ANNOUNCEMENT Fleet Carriers - Content Reveal Recap

Although only 16 commanders can jump with the carrier, all your squadron's commanders can store all of their ships on it.
From my impression of the reveal video, these dont have large amounts of ship and module storage like normal ports. each ship stored takes up its tonnage in cargo space, same for modules. They even tried to play this off as something you could use to provide a "stocked" shipyard and outfitter But one decent ship package and some modules and you ate up 2/3rds of your cargo being "Spacemart"

I could fill this thing about a quarter of the way up just with my junk.

A fair point however, if I may counter, beyond getting your name on a system and getting the "first discovered" bonus no other Commander is going to get to visit unless they also have a FC. Which brings me back to one of my original points which was, what are you going to do when you get there beyond explore some more and maybe do some tedious mining? Why bring a bunch of trading, combat and passenger ships (ie, your "fleet") if there's nothing you can use them for when you get there.

Like I say, your point is fair but something I realised about FC's is that they're going to be good (if a bit slow and resource hungry) for travelling an extra couple of hundred light years but what's the point of bring a fleet of ships when you can't make use of them. This is largely the reason why I've gone off the idea of a supply and repair point in the middle of nowhere, reachable of course and probably useful for passing explorers if they even knew it was there, but then what do I do? More exploring? I can do that already without having to drop billions of credits.
I agree that using it in such a way kind of defeats the point of a Fleet Carrier, if you take its name literally. Then again, I hardly see the point of carrying a fleet around other than maybe moving to Colonia with a bunch of ships and modules which are unavailable there. Maybe if Cutters/Vettes and so on can be stocked in the Shipyard someone may decide to go sell them there.

I agree that using it in such a way kind of defeats the point of a Fleet Carrier, if you take its name literally. Then again, I hardly see the point of carrying a fleet around other than maybe moving to Colonia with a bunch of ships and modules which are unavailable there. Maybe if Cutters/Vettes and so on can be stocked in the Shipyard someone may decide to go sell them there.
Why do u need separated modules at all ? Just make 2nd ship ...you can allow that compairing to FC. 1 ship for thargoids, 1 ship for passengers etc. Maybe u will have 5-10 guns to swap there, ok ... for 10 guns no need on FC again.

No doubt, but that doesn't negate the fact that there were a lot of missed opportunities (and this is also not to insinuate that didn't try hard or didn't make hard decisions). They had an idea internally for fleet carriers, and changed that idea. Was supposed to be something for squadrons, to pool their money, to use it as a faction asset, etc. I'm assuming solo players whined, ruining it for everyone else. And now the implementation isn't even logical or financially feasible for exploration solo players. It's kind of funny, but not.

They could make five very simple changes that would make FC ten times better:
  1. Ability for squadrons to pool money to buy one and set FC permissions via squadron ranks
  2. Exploration Data can be manually stored on the FC
  3. Maintenance fee base price is dropped from 10 million to 1 million
  4. 1 unit of Tritium = 2 Light Years
  5. Countdown / Cooldown periods reduced to 30 mins, and via overcharged FSD to 15 mins where 1 unit of Tritium = 1 Light Year
Right now, I'm not going to purchase a FC. It's a waste of money. And I'm literally the kind of hardcore player with extra money that this update is aimed towards. I hope they make some adjustments to its current implementation.

I have 21bn on XB main account and working on the alt account at the moment - plenty of time till June.
So yea, there is a good chance that i will get a FC on both of my accounts.

Expecting absolutely nothing more than a megaship, the stream gave me waaaay more than that and this pleases me and it probably pleases many others.
Also i think is really far fetched to talk about a lot of missed opportunities

I see absolutely no problems with the FC except maybe the lack of UC.
But i can live with that.

Very few. Most players dont have 5 billion credits they want to part with even fewer are going to park it in Borann. Its a carrier not some sort of super miner.

In February, 3% of the registered Inara accounts had more than 5bn - that is about 4000 cmdrs.
But for sure there are a lot more, because Inara had 125000 accounts, while ED sold 1.5 millions copies of Horizons.
If we keep the percentages - 3% out of 1.5 millions is about 48000 commanders.

Due to the reveal, there are about 20000 ships every day in Borann... (*)
In June, there could be 20000 carriers there...

(*) based on Inara data

That's a heck of a big credit dump just to go that extra distance. And what if you can't get back? Small points I know and on the whole, none of us know just yet.
Plain and simple, #FuelRats will come with their carrier and cargo ships to transfer enough Tritium to your FC to jump back. If they won't, then I will :)
I would prefer that FDev stop saying what great opportunities this will open up for Explorers because it really doesn't look like they have a purpose in that regard.
here I have to strongly agree, they did not make it impossible but it is truly not a "great opportunity" in peaceful life of explorers... it is going to be a lot of work to keep it out there in Black :(

All combat activity( if this list isnt complete you can help by expanding it) :
1)Bounty hunters need pirates to hunt and stations to repair/refuel/rearm/turn in bounty
2)Assasins needs stations to take and turn in missions and to repair/refuel/rearm/turn in bounty
3)PvP need some place where people actually gather to have some action and stations to repair/refuel/rearm/turn in bounty
4)Xeno-hunters need thargoids and station to repair/refuel/rearm/turn in bounty
5)CZ participants need active CZ and station to repair/refuel/rearm/turn in combat bonds
All trading activity:
1) Loop trading/one way trading/rare trading/smuggling/etc needs two station - one where u can buy low and one where u can sell high.
2)Mining need a good ring with juicy hotspots and station with good prices no further than 150 l.y.
All explorers activity take place somewhere in the dark far from the bubble rim.

OK.
Now explain me this: Why someone in sane mind would bother to use FC services? Any of FC services?
Players can(and would) take repairs/refuels/rearms from station where is no stupid taxes.
Players would buy goods with lowest price (which is from station markets) and sell them with highest prices (which is again to station markets). Why is that? Becouse where FC Owner could buy goods? Ah right... from stations. And where he would sell them? To stations. With BULK TRADE PENALTY. So he should put his prices in between purchase price and desirible selling price. Even if that sort of trading will happen it would has crippled profit to every participant. Bravo, you just loose some time and credits.
Explorers have almost zero interest in this too, to spent 5kkk credits and wait 10 000 years on cooldowns and refuels till FC arrive in some system where no one has access before becouse it was too far to jump. Great plan again.
Miners are the only and unique caste of people who can not only afford to buy FC, but also can sustain all it functions with all that stupid upkeep AND make some use of it.
They could accumulate up to 25k tonns of precious ore, wait till somewhere appears good price on it, then jump there and sell everything and then bathe in credits and laught like insane.

Biggest problem is - Game does not have any activity that take place somewhere far from bubble and requires stations to be near by.
Add some activity FAR from bubble with UNIQUE stuff inside. New mining ore, signal sources, planet surface sites. Too far to be rentable fly in ship back in forth with cargo inside. FC would have MEANING then. They would (Oh my god) CARRY FLEETS may be? To the place where is no stations near. Where players would be willing to sell they cargo to FC, and FC owners would carry it back to bubble where others could resell it. Is this so hard or what? Ah right... almost forget it... People would have some fun. No fun allowed. Obey Grind. GJ FD.

P.S.
Q. Why are Fleet Carriers such a large investment?
Becouse we cant think another way to create a credit sink for miners.

Last edited:
Due to the reveal, there are about 20000 ships every day in Borann... (*)
In June, there could be 20000 carriers there...

(*) based on Inara data

Inara Ships, are ships that enter a system. If i enter and exit a system 4 times, it will considered 4 ships.
So there are no 20'000 ships, probably 2-3K are the real numbers.

Yes, I am aware of all that and I specifically said that I didn't want to talk about the implementation of FC but... people's expectations are unrealistic if they thought they were going to get more than we have. Keep in mind that 2 years ago, it was said the bulk of the team are moving on to the new era and therefore a reduced team would be delivering the rest of the Beyond conent; and that includes Fleet Carriers. As it stands, the only threat I can see is an owner walking away from the game.

Frontier may change that for the new era, but that won't be known for a few months yet.

I agree completely. This was supposed to be a minor update- if you also take into account its two patches rolled into one as well, you can see its size as a feature.

Inara Ships, are ships that enter a system. If i enter and exit a system 4 times, it will considered 4 ships.
So there are no 20'000 ships, probably 2-3K are the real numbers.
Read again. He said 20000 will be able to buy FC 1st day based on Inara data. And then all those will go Borann.

They could accumulate up to 25k tonns of precious ore, wait till somewhere appears good price on it, then jump there and sell everything and then bathe in credits and laught like insane.

It doesn't work, you have to take your transport ship, load from FC, go to the station and them seel the ore. You can do 2-3 times, but after the price will drop and you have to change system ... Very cool eh ?

I don't mine more of 128t of cargo, i feel very boring after some time ^^

Try considering only moving 2K ly outside the bubble (Guardian for example), then good luck with grinding the fuel to return in human time.

Doesn't it totally depend on the abundance of tritium?

LTD's might be relatively rare but while tritium (hydrogen-3) is rare on Earth that's probably because of the geomagnetic field. Tritium can be produced in a number of ways but a fast neutron (solar radiation) interacting with nitrogen can produce it and nitrogen is common, being only atomic number 7.

In other words it won't be much of a grind if there's tritium literally everywhere.

It doesn't work, you have to take your transport ship, load from FC, go to the station and them seel the ore. You can do 2-3 times, but after the price will drop and you have to change system ... Very cool eh ?

I don't mine more of 128t of cargo, i feel very boring after some time ^^
Same, I use MK-2 with 128T, never did yet more then 3 runs ...3runs it was prior video anounce showed and Borann got spiked chat :D
Any way, already quit to Void. Nothing for me till next New Year it seems.

Top Bottom