Building/barrier improvement suggestions

While the building in PZ is pretty good, I do think there are a few things that would make building enclosures and buildings much easier

1. Make it so you can optionally place "decorative fences" like normal barriers. Unless it's perfectly straight, having to place these fence pieces one at a time is nothing short of a tedious nightmare. Instead of meters, you can then have the slider change the number of fence pieces so if you slide to 8, you can place down a straight line of 8, or slide it to 1 if you want to make a curvy piece.

2. Have fences be a part of the building part. Whenever I try and make indoor sections of fencing that aren't made with the null fence, I always have to leave ugly patches of dirt everywhere in the building and the fence itself is quite uneven with the rest of the building. It would be nice if there was a way to have a path be completely in sync with the grid of buildings and paths if I'm making either an exhibit complex or backstage cages.

2. Have fences be a part of the building part. Whenever I try and make indoor sections of fencing that aren't made with the null fence, I always have to leave ugly patches of dirt everywhere in the building and the fence itself is quite uneven with the rest of the building. It would be nice if there was a way to have a path be completely in sync with the grid of buildings and paths if I'm making either an exhibit complex or backstage cages.

To have your path be in 'sync' with the grid of a building, you only need to click 'align to grid' when placing the path and select the group you want it aligned to.

To have your path be in 'sync' with the grid of a building, you only need to click 'align to grid' when placing the path and select the group you want it aligned to.
Well, it doesn't work perfectly. mostly in cases of curved barriers, and bigger plazas. Also. I'm all in for the improvement of barrier building. Actually im nearly never using basic barriers since they're not specially interesting. My barriers are built of zoopedia frames,random logs,ropes etc. but building them is a horrible experience. So as i said. Fully agreed with the OP(y)

1. Make it so you can optionally place "decorative fences" like normal barriers. Unless it's perfectly straight, having to place these fence pieces one at a time is nothing short of a tedious nightmare. Instead of meters, you can then have the slider change the number of fence pieces so if you slide to 8, you can place down a straight line of 8, or slide it to 1 if you want to make a curvy piece.

Tedious is an understatement sometimes :p
While a lot of people mentioned variation in animals, I'd also like to see more variation in barriers and have some adjustments like this one.

Know that. What I'm saying is that I'd like that for barriers and stuff. Having paths on a grid is a massive boon for indoor areas.

Last edited:
Know that. What I'm saying is that I'd like that for barriers and stuff. Having paths on a grid is a massive boon for indoor areas.

Oh, you specifically mentioned 'path in sync with building' so I thought you were talking about that. Yeah, it would be nice if we could align the barriers to a grid, but I don't see it happening; the paths and barriers need to remain a small distance apart after all, which isn't possible if both are aligned to the same grid.

Oh, you specifically mentioned 'path in sync with building' so I thought you were talking about that. Yeah, it would be nice if we could align the barriers to a grid, but I don't see it happening; the paths and barriers need to remain a small distance apart after all, which isn't possible if both are aligned to the same grid.
Then make it so that in grid mode, fences can be right up on the path

Then make it so that in grid mode, fences can be right up on the path

It's likely that the systems they use for paths and barriers simply don't allow for that. I'm not saying it's a bad idea or anything, I'm just being pragmatic; it's one of those things that I imagine isn't possible, because if it was it seems like they would have done it in the base game.

It's likely that the systems they use for paths and barriers simply don't allow for that. I'm not saying it's a bad idea or anything, I'm just being pragmatic; it's one of those things that I imagine isn't possible, because if it was it seems like they would have done it in the base game.
I think if they can do Brick Wall barriers, may be similar way, all the fences under construction tab can behave like that. They can decide which way it will work. So we can use them to build walls like we do in habitat walls.

This gave me an idea. What if there was a way to add a checkbox, like with 'add railing to ground path' but instead it would be 'add barrier to ground path' and have the 'left, right, both' options like one-way glass? That seems like a feasible option given the current system.

Top Bottom