What's this, upcoming player bases?

I don't remember seeing this before.

whatisit.png

Is it wishful thinking that this may be for future content, where players get to own systems they first discover and "plant their flag" (ie - base building) in? Or is this something more boring like an entire system that belongs solely to an engineer? I've not heard of the latter, and if it existed, I would assume that's what the workshop filter is for.

Anyway, WHAT IS THIS???

Last edited:
The leak was right, it just got cut, and the above is frontier's quality standards by the developer who was told to remove what they had already done from the live game.

On further inspection, those are carriers. If you go to the commodities market screen, its stamped there for some reason.

Last edited:
My market is open for a few things and I'm in an uninhabited system. It doesn't show up on the map when using the filter, so I think it's not carriers.

Deleted member 182079

D
It's definitely carriers. Seen that category used when looking up a carrier in system view.

I don't remember seeing this before.

Is it wishful thinking that this may be for future content, where players get to own systems they first discover and "plant their flag" (ie - base building) in? Or is this something more boring like an entire system that belongs solely to an engineer? I've not heard of the latter, and if it existed, I would assume that's what the workshop filter is for.

Anyway, WHAT IS THIS???

Base building is not going to be in Odyssee, so much is already known. That being said, I wonder if players will be able to buy and place Space Stations in unclaimed systems in the future? I mean, Fleet Carriers are essientally just moving Space Stations anyway. But really, that's just a thought, not even a hope ;)

Base building is not going to be in Odyssee, so much is already known. That being said, I wonder if players will be able to buy and place Space Stations in unclaimed systems in the future? I mean, Fleet Carriers are essientally just moving Space Stations anyway. But really, that's just a thought, not even a hope ;)

I also think this ... I said as much in Kerrash's discord

hDNEdk7.jpg

I still wouldn't hold my breath to be honest. Between Space Legs and atmospheric planets, I do not think that there are many resources left to invest in additional, major changes to the game in the Odyssee DLC. My best bet is that Space Legs and atmospheric planets are the main features and everything else is closly related to it (e.g. maybe a new SRV, those curious Social Hubs etc.)

Actualy, in system view it says that carrier economy type is Private enterprise
That galaxy map filter is for government and it's Private ownership.

And I couldn't find any system highlighted on map with that state, carriers or no
I think the most likely explanation of this is that whoever was supposed to type 'Private enterprise' into the relevant Galaxy map entry typed 'Private ownership' instead.

Deleted member 182079

D
Actualy, in system view it says that carrier economy type is Private enterprise
That galaxy map filter is for government and it's Private ownership.

And I couldn't find any system highlighted on map with that state, carriers or no
I just put it down to FDs well established track record of consistency and polish:)

On your final sentence, the way it might (or was supposed to) work is they would show up if nearby FCs have an active market i.e. stuff to buy and sell. Can't say I spent any time with it to test though and given how many things don't work properly it might be a futile exercise...

It would be nice to be able to build a base in a remote world and retire there watching all days a relaxing alien sunset in your front porch. Then there would be a new role in Elite, the space hermit.

I've said it before, I believe Fleet Carriers are the player base building feature that was rumored. Modular, customizable, cosmetic options ... the only way they differ from the "bases" people were expecting is that they aren't attached to planetary surfaces.

Yep, that's pretty much my thoughts as well.

True, but this doesn't say anything about base "owning". The carriers could be some sort of pilot scheme to test the infrastructure of player owned stations/outposts. I'm talking about already existing structures that would change their ownership from a local NPC faction to a player (either single or faction). But don't listen to me, my visions and dreams are usually wrong...
I'd actually prefer this to micromanaged base-building like Space Engineers or NMS. Just give me some different base types to choose from and "plant" where I want them, just like I can choose from different ships to fly. As fun as it is to build things in games like Space Engineers, Elite is not this kind of game, and as much as I like building things, sometimes I want a game where I just "plop down" a predesigned asset without fuss and enjoy its benefits.

Update:
Just booted my Elite G19 Companion App (status page) where the following 3 lines are displayed (I'm in uncivilised space btw.):

XZT-LQL (my carrier) and then below

Owned by: Fleet Carrier​
Economy: Private Enterprise​
Government: Private Ownership​

This app is connected and reads from the Elite Dangerous API

On the galaxy map it makes no difference though when I toggle this filter.

I just pulled this from my flight logs (journal):

{ "timestamp":"2020-06-19T21:36:45Z", "event":"Docked", "StationName":"LNM-WHZ", "StationType":"FleetCarrier", "StarSystem":"Blua Eaec VZ-O d6-396", "SystemAddress":13615440449339, "MarketID":3700145408, "StationFaction":{ "Name":"FleetCarrier" }, "StationGovernment":"$government_Carrier;", "StationGovernment_Localised":"Private Ownership ", "StationServices":[ "dock", "autodock", "commodities", "contacts", "crewlounge", "rearm", "refuel", "repair", "shipyard", "engineer", "flightcontroller", "stationoperations", "stationMenu", "carriermanagement", "carrierfuel" ], "StationEconomy":"$economy_Carrier;", "StationEconomy_Localised":"Private Enterprise", "StationEconomies":[ { "Name":"$economy_Carrier;", "Name_Localised":"Private Enterprise", "Proportion":1.000000 } ], "DistFromStarLS":0.000000 }

Interesting... It's also proof that carriers are just stations in disguise!

Top Bottom