansion for Planet zoo or Bird expansion.

I know.

We also are getting some new or updated features/stuff in a free DLC.

ZT2 added some cool new features only behind paid DLC, coat variations, herding, AI improvements etc..

I know some people are disappointed but the expansion packs for ZT/ZT2 were a lot more expensive, and most extra features were in paid DLC.
And when people claim only 5,- more, while the actual price was almost 3x higher. Yes, almost 3x the price means they need to add more content.

I'm not even talking about very large expansions, like Marine/Bird etc.

The animal selection is a bit more exciting than the last pack but I’m feeling 50/50 about it.

New gameplay mechanics and scenarios would elevate this pack and the game overall. Is Planet Zoo a design tool or a videogame?

Feels strange to have so much focus on the facade you build around your habitat, with all these scenery pieces, than how you run your zoo and how you experience fun when playing this game. I know people love spending hours building...stuff. But that’s not the most important element of managing a zoo, in my opinion.

My list of most important features is as follows:

1, New gameplay mechanics
2, The number of animals added
3, New scenarios
4, Variety of the animals added
5, Items/ scenery

Oh boy... Everytime a DLC pops up, there's bond to be annoying squabbles. Can we please stop the arguing? It (honestly) drives me nuts.

Have you ever thought about the fact that DLCs are OPTIONAL? You don't HAVE TO buy it? But it seems some of the guys here are forcing themselves to think that they are forced to buy the DLC. Some unpleasant viewpoints. I get the hunch that they are pretty unappreciative.

I hate to be rude, and I don't wanna start an argument, but...

If you think that Frontier's content is...lacking and their staff incompetent, why don't you apply yourself to Frontier? I'm sure they'll be happy to have more competent and skilled staff. After all, the more the merrier, eh? Many zookeepers can clean the elephant exhibit, right?

Anyway, I like the content, even though I won't be able to buy it anytime soon. Keep up the good work, and stay healthy.

(Note: Don't even think to call me a fanboy. I don't have the game due to financial reasons. Can't a man who loves something have some common sense too?)

Are the technological possibilities in the time of ZT2 the same as the technological possibilities of the present? what are you discussing? DLCs of ZT2 was very good in every way.
The huge Frontier team of 422 people can only add 4 animals to this game in 3 months? these cannot be regarded as excuses. I'm just laughing. :D
again say, the number of animal in these DLC packs is unacceptable. This is a zoo game.

Last edited:
I know.

We also are getting some new or updated features/stuff in a free DLC.

ZT2 added some cool new features only behind paid DLC, coat variations, herding, AI improvements etc..

I know some people are disappointed but the expansion packs for ZT/ZT2 were a lot more expensive, and most extra features were in paid DLC.
And when people claim only 5,- more, while the actual price was almost 3x higher. Yes, almost 3x the price means they need to add more content.

I'm not even talking about very large expansions, like Marine/Bird etc.
Yes that's true. That is one of the benefits nowadays. Games get regular patches. Al though I feel like Planet zoo has released a lot of 'fix' patches. While Planet zoo had more 'free' 'new' content patches. I do appreciatie Frontiers patch policy.

Its true zoo tycoon 2 expansions where more expansions. That's why African Adventure was a bit of a let down for a lot of players in that time period. But mostly the price being 3x times higher was worth it. And I wouldn't mind paying it for likewise Planet Zoo expansions :) (But I think you have the same haha)

I agree with most comments about the animals. This is a zoo game, and the core of a zoo are the animals, so I think that next updates should focus more on animals, and less on pieces or scenarios.

I think that the free updates should contain some free animals too, some that would require less effort to implement. Just to give two examples of base game animals that could easily add new South America animals: For example, Chilean, James or Andean flamingos from the greater flamingo and Brazilian or mountain tapirs from the Baird's tapir.

Thank you Frontier for this amazing DLC ❤
The anteater and jaguar are just more than amazing.
I would also like to thank you for keeping the game alive especially during this crazy hard times.
You are the best!!!

I just really hoped for Manned Wolf but I hope it will be out with the other endangered mammals in the future.

Last edited:
Oh boy... Everytime a DLC pops up, there's bond to be annoying squabbles. Can we please stop the arguing? It (honestly) drives me nuts.

Have you ever thought about the fact that DLCs are OPTIONAL? You don't HAVE TO buy it? But it seems some of the guys here are forcing themselves to think that they are forced to buy the DLC. Some unpleasant viewpoints. I get the hunch that they are pretty unappreciative.

I hate to be rude, and I don't wanna start an argument, but...

If you think that Frontier's content is...lacking and their staff incompetent, why don't you apply yourself to Frontier? I'm sure they'll be happy to have more competent and skilled staff. After all, the more the merrier, eh? Many zookeepers can clean the elephant exhibit, right?

Anyway, I like the content, even though I won't be able to buy it anytime soon. Keep up the good work, and stay healthy.

(Note: Don't even think to call me a fanboy. I don't have the game due to financial reasons. Can't a man who loves something have some common sense too?)
I've read every post here and each of them were written in a respectful way. In fact, many of the people who criticize this new DLC made clear that they're happy with some aspects of it and they'd gladly buy other DLCs if some adjustments are made. Don't need to get this triggered imo.

I think it's normal that people are worried we'll only get 4 South American animals (6 with the base game) in such a fantastic game with so much potential. We just want the best for the game and its customers, and I think every customer would agree that the more animals the better.

Its true zoo tycoon 2 expansions where more expansions. That's why African Adventure was a bit of a let down for a lot of players in that time period. But mostly the price being 3x times higher was worth it. And I wouldn't mind paying it for likewise Planet Zoo expansions :) (But I think you have the same haha)

I fully agree with you.. For big expansions - i'd pay for it :D But the content/price of this DLC is decent.
Going with ZT/ZT2 logic, they would've added the content from the free DLC to the paid DLC.

I didn't think all those "smaller" packs were worth the money.. If you bought the ultimate collection, you paid a very good price.
But just putting basic improvements behind paid DLC, wrong then and would be wrong now (imo). I appreciate the Frontier's approach a lot better.

Last edited:
Hayo Zookeepers!

Now that the air is getting warmer and the nights are getting longer, we're feeling... tropical. It's time that we travel down to South America and meet some of its beautiful wildlife and lush fauna! What does the continent have in store for us?

We're so happy to announce the Planet Zoo: South America Pack, coming alongside free Update 1.2 on 7 April, 2020!

We're putting on a party and you're invited to join us! We're celebrating five new, glorious animals to welcome to our zoos: the wonderful Red-eyed Tree Frog, the mischievous Capuchin Monkey, the unique Giant Anteater, the friendly Llama, and the beautiful Jaguar! These five animals present their own list of challenges when you bring them into your zoos, as they have their own specific needs you'll need to cater for to keep them happy and well looked after in your parks.

In addition to the animals, there are over 250 new scenery and building pieces that will be sure to inspire you and help you create the zoo of your dreams. Create the city of a lost civilisation, or an overgrown jungle adventure that will have your guests gasping in wonder and your animals feeling right at home.

Planet Zoo: South America Pack will be available to purchase for £7.99 ($10.99, €10.99) on Steam and the Frontier Store from 7 April. In the meantime, wishlist now on Steam and you'll be notified as soon as it's available. Not long to go now before your next adventure begins!

This pack looks amazing! Great job Frontier. Can't wait for April 7th.

The pack looks great and the price point is absolutely fine with me. With the Giant Ant Eater, the Lama and the Jaguar three iconic animals are included and that is awesome!

But to be honest, I also agree with this:

I don't know what to think... I'm glad these animals are coming into the game but only 5... I think we are laughing a bit about us. It's really sad to have a general South American pack because there are so many different countries and biotopes... It's very rich. And still no birds.
In South America we find :
  • Argentina : Penguin, Armadillo, Rhea, Guanaco, Patagonian sea lion, Maned wolf, Andean condor...
  • Peru : Sloth, Squirrel monkey, Macaw, Pelican, Spectacled bear, Howler monkey, Puma...
  • Costa Rica : Coati, Toucan, Ocelot...
  • Brasil : Giant otter, Capybara, Jabiru, Marmoset, Caiman...

It's a very small part of what's possible so I'm disappointed. If we only do by continent all that remains is Australia and Europe and finish ?

If ths pack means we are done with south america I worry that we won't have much animals at the end of the game support. While I hope there will be 10 years of support, I assume it will"only" be three years of dlc at most, looking at Planet Coaster. That's frustrating. The focus on regions / continents gives the feeling of a lower life span. Like "okay, south america, 5 animals, done, next. Australia, 5 animals, done. next."

I'd really like to pay a higher price but have more animals and variety. And yes, even some "clone" animals. I miss Malayan Tapirs ;)

This pack looks so good! I can't wait to build a proper South American section.

...And those new decorative pieces are fantastic looking. I never thought I'd be so excited to see giant butterflies!

The pack looks great and the price point is absolutely fine with me. With the Giant Ant Eater, the Lama and the Jaguar three iconic animals are included and that is awesome!

But to be honest, I also agree with this:

If ths pack means we are done with south america I worry that we won't have much animals at the end of the game support. While I hope there will be 10 years of support, I assume it will"only" be three years of dlc at most, looking at Planet Coaster. That's frustrating. The focus on regions / continents gives the feeling of a lower life span. Like "okay, south america, 5 animals, done, next. Australia, 5 animals, done. next."

I'd really like to pay a higher price but have more animals and variety. And yes, even some "clone" animals. I miss Malayan Tapirs ;)

Like you, I'm really hoping that we get some additional packs to add more variety. There's quite a bit missing, but they've hit most of the iconic ones I think... Excepting the capybara and macaws. I'd love the ocelot, coati, and a few more species of monkey.

I agree with you too, in that I really hope the game gets quite a bit of support as time goes on--and hopefully more than Planet Coaster. Personally, I would be willing to pay quite a bit for additional animals in a pack (and some stand-clones to help "fill-in the gaps" between these bigger updates would be cool too).

I'm pretty excited about this next update -- and looking forward to this DLC, so I'm not complaining. Just hoping for more as time goes on!

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom