Hi guys, not wanting to add fuel to the already inpolite language around this subject, and yes please lets all try and be civil, but whilst I'm currently out of the game for a while, I had some time to spare and decided to look into the 'that' image again.

My origianl assessment was based off a very poor mobile screen grab, but I've since loaded it up into my 4k plasma and Photoshop.

To give some back ground info, I do work in the field of 'information interogation' and trained in fine art / film making and digital manipulation. There are many ways to manipulate such an image and a lot of ways to un-mask certain effects, but there are a few simple ways to mask editing by 100% if you know what you are doing.

Normally the only way to tell if an image has been fiddled with is if the creator is poor at hiding their tracks, or to manipulate the colours etc, to look for patterns etc and also crack the meta-data (which I cant do out of the office). Anyhoo going off what meta data is available it looks to have been scrubbed, which is probably the hosts platforms normal practise.

The text at the bottom left had been smudged, in my opion, not blurred as blurring can be undone, I cant un-smudge it outside the office, but if you flip the contrast, volume, and colours etc there is a few letters visible, but nothing can be obtianied from it, personally I think they applied a mobile smudge effect over the top of the original image, as its just mostly noise. If it were me, I would also flatten and screen grab the image a few times too to hide any history.

The image in the centre, I cant see any tells, e.g. replication, patterns etc and there seems to be a natural glow in the backdrop (under false colours) which fits and disipates with the rest of the image, if it is edited then its a good edit, but again its easy to do.

View attachment 174307
This is the best quality image I can get of the centre of the picture (shown here in B/W for better detail), its sperical, brownish with golden lines converging, it has a reflective surface indicating either an object of astronomical body, the pattern also seems to match the holo display.

To reiterate my initial assessment my personal opinion was that it was balderdash. And I stand with that still as its still a singular peice of information, nothing to support it.

Such information, as is submitted here, can be best described as 'unreliable' and the source is certainly 'unknown', on its own and using scientific principles it cant be supported on that basis alone.

If you follow the standards for attributing confidence to investigative intelligence, information only becomes reliable once it can be said at best to be 'known directly' or 'indirectly but corroborated'. Anything lower is untested or unreliable.

I would just go hmmmm probably not, but maybe, who-knows?
All of that is good work, but for me, the obvious bit is that the numbers don't add up. My guess is that it's two different screen shots welded into one or something along those lines. The font in the top bit of the screen is good everywhere except the "RAXXLA" name. So my guess is that he took an empty sky box and then took the reticle and plopped it on to the empty sky box. Then slapped a pattern on a sphere, copy/paste, and voila.

Two more things before I get to the nail in the coffin, though. The light is off on the object, likely because it was made in another program. It's far too bright and the light is directly behind the Asp. Problem is, as you can see from the HUD, the main star is aft and starboard, so the light should be more "centered" on the planet to screen right. Also, a planet that is that big at 92 light seconds? That's 17,140,000 miles away....and it's that big? Raxxla thicc, tho, boi!

Anyhow, enough faffing around. Let's put this to bed for good....I'm dying for some Lavian brandy. Speaking of the HUD and 92 light seconds, let's do a little math. The HUD says that the ship is traveling 0.14c (that's 42,000km/s or 2,520,000km/h) and that "Raxxla" is 92.0ls away. Here's where it gets tricky. If all of that were true, it would take the ship 6.8 HOURS to get there, not the six minutes and forty one seconds shown in the pic. So either the game's fundamental engine of space travel, velocities, distance, and timing are broken - along with the font - or, this is a copy paste job that I just blew out the air lock with my maths.

And before anyone says, "Oi, Biowaste Bucket! Maybe that's six HOURS and forty one MINUTES, eh? Y'ever think o'that, didje?" Yes, I have...and as someone who has done multiple Hutton runs, I know that times displayed in hours always have six digits. Also, even if it was six hours and forty one minutes, even that's wrong because 6and 8/10 of an hour would be 6:48, not 6:41.

It's a fake.

Last edited:
:p:p:p
the burden of proof - Copy.jpg

ok i did some analysis on this image. and here's your final proof that it is fake. even though before i break it down, i must admit, after all the tests i did, the quality of editing here is quite good. i dont see how people say it's easily fake. because it's not. (from a visual analysis point of view). not "easily" at least. he completely covered his tracks as far as the image effects itself go, but he forgot to cover his tracks on his thought process. and i got him good.

the object in the screenshot looked like a dyson sphere to me. so i asked myself, if i wanted to fake a dyson sphere in my screenshot, what would i do?
ofcourse! i would google dyson sphere. here's what google search result brings up for dyson sphere.
A_Dyson_Swarm_Superstructure_(21983905140).jpg
at first glance it looked very supicious to me. so i played with it.
if you cut it perfectly in a circle and put it next to the screenshot, and change it's color tone to a slightly reddish tone. you get this:
fake.jpg
i know. it's disappointing sigh...
if you look closely, the patterns are exactly the same. there is no shadow of a doubt that the image from google was used in the screenshot.

somehow i wanted to believe the screenshot was true, just to give me a tiny hope. maybe it was the original purpose of who ever uploaded it? but that seems like a definite proof it is fake. and the hope is shattered into pieces again. hopefully though we can put this at rest, and move on. there is a real totally not fake raxxla out there in the black. and it only wants to get found!

Last edited:
ok i did some analysis on this image. and here's your final proof that it is fake. even though before i break it down, i must admit, after all the tests i did, the quality of editing here is quite good. i dont see how people say it's easily fake. because it's not. not "easily" at least. that much i can admit. he completely covered his tracks as far as the image effects itself go, but he forgot to cover his tracks on his thought process. and i got him good.

the object in the screenshot looked like a dyson sphere to me. so i asked myself, if i wanted to fake a dyson sphere in my screenshot, what would i do?
ofcourse! i would google dyson sphere. here's what google search result brings up for dyson sphere.
if you cut it perfectly in a circle and put it next to the screenshot, and change it's color tone to a slightly reddish tone. you get this:
if you look closely, the patterns are exactly the same. there is no shadow of a doubt that the image from google was used in the screenshot.

somehow i wanted to believe the screenshot was true, just to give me a tiny hope. maybe it was the original purpose of who ever uploaded it? but that seems like a definite proof it is fake. and the hope is shattered into pieces again. hopefully though we can put this at rest, and move on. there is a real totally not fake raxxla out there in the black. and it only wants to get found!
It's a good fake, but the font on the text 'RAXXLA' is also a bit of. The letters are to fat. Easy to see when you compare the L in RAXXLA with the L in Ls.
The text also look to be a tad to far to the left.

Last edited:
ok i did some analysis on this image. and here's your final proof that it is fake. even though before i break it down, i must admit, after all the tests i did, the quality of editing here is quite good. i dont see how people say it's easily fake. because it's not. (from a visual analysis point of view). not "easily" at least. he completely covered his tracks as far as the image effects itself go, but he forgot to cover his tracks on his thought process. and i got him good.

You found the pic? Nice. I was sure it was a Japanese Ojime Ball, you know, small decorative item made from lacquer, bone, turtle shell, what have you. Invented during the Edo period, you'd wear small objects like these with kimono to look fabulous. Interesting how perception is managed.
266px-A_Japanese_Meiji_Era_Mixed_Metal_Ojime_Bead.png
An_Antique_Japanese_Meiji_Era_Signed_Gilt_Bronze_Pearl_Inlaid_Ojime_Bead.jpg
179px-Inro%2C_Ojime%2C_and_Netsuke_LACMA_AC1998.249.313_%281_of_2%29.jpg
1590396349956.jpeg

Of course the image had to be somewhere. It always is so.
Dyson sphere, huh?

Brilliant job Cmdr bravo. I didn't search for the image myself as it was late and didn't want to expend any more energy. On first seeing your post I immediately recognised it. Yup its the same.

Get this Cmdr a bigger tinfoil hat 07

Last edited:

Great job. Maybe @Xaintly can put this debunk into his document for posterity. Occasionally it still pops up in discord or reddit.

he tried to make it look like the original dyson sphere image (hollow from the inside) but, because of the low resolution, the scaling down artifacts and the non-matching background stars, ended up looking more like a planet with markings on the surface. i also tried layering the google image on top of the holographic HUD part, and it blended and fit perfectly on top of it.

there was other noticable hints in there like some people pointed out, like the text not looking quite right, the font and other things, but those ultimately did not constitute a 100% proof for me. there could have been simply a possible unique font for it. aswell as for the numbers of arrival being affected by possible gravity anomalies messing with the numbers, etc. the google image though, i think it puts the nail in the coffin. hopefully we can safely cross it off the list. (y)

good hunting Cmdrs o7

Last edited:
Definitely getting into the dossier. You see, it is my firm belief the community managers do weekly reports of the thread for Lord Braben, to make sense of it. So, the game development is being directly guided by such things as how community is doing with their gardening, and taking care of their pets. Occasionally Raxxla is being found too. Lots of jumping across the galaxy. Sometimes adoring comments of Will in anomalous context. They'd be foolish not to. That's why there are so many community managers these days.

I think this fake is well and truly stomped. The thing that made me dubious from the outset was that the first time this was posted it was accompanied by a second pic purporting to show the player’s ship at Polaris. Now since Polaris is permit-locked with no known source of the permit this threw the whole thing into doubt for me. I would have been more interested in knowing how the poster got that permit than in the supposed solution! (Since Polaris was locked in a previous Elite game by the Thargoids and you had to complete a mission for them to get the permit, I suspect something similar will be the ED storyline on this).

What got my goat (apologies to our Capra aegagrus hircus overlords, or any worshippers thereof) yesterday was someone trolling this as a valid hypothesis but then strongly insulting anyone who tried to throw the clear light of contrary evidence onto it. He has joined my Ignore list, so he should be honoured; after 5 and a half years of playing ED and involvement in the fora there are only 18 names on my ignore list, and we have had quite a few trolls.

This thread has worked so well over the last few years because we are a polite, friendly community and apply an occasional bit of humour to liven up what is a pretty frustrating search. These all good things for a general philosophy of life, but particularly important in these troubled pandemic times. We should be especially kind to ourselves and also everyone else.

This community doesn’t mind what ideas are postulated. No matter how far-fetched they are (and some have been pretty weird, some of my own not excluded!). We might gently try to dissuade people from wasting their time if an idea is clearly wrong or has been previously tested out, we might even argue quite strongly against something (but always with the concept, never with antipathy towards the person professing it!). But we strongly encourage people to have ideas, then go test them out in-game. We are encouraging people to play the game with a purpose and thereby get more enjoyment from it!

Whatever Raxxla may turn out to be in-game (and it is bound to be disappointing after all the fun of the quest) I say the true spirit of Raxxla is the values of this community!
To Raxxla!
Fly safe commanders

Definitely getting into the dossier. You see, it is my firm belief the community managers do weekly reports of the thread for Lord Braben, to make sense of it. So, the game development is being directly guided by such things as how community is doing with their gardening, and taking care of their pets. Occasionally Raxxla is being found too. Lots of jumping across the galaxy. Sometimes adoring comments of Will in anomalous context. They'd be foolish not to. That's why there are so many community managers these days.

Oh, I’m firmly of the belief that DB and MB and the ED community managers all read our thread daily
With rounds of hearty laughter over their morning coffee! 😂

“I’ve checked three moons, how many more are there?”😁
This guy has a good sense of humour, but...
Waves hand mysteriously
This is not the Raxxla you are looking for...
Getting a sensei vibe from you there @Jorki Rasalas . Was waiting for "To find Raxxla....You must become Raxxla" or "To find what is truly lost you must also be truly lost. Only then both you and what you seek will be truely found" :)

I think this fake is well and truly stomped. The thing that made me dubious from the outset was that the first time this was posted it was accompanied by a second pic purporting to show the player’s ship at Polaris. Now since Polaris is permit-locked with no known source of the permit this threw the whole thing into doubt for me. I would have been more interested in knowing how the poster got that permit than in the supposed solution! (Since Polaris was locked in a previous Elite game by the Thargoids and you had to complete a mission for them to get the permit, I suspect something similar will be the ED storyline on this).

What got my goat (apologies to our Capra aegagrus hircus overlords, or any worshippers thereof) yesterday was someone trolling this as a valid hypothesis but then strongly insulting anyone who tried to throw the clear light of contrary evidence onto it. He has joined my Ignore list, so he should be honoured; after 5 and a half years of playing ED and involvement in the fora there are only 18 names on my ignore list, and we have had quite a few trolls.

This thread has worked so well over the last few years because we are a polite, friendly community and apply an occasional bit of humour to liven up what is a pretty frustrating search. These all good things for a general philosophy of life, but particularly important in these troubled pandemic times. We should be especially kind to ourselves and also everyone else.

This community doesn’t mind what ideas are postulated. No matter how far-fetched they are (and some have been pretty weird, some of my own not excluded!). We might gently try to dissuade people from wasting their time if an idea is clearly wrong or has been previously tested out, we might even argue quite strongly against something (but always with the concept, never with antipathy towards the person professing it!). But we strongly encourage people to have ideas, then go test them out in-game. We are encouraging people to play the game with a purpose and thereby get more enjoyment from it!

Whatever Raxxla may turn out to be in-game (and it is bound to be disappointing after all the fun of the quest) I say the true spirit of Raxxla is the values of this community!
To Raxxla!
Fly safe commanders
<drinks>

Fact - Elite has 2 different types of objects
1. Beacons, stations
2. Ground objects like geo site or planetary port.

You can see (1) from infinite range, and disengage on it right from orbit. That happens when they place tourist beacon on ground. Question is what class raxxla belongs, so that will define behavior.

Top Bottom