VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

Note that the official word is VR will not be in Odyssey AT LAUNCH. Granted, that does not promise VR will be added later, nor give any indication of how high up the priority list it is, but at least it does signal that if they manage to get the experience right, they will re-add it. (I believe that they could not get the 'experience' right in VR in Odyssey, and that caused its omission)

Whilst Horizons and base ED will continue to support VR, one has to wonder if player who cannot complete "odyssey only"ground missions will be at a material/equipment disadvantage in their Horizons ships. I guess we will have to wait and see...

Frontier have released one teaser trailer and the forum has gone into melt down.
I don’t see the same anger at base building NOT being in Odyssey. That affects ALL commanders on ALL platforms, not Just the small vocal entitled few, some of which will get the update free anyway.

Fronier have already slipped the launch window for Odyssey due to the amount of work they have to do. Why do you think that vociferously moaning that they haven’t included something that you want is going to manic it in there?

Because they are cutting a very important feature to a lot of players out of the game. What if they cut something out of the game important to you? What if the update stated it wasn't going to continue supporting HOTAS and will be KB/M only etc.

Its been said a lot here already, but my bet for why they wont be implementing VR for Odyssey at launch is due to how much dev work would need to be done, and what percent of the playerbase has VR, as well as the playability limitations of it.

It was probably fairly simple to add VR to the current "seated only" game since the camera does not have to move independent of the ship. Its fairly simple. Head movement for looking, and then a joystick + throttle for controls (or a keyboard + mouse). Its not fundamentally different from the main game, the biggest change is how the camera moves.

Now compare this to something like the new Half Life game. Complex motion controls, movement systems, inventory management, etc, all built from the ground up for VR. Now imagine trying to play this without VR. It wont work.

Its probably then that Fdev is trying to save time, and provide a better overall experience by building a game that will work for the largest segment of the playerbase (and potential future playerbase) by building it for the non-VR users. Anyone who has a VR setup can play without VR if they choose. It does not work the other way around. It would be extremely clunky to play something designed for VR without it, int the same way that a game poorly adapted to VR isnt fantastic to play.

We probably will see VR show up in the future. It wasnt a launch feature of the game, so it makes sense that they would take their time to develop something good here too.

Ah so its the classic forum trope of getting angry with frontier because rumours started on the forum don't pan out.
I'd never suggest that...
(but it does sound like it to me, after all that leak was 'Gospel' to some - even I was told I knew nothing (true) when I suggested it may not be absolutely correct 🤣)

Last edited:
Frontier have come back and clarified the situation.
  • Elite Odyssey - will not support VR at launch but it will come soon after.
Where was the "but it will come soon after"?

I didn't see any mention of timing for re-adding VR, and I took the "at launch" but as meaning best intentions without a firm promise (which I fully understand the difficulty of giving, as they need to crack the experience before they can consider re-introducing it)

Where did you glean this pearl from? Sounds like fake news to me.

if you had listened to today’s twitch stream, you would have heard Tim say as much.
I have also included a copy to his forum post backing up his statement.

Soon isn’t time bound.
Frontier have acknowledged the mass hysteria generated by the small percentage of VR players who are feeling that they have been personally slighted and feel justified in acting like two year olds, throwing tantrums.

I watched that stream and I don't recall anything about SOON, let alone any promise at all. Instead all I heard was that, "VR is very hard to do right because of motion sickness" and "we can't comment right now, but as soon as we can comment, we will."

Are you telling me that I fell asleep during the best part and didn't even realize it?

Everybody that tries VR for the first time is gonna feel funny. Thats just how things are.
So the whole "its hard to do because vomit" is poor cover for a very bad business decision.

if you had listened to today’s twitch stream, you would have heard Tim say as much.
I have also included a copy to his forum post backing up his statement.

Soon isn’t time bound.
Frontier have acknowledged the mass hysteria generated by the small percentage of VR players who are feeling that they have been personally slighted and feel justified in acting like two year olds, throwing tantrums.
Ahh, TL;DR - you made it up! Gotcha.

Frontier have come back and clarified the situation.
(repeatedly on the twitch stream today where so many people were bombarding the chat with so many VR comments that nothing else could be discussed.)

• Elite (non horizons) - will continue to support VR
  • Elite Horizons - will continue to support VR
  • Elite Beyond - will continue to support VR
  • Elite Odyssey - will not support VR at launch but it will come soon after.

Can you please not moan about the game for the next 8 months, until it is released.

Frontier have released one teaser trailer and the forum has gone into melt down.
I don’t see the same anger at base building NOT being in Odyssey. That affects ALL commanders on ALL platforms, not Just the small vocal entitled few, some of which will get the update free anyway.

Fronier have already slipped the launch window for Odyssey due to the amount of work they have to do. Why do you think that vociferously moaning that they haven’t included something that you want is going to manic it in there?
We need to be drama queens in order to make sure VR support gets addressed shortly after release!

S!

This is not an accurate description of the situation. Depending on how Odyssey interfaces with the base game and Horizons, the game experience wothout Odyssey may be severely impacted to the level where it is unplayable without a significant disadvantage. This would severely alter and take away from the gaming experience from the game we are playing today and that we believed we were getting when we bought the game. That is a far cry from a feature that has never been officially confirmed not being in the next expansion.
As others have speculated, I'm wondering whether Odyssey will be a more self-contained affair.

It's written in lemon juice. Just hold your monitor up to a candle and you'll see it.
Anything Hello Games can do, FD can do better.
There have been a lot of complaints about motion sickness.

I think New Era also brings a nrw Cobra 4 Engine in. Frontier will want to get it right.

Don't forget they need a new version of Elite to play on PS4 and Scarlett.

Fake news is a meaningless phrase much like military intelligence or politically correct

Top Bottom