General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Profile photo, opens profile page on Twitter in a new tab

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus

@DrTedros

60% of all #COVID19 cases so far have been reported just in the past month. We'll never get tired of saying that the best way out of this pandemic is a comprehensive approach. Not testing alone. Not physical distancing alone. Not contact tracing alone. Not masks alone. Do it all.
Everything is fine!

More to the point people, old and young and generally, should think about, and have concern for, others instead of their own pathetic self-interest.

My own self-interest is why I've only come into contact with anyone I don't live with once in the last five months. It's why I'm doing everything reasonably within my power to keep those I care about from exposing themselves unnecessarily.

I'm never going to have an honest concern for most other people, beyond their utility to me, but my self-interest keeps others a lot safer, makes me less of a threat, than most people's delusions of altruism.

If I cared more about other people, I'd be outside trying to save the world from systematic oppression by shooting police and setting fire to physical representations of the governments that employ them. Fortunately for just about everyone, I'm more interested in my own comfort.

It is very possible.

This virus is really vicious. And I would not be surprised if it evolves to attack young people.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

As part of my job, I've had to deal with some of this. I can tell you, I know of one man in his thirties, did triathlons, cycled, fit as a flea. He got it, he died. I spoke to a 92 year old lady, she got it and survived. There is something more going on here than age or fitness.

My own self-interest is why I've only come into contact with anyone I don't live with once in the last five months. It's why I'm doing everything reasonably within my power to keep those I care about from exposing themselves unnecessarily.

I'm never going to have an honest concern for most other people, beyond their utility to me, but my self-interest keeps others a lot safer, makes me less of a threat, than most people's delusions of altruism.

If I cared more about other people, I'd be outside trying to save the world from systematic oppression by shooting police and setting fire to physical representations of the governments that employ them. Fortunately for just about everyone, I'm more interested in my own comfort.

Well this is one of those occasions when taking steps to protect oneself from the virus also protects everyone else so that's all good then!

Well this is one of those occasions when taking steps to protect oneself from the virus also protects everyone else so that's all good then!

I think It's mostly ignorance and greed that threatens public health and safety, rather than simply prioritization of one's self. I'm not greedy (won't find me fighting over paper products) and I do try to stay informed...which makes me aware that what's good for most people is also in my best interest.

As part of my job, I've had to deal with some of this. I can tell you, I know of one man in his thirties, did triathlons, cycled, fit as a flea. He got it, he died. I spoke to a 92 year old lady, she got it and survived. There is something more going on here than age or fitness.
Blood types? Earlier in the thread I think type O copes better?

That's the problem, everyone acting as if things are normal when we have no idea what the future holds....I'm thinking of getting hazmat suits.

It is the constant worry about the economy that is doing my head in. They seem perfectly happy that some people will die because the economy has to be helped. The economy is supposed to be a tool to improve people’s lives, not some God in the sky you make sacrifices to.

The idea that mitigating COVID-19 is worse for the economy than letting it run rampant is isn't just a fallacy, it's an outright lie perpetuated by those in power.

We are going to look back at the economic and social costs of this pandemic and it's going to be blatantly obvious that areas with more rational containment and mitigation plans lost a lot less money and had to sacrifice fewer freedoms, than those with no plan, or inane plans.

what should have happened is the stock markets all put on hold, money not used to buy things and everything rationed equally and delivered by the army. Sadly humanity sucks.

what should have happened is the stock markets all put on hold, money not used to buy things and everything rationed equally and delivered by the army. Sadly humanity sucks.

That would just mean a flourishing black market. Brainless toilet paper hoarders gonna hoard.

2OjPy6f.jpg

Maybe not so funny these days...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom