ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
So, crew can work multiplayer and with NPC crew, already does for fighters to a degree.
Piracy, can work with NPC dialogue tree and coding.

There you have the nub. Coding. It took them a month to figure out if you'd scanned a planet or not.

Saving the game, granted yes you cannot save progression at different points in a live multiplayer game.
Ironman could certainly work and the discussion had nothing to do with offline or not.

So, 1/4.

The basis of Ironman was that all Ironman players existed in a completely separate "universe". You'd never encounter non-Ironman players ever. So, 2/4. 🤷‍♀️

The DDF had a millions of words of text. The link is in my signature but just checked and the original posts on those don't seem to be reachable from the DDF main page archive. I'll have to take a look at that. FDEV have not made it easy to find these and that is a crying shame.

Thanks for the link! :) I need to re-read and refresh my memory on all this.

Firstly, sorry for the late reply – it has been a busy week!

As I said, I will give you what news I have, be that good or bad, when I have it as I feel that is fair.

The short answer, I am afraid, is I have no other news that what was stated in the previous post: Odyssey will not support VR at launch.

However, I wanted to add some context to this in the hope this will provide some understanding of what that means.

Firstly, we have no intentions of removing VR, or support for it in Elite Dangerous.

With regards to the Odyssey statement, there are as you can imagine, a multitude of factors in play when looking at how the VR experience could transfer to the new mechanics and features being implemented for this expansion. Hence why it will not be supported at launch.

We are exploring many options of how this could work without compromising the quality of the VR experience.

If / when we can find a way of doing this, we will of course communicate that.

I understand the desire from the VR community and I am listening to you.

I will of course come back when I have more information on this.

-Arf
You're becoming my favorite CM. Keep up the good fight! No one wants a compromise one way or the other. I think we're all excited to see what Odyssey will hold, but that it is done well, without compromise, is paramount.

Deleted member 121570

D
You're becoming my favorite CM. Keep up the good fight! No one wants a compromise one way or the other. I think we're all excited to see what Odyssey will hold, but that it is done well, without compromise, is paramount.

Speak for yourself. I'm not remotely excited about it. From my perspective, if it doesn't support VR letting me fly my damn ship like I do now, I'm not installing it. Couldn't care less about legs. It's about as exciting as a wet fart.

There you have the nub. Coding. It took them a month to figure out if you'd scanned a planet or not.

The basis of Ironman was that all Ironman players existed in a completely separate "universe". You'd never encounter non-Ironman players ever. So, 2/4. 🤷‍♀️

Thanks for the link! :) I need to re-read and refresh my memory on all this.
one quibble, if you died in Ironman you would be placed into the main game in non-ironman mode as I recall. So, Ironman could be viewed like PS4 vs. Xbox vs. PC today, we all share the BGS but can't play together.

Deleted member 121570

D
If you don't care about legs, then you don't really need the expansion. Don't buy it. Keep playing the game you have.

How remarkably prescient of you, to know already everything that the expansion will involve, and whether or not I'll need it, or indeed what I should do.
I think I'll treat your assumed clairvoyance with the disdain it deserves, and ignore your suggestion.
I already own the crap. I'm just not intending to install it, if I can't fly a ship in VR.

Speak for yourself. I'm not remotely excited about it. From my perspective, if it doesn't support VR letting me fly my damn ship like I do now, I'm not installing it. Couldn't care less about legs. It's about as exciting as a wet fart.

I don't understand why the VR community is freaking out about VR support with regards to the existing aspects of the game (maybe I am misinterpreting your concern).

They have made it clear that there won't be VR support for Odessey at launch, but I think it is an overreaction to expect that VR support will be removed from flight.

From Arthur Tolmie above, "Firstly, we have no intentions of removing VR, or support for it in Elite Dangerous." This leads me to believe that the VR experience will remain intact for flight. Otherwise, it would be a removal...

How remarkably prescient of you, to know already everything that the expansion will involve, and whether or not I'll need it, or indeed what I should do.
I think I'll treat your assumed clairvoyance with the disdain it deserves, and ignore your suggestion.
I already own the crap. I'm just not intending to install it, if I can't fly a ship in VR.
Just going by what you've written. If you didn't mean it, don't write it.

I don't understand why the VR community is freaking out about VR support with regards to the existing aspects of the game (maybe I am misinterpreting your concern).

They have made it clear that there won't be VR support for Odessey at launch, but I think it is an overreaction to expect that VR support will be removed from flight.

From Arthur Tolmie above, "Firstly, we have no intentions of removing VR, or support for it in Elite Dangerous." This leads me to believe that the VR experience will remain intact for flight. Otherwise, it would be a removal...
No support means no support, the rest is just assumptions on your part.

We can't assume that. To quote Arf on that specific point:

I am pushing for answers on the specifics - but I can only give you what I have when it comes in.

-Arf

He'll let us know when he knows, which is all we can ask.

They said no VR support For Odessey at launch.

You could be right, but it doesn't really make sense that they would have to scrap VR for anyone who downloads the expansion.
I genuinely don't understand what you mean. If there's no VR support For Odyssey at launch then there wont be any VR for Odyssey at launch.

(While noting Arf will let us know specifics when he can)

edit - Base and Horizons will keep VR though

I genuinely don't understand what you mean. If there's no VR support For Odyssey at launch then there wont be any VR for Odyssey at launch.

^^^This.
So if you want VR you can play the base game or Horizons, with none of the new stuff, in the same way that Mac users can still play the base game with one of the Horizons content.

Yup, that's the way I am seeing it. I very much doubt they will have a portion of the expansion VR capable.

Last edited:
This is what I meant. VR will not be supported for the experiences that Odessey brings e.g. first person activities. I see no reason why they would scrap VR for the base game or vehicular activities in general (SRV).

Of course, we don't know anything for sure, but the language put forth so far leads me to believe that the base game and Horizons should be fine.

Firstly, sorry for the late reply – it has been a busy week!

As I said, I will give you what news I have, be that good or bad, when I have it as I feel that is fair.

The short answer, I am afraid, is I have no other news that what was stated in the previous post: Odyssey will not support VR at launch.

However, I wanted to add some context to this in the hope this will provide some understanding of what that means.

Firstly, we have no intentions of removing VR, or support for it in Elite Dangerous.

With regards to the Odyssey statement, there are as you can imagine, a multitude of factors in play when looking at how the VR experience could transfer to the new mechanics and features being implemented for this expansion. Hence why it will not be supported at launch.

We are exploring many options of how this could work without compromising the quality of the VR experience.

If / when we can find a way of doing this, we will of course communicate that.

I understand the desire from the VR community and I am listening to you.

I will of course come back when I have more information on this.

-Arf
Hi Arf

Thanks for the update. I understand why the First Person part isn't VR capable at launch, but...

Have the team thought about adding a separate client for people that own both Horizons and Odyssey. They can call it Horizons plus. This client would allow players to fly and drive in their SRVs on all the planets available to those expansions in VR, but the legs part is disabled. If they want the First Person play, they would have to log out and remove their headset and launch in 2D mode in the Odyssey Client.

Deleted member 121570

D
Just going by what you've written. If you didn't mean it, don't write it.

Except you weren't - so I'm gonna assume that you're one of those people who just like to keep telling others what to do. It's not really amusing or effective though, fwiw.

You are sorta misunderstanding, at least in relation to my post (as a member of the VR community). I fully understand the existing base game & horizons will continue to be available in VR. However Odyssey won't, cos FDev admit they can't work out how to do this properly. Therefore the next update will not feature VR. At that point, the latest iteration of the game will no longer support VR. Odyssey won't just be legs - it'll just be next iteration of the game, and that legs will be a part of it. The whole thing though won't have VR - legs, ships, everything.

Now, they might say "at launch", but the possibility is very real (as shown in Arthur's own post..."if / when") that this won't ever arrive.
Given they're planning to release an update that doesn't include VR at launch when their existing product and older stuff dating back years does - any faith placed that it'll ever arrive in later versions of the game is probably delusional. If they can't do it for launch, why should anyone believe they'll put any effort at all into doing it afterwards and they've sold the units already?

I can imagine, but it's sad to. It demonstrates failure, and going public with that failure also seems a sad chapter in the development of ED.
Personally, I don't care about the excuses or reasons for justification of that failure. I'm not really interested either in any 'specifics' to follow that might explain further the failure of the team to produce ongoing VR support within future iterations of the game. Even worse though - it's not even just the failure to work out how to implement VR in the new mechanics, but the failure to retain it within the existing mechanics carried over from the existing game chapters into the new iterations - the stuff like flying ships and doing the types of things we do now - without having to run a different version of the game.

Frankly, that's just 'giving up'. They need to sort this out and stop with the sucking already.

I do understand that they might still sell shedloads of copies to the pancake market. Technically though, it's already a failure before it's launched if this stays the way it goes.

I am pushing for answers on the specifics - but I can only give you what I have when it comes in.

-Arf

Do you know any information about character's gameplay? Can i walk inside my ship? can I leave the ship on any planet I can land on? Can i leave out my ship when i'm in space? something about gameplay?) or am I asking these questions the wrong way??))))
P.S.: sry for my bad english)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom