ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'm actually sad about this - kinda wish they were forcing an upgrade, would mean the tech had advanced in terms of graphics.

Or... actually... it could just mean it's poorly optimised - I doubt that though, FD have lways been very good with presentation
Maybe the new technology uses better algorithms that make better use of current hardware.

Like a graphics card for many years receives many new drivers.

Strong improvements are possible with new technology. Look at the different versions of operating systems and other apps and games, with the same hardware.

Of course that won’t prevent from buying new hardware to enjoy even more this new technology, I guess.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Hmm, good points.

On the one hand, it would be good to keep my current config without having to splash the cash on new components... but then again, with 10tth gen i9's like the 10900K, the Ryzen 3990X and the upcoming RTX3080ti, it would be great to see ED's next iteration make use of the tech.
Like a good wine remains a good wine with a normal meal, but is even better if it is accompanied by better food. ;)

After it is a affair of bank account. 🤑

And don’t forget the screen. There will always be better than your current screen ...

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Deleted member 110222

D
I'm actually sad about this - kinda wish they were forcing an upgrade, would mean the tech had advanced in terms of graphics.

Or... actually... it could just mean it's poorly optimised - I doubt that though, FD have lways been very good with presentation
Imagine saying we should be forcing upgrades in 2020, when the economy has been savaged by so many factors that it's almost the stuff of thriller novels.

Dude, get over it. We're in a time where we need to preserve what we have, and not flagrantly toss it aside. And yes, I am outright calling a games console important right now as for a lot of people, those things have been pretty much all the leisure they had as they were locked inside for the safety of everyone, including yourself.

I'd let go of this dream of your games not having to consider consoles, because consoles are never going anywhere now.

I like @-VR- Max Factor 's suggestion of a Horizons Plus client for VR players, as I suspect that VR isn't available at all for Odyssey, at launch at least, due to there being heavy in ship game play that can't leave VR users isolated from NPCs or players.

Imagine saying we should be forcing upgrades in 2020, when the economy has been savaged by so many factors that it's almost the stuff of thriller novels.

Dude, get over it. We're in a time where we need to preserve what we have, and not flagrantly toss it aside. And yes, I am outright calling a games console important right now as for a lot of people, those things have been pretty much all the leisure they had as they were locked inside for the safety of everyone, including yourself.

I'd let go of this dream of your games not having to consider consoles, because consoles are never going anywhere now.

I am very sorry I appear to have made you angry.
Get the kettle on or something.

Thankfully a mutual feeling. I'm glad you at least appear to have learned to express your own opinion on your own behalf rather than thinking you can speak for others.

Keep up the good work!
Oh no, you have it all wrong. The ED community of fans who believe in the vision DB set back during the Kickstarter are excited for space legs.

I hear the community of wet farters is not excited to see execution on the original ED vision. I can’t speak for them, though.

Firstly, we have no intentions of removing VR, or support for it in Elite Dangerous.

With regards to the Odyssey statement, there are as you can imagine, a multitude of factors in play when looking at how the VR experience could transfer to the new mechanics and features being implemented for this expansion. Hence why it will not be supported at launch.

We are exploring many options of how this could work without compromising the quality of the VR experience.

If / when we can find a way of doing this, we will of course communicate that.

I am pushing for answers on the specifics - but I can only give you what I have when it comes in.

-Arf

Haven't been on the forums in a while, but just wanted to take a moment to say that you've been fantastic, and I really appreciate the work you're doing. Your answers about VR so far have quelled a lot of the concerns that I had. I only play this game in VR, so before your work I was definitely concerned about my ability to play in the future. I feel a whole lot better now.

Thank you!

Deleted member 121570

D
Oh no, you have it all wrong. The ED community of fans who believe in the vision DB set back during the Kickstarter are excited for space legs.

I hear the community of wet farters is not excited to see execution on the original ED vision. I can’t speak for them, though.

Uh, OK.
🤷‍♂️

I think you're wrong. I think, as shown by many voices in this thread, that plenty of folks are rather annoyed about probably losing VR from future iterations in order to add legs.

I'm kinda done with the back and forth with you though. I'll leave you to your visions.

Ironman mode.
Multiple saves.
The way piracy was supposed to work.
Anything really to do with crew.

Just off the top of my head. I don't have access to the threads any more - think they've probably been deleted.

Ironman Mode could be done multiplayer no problem.
It would probly be pretty mad to try and use it, one gank, start again!
But that's kind of the point of iron man modes, they are for nutters.

Multiple saves? Could totally be done! - this'd just be a character select at the start of the game, like in a billion other "MMO's"
It's pretty sad this doesn't exist.

I don't know how piracy was supposed to work so can't comment here.

What about crew can't be done in multiplayer?

With regards to the Odyssey statement, there are as you can imagine, a multitude of factors in play when looking at how the VR experience could transfer to the new mechanics and features being implemented for this expansion. Hence why it will not be supported at launch.
While it is obvious that space legs introduce a lot of new gameplay mechanics, none of these should alter the experience of sitting in the chair of a cockpit or SRV. If the Odyssey DLC disables VR globally, i.e. even in cockpit/SRV mode, it will be a tough sell. Just saying.

Firstly, sorry for the late reply – it has been a busy week!

As I said, I will give you what news I have, be that good or bad, when I have it as I feel that is fair.

The short answer, I am afraid, is I have no other news that what was stated in the previous post: Odyssey will not support VR at launch.

However, I wanted to add some context to this in the hope this will provide some understanding of what that means.

Firstly, we have no intentions of removing VR, or support for it in Elite Dangerous.

We are exploring many options of how this could work without compromising the quality of the VR experience.

If / when we can find a way of doing this, we will of course communicate that.

I understand the desire from the VR community and I am listening to you.

I will of course come back when I have more information on this.

-Arf
Arf, sincerely thank you.

I think you're just what the community team needed. It feels like you have asked more questions and have said more to us than most of the others in team and it really feels like you're listening.

You're very much appreciated right now, by me at least.

Thanks!
Appreciate the kind words - thank you!

-Arf
Arf - Thank you... Even though you aren't bringing the (good) news we'd hoped for, I really appreciate the fact you are engaging with us and listening to us, and doing the digging to get the info to enable you to answer our questions, this is a really refreshing and completely positive change.

1. I'd like to think that the rest of your CM team are taking notes on how you are conducting yourself and by actively engaging with the community, you are winning the hearts and minds campaign, and as such are getting praised and thanked for bringing us (VR players) the "bad news". And I hope they intend to follow this shining example of active community management by "engaging with the community".
  2. If I may be as bold as to make a suggestion? (Who am I kidding, I "scrub up" by using autosol metal polish on my 69%Cu+30%Zn+1%Sn "Admiralty Brass" neck)
    • You appear to be stepping into the role of intermediary between the VR segment of the community...
    • You seem to be inferring that VR "not at launch" in this case actually means that not corp speak for "not happening buy we ain't got the minerals to admit that to you"
    • Your credible enough that I believe you when you say you are working on the specifics, which makes me think you are actually discussing this with the developers / decision makers?
    • We VR players have typed probably bordering a gigabyte on VR in Odyssey including some vitriol, some Laconic Satire, and some very well thought out proposals and lists of compromises we would and wouldn't accept - and we have a few "ring leaders" / "campaign organisers"
    • All those points make me think that there would be mileage in bringing "one of us" into those conversations I deduce you are having internally?
      • Maybe run a forum election for a VR rep - for example by a new instantly locked sticky thread in VR subforum explaining this thread is to elect a VR rep to represent the VR community in discussions with the devs to try and find a mutually acceptable and workable "middle ground"
        • This would then have half a dozen "like this post to vote for Teatime / Golgot / Max Factor", one for each "candidate"
    • I'm cool with the fact that I'm probably excluded from this hypothetical nomination process for being so outspoken / obnoxious😈 - meh. 🙄😄
And talking about me being somewhat outspoken, now its been mentioned..... @Bruce Garrido @Stephen Benedetti @Tim Smith - Y'all can / should learn a lot from Arf - we expect a lot more from our CM's than the odd post you do submit containing nothing more than deflections like "more info nearer launch" and almost total radio silence between patch notes.
  • Heres a tip for you, we are in this forum because we want to be won over, if we were just out to flame the game we'd take to steam and trash talk the game in a venue where you don't have an army of white knight moderators leaping to your defence & locking / deleting the more controversial threads.
  • Also, you guys should note that Arf has, seemingly on his own, has made more of a positive impact in six weeks on than y'all combined in 6 months.
    • If y'all had a hand in his meteoric rise in our estimations, you could do a lot worse than communicate that to us, the community you are employed to engage with.
    • If Y'all have just been sitting on the sidelines, and think your job is to lob the odd hand grenade into the forum between patch notes and a stream or two a week, perhaps you need to re-evaluate your career choices? I hear Tescos are recruiting.

Arf - Thank you... Even though you aren't bringing the (good) news we'd hoped for, I really appreciate the fact you are engaging with us and listening to us, and doing the digging to get the info to enable you to answer our questions, this is a really refreshing and completely positive change.

1. I'd like to think that the rest of your CM team are taking notes on how you are conducting yourself and by actively engaging with the community, you are winning the hearts and minds campaign, and as such are getting praised and thanked for bringing us (VR players) the "bad news". And I hope they intend to follow this shining example of active community management by "engaging with the community".
  2. If I may be as bold as to make a suggestion? (Who am I kidding, I "scrub up" by using autosol metal polish on my 69%Cu+30%Zn+1%Sn "Admiralty Brass" neck)
    • You appear to be stepping into the role of intermediary between the VR segment of the community...
    • You seem to be inferring that VR "not at launch" in this case actually means that not corp speak for "not happening buy we ain't got the minerals to admit that to you"
    • Your credible enough that I believe you when you say you are working on the specifics, which makes me think you are actually discussing this with the developers / decision makers?
    • We VR players have typed probably bordering a gigabyte on VR in Odyssey including some vitriol, some Laconic Satire, and some very well thought out proposals and lists of compromises we would and wouldn't accept - and we have a few "ring leaders" / "campaign organisers"
    • All those points make me think that there would be mileage in bringing "one of us" into those conversations I deduce you are having internally?
      • Maybe run a forum election for a VR rep - for example by a new instantly locked sticky thread in VR subforum explaining this thread is to elect a VR rep to represent the VR community in discussions with the devs to try and find a mutually acceptable and workable "middle ground"
        • This would then have half a dozen "like this post to vote for Teatime / Golgot / Max Factor", one for each "candidate"
    • I'm cool with the fact that I'm probably excluded from this hypothetical nomination process for being so outspoken / obnoxious😈 - meh. 🙄😄
And talking about me being somewhat outspoken, now its been mentioned..... @Bruce Garrido @Stephen Benedetti @Tim Smith - Y'all can / should learn a lot from Arf - we expect a lot more from our CM's than the odd post you do submit containing nothing more than deflections like "more info nearer launch" and almost total radio silence between patch notes.
  • Heres a tip for you, we are in this forum because we want to be won over, if we were just out to flame the game we'd take to steam and trash talk the game in a venue where you don't have an army of white knight moderators leaping to your defence & locking / deleting the more controversial threads.
  • Also, you guys should note that Arf has, seemingly on his own, has made more of a positive impact in six weeks on than y'all combined in 6 months.
    • If y'all had a hand in his meteoric rise in our estimations, you could do a lot worse than communicate that to us, the community you are employed to engage with.
    • If Y'all have just been sitting on the sidelines, and think your job is to lob the odd hand grenade into the forum between patch notes and a stream or two a week, perhaps you need to re-evaluate your career choices? I hear Tescos are recruiting.
This all seems to hang on whether community managers have any autonomy over their professional actions. Was wicked Will Flanagan withholding information while cackling wildly, or has the unusual occurance of a paid DLC meant that Frontier have decided they better at least look like they are trying to engage once again?

Arthur (my liege) has rode into town on a white charger, but while being sympathetic hasn't actually any new news as he acknowledges himself. The July community update (news of jam tomorrow, tomorrow) was far too familiar for me to be searching for the bunting yet.

Uh, OK.
🤷‍♂️

I think you're wrong. I think, as shown by many voices in this thread, that plenty of folks are rather annoyed about probably losing VR from future iterations in order to add legs.

I'm kinda done with the back and forth with you though. I'll leave you to your visions.
We don't know that is what's going to happen yet. No point in being annoyed about something that may or may not happen. Seems a bit pointless to me.

I think you are both arguing over something which need not be an issue. ED came out on PC initially and I think it is shocking when developers gimp a high end pc because of low end consoles like the vanilla Xbox 1 or low end pcs barely capable of playing a game.

OTOH that said even the vanilla Xbox IS capable of doing anything that a high end is capable of WITH Devs looking at detail settings.

One of the strengths of PC is the ability to configure details to cover every range of hardware (with presets to give a quick hassle free way of getting a close to optimised experience).

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom