How are the Proximity Mines?

yeah, i would like to know too, but probably i will just need to try them if nobody else will bother ;)

I was wondering about that as well.

Moreover, I wonder how long mines will stay in space and how mines and instancing mechanics work (i.e. do they only appear in instances they were deployed in or do they appear in all instances? Do they cross over from open play into solo online and vice versa?).

Last edited:
I was wondering about that as well.

Moreover, I wonder how long mines will stay in space and how mines and instancing mechanics work (i.e. do they only appear in instances they were deployed in or do they appear in all instances? Do they cross over from open play into solo online and vice versa?).

I think they work same as missiles, where you deploy there they stay and when np PC are there they vanish, but i will try them when i got bored of missions, wipe is coming anyway ;/

I think they work same as missiles, where you deploy there they stay and when np PC are there they vanish, but i will try them when i got bored of missions, wipe is coming anyway ;/

Yeah - makes sense from a networking POV and I assume that's the way they will work.

However, when I first saw there were mines in the game in one of the trailers/commercials, I instantly though of a scenario where someone finds a deposit of valuable asteroids and deploys minefields around them so all but one approach would be mined. Doubt it will happen though - even Eve had to take them out.

Guess they'll just work as something very temporary you drop out of your ship to get rid of a pursuer you can't get off your tail.

I'll try them once I've upgraded to a Cobra.

Due to the only persistent player state being the state of their ship, anything you encounter will have been placed by a player during the lifetime of that p2p island (player jettisonned cargo or mines), or is part of a PvE set-piece created by the game (USS floating cargo encounters, minefields, mineable asteroids in future). And anything placed by a player likely has a countdown on it to prevent entity overload in the island (see The Great Port Zelada Can Spam incident of spring 3300).

The only sort-of exception to the above may be deployable mining automata, but these will only be there for the original owner to return to (dynamically re-instantiated when the owner returns to collect, and a die roll will determine if an NPC is supposed to have wrecked it in your absence)'

FD have said many times that they aren't going to overlay the PG universe with a database-backed collection of persistent objects that one player can place and another player can encounter.

I think I got had by one, or otherwise it was a bug.

I was chasing an NPC in straight flight, then I *think* I might have seen some white contacts on the scanner as I thought he was dropping cargo. I then exploded in a great death ball of pain, hurt and misery (well, that's probably putting a shine on it, but...)

My immediate reaction was "***?!" but then I wondered if this is mines at play...?

edit: seriously, we're masking out acronyms now?!

Top Bottom