ANNOUNCEMENT Fleet Carriers - Content Reveal Recap

He didn't take count of ships on Inara, he counted people who has more then 5b. You quated "If i enter and exit a system 4 times, it will considered 4 ships." - that is 2 different numbers.

But i have quoted him saying that there was 20'000 ships in Borann based on Inara, so i corrected him in this part, where ships on inara are not unique !

From my impression of the reveal video, these dont have large amounts of ship and module storage like normal ports. each ship stored takes up its tonnage in cargo space, same for modules. They even tried to play this off as something you could use to provide a "stocked" shipyard and outfitter But one decent ship package and some modules and you ate up 2/3rds of your cargo being "Spacemart"

I could fill this thing about a quarter of the way up just with my junk.
Shipyard
  • Allows visiting Commanders to purchase, sell, and store ships at the Fleet Carrier.
This is not the same as storage for ships to sell.
Q. How many landing pads are there, and will it be possible to store ships on Fleet Carriers?
A. Fleet Carriers have 16 landing pads for the owner and fellow commanders to use. If the Fleet Carrier has the Shipyard Service, commanders will also be able to store their ships onboard (these ships do not use up any additional capacity, the Shipyard handles this for you). The landing and storage of ships acts in the same way as regular starports.
This tells us that we can all store our ships on a carrier. All of them.

Q. How might an explorer fund their Fleet Carrier's upkeep costs?
A. Whilst Elite Dangerous' top traders might want to turn their Fleet Carrier into a trading post that turns a profit, we expect most Fleet Carriers to be fitted in ways that help players do what they enjoy in the game. For example, explorers who have accrued large sums of cash, they'll be able to take a Fleet Carrier and ferry it out to the remote regions of the galaxy and explore never-before seen locations. Equally, explorers could set their Fleet Carrier up as a trading post in a convenient location to turn a profit while they engage in other activities.

I appreciate the effort, but if you're gonna non-answer with a flat bit of marketing talk, don't bother.

I have 21bn on XB main account and working on the alt account at the moment - plenty of time till June.
So yea, there is a good chance that i will get a FC on both of my accounts.

Expecting absolutely nothing more than a megaship, the stream gave me waaaay more than that and this pleases me and it probably pleases many others.
Also i think is really far fetched to talk about a lot of missed opportunities

I see absolutely no problems with the FC except maybe the lack of UC.
But i can live with that.
I have 2 accounts also and both could afford a FC, but I'm probably just going to get it on just one account, at least to start. After I mess around with it a while, I'll decide if I want/need a second one.

Ship count in inara are not unique but Edsm are - last 24h - > 619 players visited Borann... Not all of them miners

Please, please FD let us sell engineered modules on board the FC, how cool would that be?

Also, why are we not able to hand in exploration data? I heard one of the reasons was so we would still use stations. Of course we will, we still need to by ships and modules :)

Ship count in inara are not unique but Edsm are - last 24h - > 619 players visited Borann... Not all of them miners
A very large number of them were pirates and gankers.
The usual suspects either looking for legitimate pirating activity or cheap thrills, destroying mining ships with minimal defensive capability.

o7

Q. How might an explorer fund their Fleet Carrier's upkeep costs?
A. Whilst Elite Dangerous' top traders might want to turn their Fleet Carrier into a trading post that turns a profit, we expect most Fleet Carriers to be fitted in ways that help players do what they enjoy in the game. For example, explorers who have accrued large sums of cash, they'll be able to take a Fleet Carrier and ferry it out to the remote regions of the galaxy and explore never-before seen locations. Equally, explorers could set their Fleet Carrier up as a trading post in a convenient location to turn a profit while they engage in other activities.
Answer the question.

While I wound't mind UC being added to FCs, I still don't understand while people are so worked up about this. Does every piece of content have to cater to every player and play style out there?
Why not given everyone a FC for free, with no upkeep cost?
Not a suggestion, but a serious question, the answer to which depends on their purpose - the purpose of introducing them into the game.
We all have an opinion of the price etc, but the why (5Bn/10M per week etc) is still a mystery to me.
I can speculate like many here. And like many here imagine my speculation is fact.

Why not given everyone a FC for free, with no upkeep cost?
Not a suggestion, but a serious question, the answer to which depends on their purpose - the purpose of introducing them into the game.
We all have an opinion of the price etc, but the why (5Bn/10M per week etc) is still a mystery to me.
I can speculate like many here. And like many here imagine my speculation is fact.
The purpose is not entirely clear to me either, 'late game money sink' seems like a solid bet right now. My only hope is that we also get some quality game-play alongside.

But for sure there are a lot more, because Inara had 125000 accounts, while ED sold 1.5 millions copies of Horizons.
You are making a lot of wild assumptions based on unrealistic data. Out of those 1.5 million copies, how many people do you think still play this game? Games have terrible retention which makes this....
If we keep the percentages - 3% out of 1.5 millions is about 48000 commanders.

Completely pointless. You also assume that 3% is going to be the standard across the board. Not true at all. People who use external tools and sites and bother to register for them are people who invest more heavily in the game. That directly correlates to their wealth. Thus Inara percentage will be a higher number than the general population as people who register there will be more invested in the game than people who just mess around in it.
In June, there could be 20000 carriers there...
LOL. Based on feedback i have seen, unless they make some serious tweaks to carriers, there wont be 20k carriers in the game in June 2021 little lone in Borann in June 2020. Maybe 1 out of 10 people who say " i have the money for this thing" also say" i would buy one of these in their current state" , that maint. fee and money sink even when your not playing and then an auto decommission REALLY puts people off these.

You keep on living in fantasy land though, maybe your dream of enough carriers in Borann to form a Dyson Sphere will come true!

Last edited:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/fvym6o Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/fvym6o/fleet_carriers_in_beta_will_cost_5billion/

Greetings everyone, it's your ever lovable dead-horse beating latvian bringing you NEWS!
After having concerns during developer stream on Fleet Carrier "reveal" I noticed something in this particular segment ~52mins
I got a worry that for beta they will not give you the carrier itself OR extra credits to buy one SO I followed it up and investigated. I contacted Stephen myself and asked directly
"Hello. I would require 1 piece of clarification about beta: Will you, developers, provide players with funds to acquire fleet carriers for the beta?"
Answer given to this was following
"Hey Yamiks, Developers will not provide addition funds to players to purchase Fleet Carriers in the beta. "
Of course this being Yamiks, I asked for a little clarification on WHY this is going to be a thin. And answer
"Yes you can say that the current plan is that fleet Carriers will cost 5bn in the beta, but this may change..."
"We need people to test owning, and being guests at Fleet Carrier. The current plan is to have people who have the funds to purchase them to get them like they would in the live game, so we can manage the feedback and the bugs. Just because you can't own one doesn't mean you can't participate, guests on Fleet Carriers are just as important as the owners for these tests"
Now this is what I gathered and MASSIVE thanks to out CM Stephen Benedetti for providing not only info , but a speedy response too!
As for information...well....I mean....wow!

In the end of the stream:
Source: https://youtu.be/8BJqDJp525k?t=3165

"Also test to be a guest on the Fleet"

Nice One .... I think you have triked all of us ....

Doesn't it totally depend on the abundance of tritium?

LTD's might be relatively rare but while tritium (hydrogen-3) is rare on Earth that's probably because of the geomagnetic field. Tritium can be produced in a number of ways but a fast neutron (solar radiation) interacting with nitrogen can produce it and nitrogen is common, being only atomic number 7.

In other words it won't be much of a grind if there's tritium literally everywhere.
how long does it take to mine 500t of anything if you can only use surface and subsurface deposits? - a very long time. laser and core mining wont do it, it has to be abrasion blasters and sub-surface missiles

unless every second rock is covered in tritium deposits, the 2 hour jump cycle wont matter once you need more fuel

Last edited:
You are making a lot of wild assumptions based on unrealistic data. Out of those 1.5 million copies, how many people do you think still play this game? Games have terrible retention which makes this....

Between 100000 and 200000 accounts are played more or less regularly - that is at least once per week or per 2 weeks.
It's a number that appear on the forums quite often based on various statistics, including squadron statistics.

Completely pointless. You also assume that 3% is going to be the standard across the board. Not true at all. People who use external tools and sites and bother to register for them are people who invest more heavily in the game. That directly correlates to their wealth. Thus Inara percentage will be a higher number than the general population as people who register there will be more invested in the game than people who just mess around in it.

Yes, so in February there were at least 4000 commanders that had more than 5bn cash.
And in June there will be way more, because people are mining like there is no tomorrow.
They suddenly found a new use for them credits.

To those, we should add the numbers of commanders that do not bother to register to Inara.
So maybe there will not be 48000 cmdrs, but certainly there will be way more than 4000.
20000 was only the middle ground :)

Based on feedback i have seen

Yeah, sure - from the 50 people that posted on this thread?

Keep in mind FD have the real statistics and i'm pretty sure the costs and the maintenance were not chosen randomly
But the prices are certainly not set in stone and could be adjusted before launch. Apparently they did that before with certain ships.

Top Bottom