The unofficial sequels to the official Elite Dangerous Novels

Fantastic work M. Lehman.

I am just about to commence my first chunk of time away from work in 2020, so I’ll have time to get my reading goggles on!

Good to have something positive ELITE related to dig into 👍🏻

I was once an extra in a movie, I had two roles, one of my roles was short as I was killed off and my head thrown into a bowl of punch at a Halloween party. The other role I was dressed as a horrific clown in a background scene.

When I finally saw the finished movie, there was another actor doing my part as the Clown for the first half of the film. I was annoyed at first as it was adult content 😂 But, it’s just a movie, so I don’t really care...

o7

@Phisto Sobanii Im asking Matt.

I assume when Drew wrote his books he contacted everyone and every group he wanted to add to his book, @drew am I correct in this assumption?

Have you read Drew's books, especially Premonition? There are a lot of names and groups in it. Considering how much time he had between the end of the Premonition event and actually shipping the book I can say with very high confidence he probably didn't talk to everyone.

I'll also point out Harry Potter, despite having a crucial role in the plot and having that name in game, isn't in Drew's book under that name. He is under his forum name, Beseiger. Make of that what you will.

@Phisto Sobanii Im asking Matt.

I assume when Drew wrote his books he contacted everyone and every group he wanted to add to his book, @drew am I correct in this assumption?
How many writers use copyrighted characters for not for profit fiction and this is accepted as normal practice in fan fiction? Do a Google search- some of the stuff that's written is completely against the original character. That's before we get into what's in some of the slash fics.

Complaining about the portrayal of a non-copywritten character in an unofficial work of not for profit fiction? You're going nowhere with this tangent.

@Phisto Sobanii Oh yes, I have read @drew 's work, fantastic writer, im pretty sure that he contacted people; I know more than a couple people in his books and naturally excited about their inclusion they mentioned he had contacted them at the time.

For the record regarding Harry; The reason he is refered to as Beseiger is because Drew couldnt use some one else's intellectual property, which is essentially the crux of my question for matt.

@Phisto Sobanii Oh yes, I have read @drew 's work, fantastic writer, im pretty sure that he contacted people; I know more than a couple people in his books and naturally excited about their inclusion they mentioned he had contacted them at the time.

For the record regarding Harry; The reason he is refered to as Beseiger is because Drew couldnt use some one else's intellectual property, which is essentially the crux of my question for matt.

We'll see if Drew addresses that.

Regarding Harry, yes I know. That was my point: your question is not the same.

Especially Kancro Vantas, about the way he would be described in the book. Could hurt feelings if not. It's a game after all.

The vast majority of commanders in the book knew that they would be in it- and those who didn't were the ones who proved difficult to contact in the first place when we were playing the diplomacy metagame. Also, their roles were bit parts at the very most; I felt that certain people deserved a mention for being central to the conflict but didn't want to step on any toes.

I don't feel that it's appropriate to name names or get into private specifics, but I will say that all portrayals are strictly from characters' perspectives, not those of real-life players. Due to the nature of storytelling perspective and BGS conflict, some commanders are portrayed as antagonists. However, I sought to minimize the potential for any ruffled feathers by having an in-game NPC do the heavy lifting in terms of speaking on behalf of the opposing side.

All that being said, it should go without saying that our in-game adversaries aren't the subjects of real-life ill will, and never were- it's only a game, after all!

Last edited:
Top Bottom