General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Between 5 and 8% of the US population has been infected with the new coronavirus, said Thursday the director of the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC), Robert Redfield, who insists that the pandemic is far from being stopped in the country.

More than 20 million people and on the order of ten times the official number of cases, said Robert Redfield.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

So, in Germany some things surrounding the outbreak have intially looked like they've gone well and proper out of control, atmo I am not really clear about what is going on . I do not have time for research, can probably look into things a bit deeper over the WE .

In any case, the Pandemic has shown easily how quickly the Virus is able to take control and run things . At least 2 districts are under lockdown in Germany 'cos of that ONE meatplant . People coming from those 2 districts are not allowed to travel into some other Areas in Germany by now - hello Balkanization . I am NOT surprised, are you ? Expect this to become a global Problem - people are renting cars so they can still travel...

Prof. Drosten, THE man in Germany, is on vacation for a few weeks . He really, really needs it . Said in a podcast recently he does not really look into the near future - 1, 2 months - optimisitcally for Germany .

Dangit . I hate people sometimes . People are STUPID ! It looked like we well an truly had the Beast !

As lysan posted above . Check your stockpile . If you can, get out of cities/densely packed Areas . This is going to get worse the next 5 month, the least .

Winter is coming ( sorry, I couldn't resist ) .

Last edited:
A large region with over 2.5 million people around the capital of Portugal, Lisbon, has just now entered mandatory confinement again. Our largest hospital in the region is already at 90% ICU capacity. Back to the beginning. 🤦‍♂️

Damn man ! Germany probably on track , too, within 4-6 weeks from now .

And while we might be able to compensate with skills besides intelligence, like determination or passion, in a world where IQ scores continue to fall — and where the drop expands to places like the United States — there’s also a bleaker scenario: a global intelligence crisis that undermines humanity's problem-solving capacity and leaves us ill-equipped to tackle the complex challenges posed by AI, global warming and developments we have yet to imagine.
From 2019.

Dr. Mike Ryan, WHO press brieifng on CoViD -19 June 24th 2020 :

I think this is a question that's facing many countries now because countries have fought hard, including the United Kingdom and populations have sacrificed a lot to drive
transmission down. It's taken time, it's taken its toll on people personally, it's taken its toll on communities, it's taken its toll on the economy.

The rewards for that are low levels of transmission across society but as we've seen, the risk of that jumping back up in particular circumstances, in crowded situations, super-spreading events. So we must be able to reap the harvest as such of such a sacrifice to shut down and lock down and drive transmission down to a low level.

That transmission needs to be kept at that low level and driven even further down. That is going to require extreme vigilance. It's going to require communities staying on board, individuals understanding their responsibility, their contribution to their own protection, to the protection of others.

That communities are involved in this process and taking ownership and feeling empowered and supported by the authorities and that the authorities are able to react quickly to
each and every case, confirm the presence of the disease or not as quickly as possible, turn around testing very quickly and isolate cases when confirmed and identify all their contacts and quarantine those contacts.

I'm sorry for continuing to repeat this but there are no silver bullets, there are no easy answers and each government, including the UK, needs to examine itself at every level and say, are we capable of doing that, is every part of the system able to keep its promise.

I as an individual promise to keep myself safe and I promise to do everything to keep other people safe.
Communities promise themselves that they will keep each other safe;
governments promise citizens that they will keep their citizens safe.

Everyone has got to now live up to the promises they make, the commitments they make and people, everyone at every level, need to follow through.

What happens, is up to us . Checking that Virus - starts with each one of us .

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb6F_6hT3A4

731108.jpg

Contact with green growing things relieves stress.

You can do it inside on a windowsill. With your groceries.

seedling-plants-eggshells-eco-gardening-montessori-egg-carton-ss.jpg

🇳🇴
On a positive note, the first successful blood plasma treatment in Norway was reported today.
A 70 year old man on ventilator wit acute lung failure was given blood plasma from recovered Covid-19 patients. The plasma had a high level of antibodies(IgG).
Tests were done during the next 24-48 hours. Fever was gone and Corona tests from lungs and nose were negative.

Do not underestimate the effects of joyfull, skintight human to human interaction . It is miraculous, really .

Yep, I thought the whole working from home thing would be something of a strain but it turns out we both much prefer it.

Sacrificing my mancave/spaceship cockpit for a home lab is not good, we are considering buying a larger house since covid has massively accelerated the shift to working from home though. Gonna wait and see what the financial slump does to house prices first.

🇳🇴
On a positive note, the first successful blood plasma treatment in Norway was reported today.
A 70 year old man on ventilator wit acute lung failure was given blood plasma from recovered Covid-19 patients. The plasma had a high level of antibodies(IgG).
Tests were done during the next 24-48 hours. Fever was gone and Corona tests from lungs and nose were negative.

We NEED some good news on the subject.

731108.jpg

Contact with green growing things relieves stress.

You can do it inside on a windowsill. With your groceries.

seedling-plants-eggshells-eco-gardening-montessori-egg-carton-ss.jpg

Nature trekking being one of my passions, I can absolutely confirm that it does relieve stress. Walking through some quiet forest, hills, or riverbed is awesome for relaxation. Well for people who, like me, are into this sort of thing.

Yep, I thought the whole working from home thing would be something of a strain but it turns out we both much prefer it.

+1.

These past months working from home have been the best months of my 20 year career by far. I'm loving it so much that making it a permanent arrangement, either in my current company or another, is now one of my top priorities. I can even dream of finally moving away from the city.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom