a new project: Elite slow

In my opinion, making money is far to easy in the game and taking away of the anticipation of saving up for a new ship.

So I'm thinking about restarting, and taking it slow by
  • avoiding illegal activities
  • avoiding all credit rushes like big money trit loops, only trade and missions
  • using only 10% of the money earned to buy new ships and equipment
The plan is to focus on exploration and passenger transport.
How long will it take to buy and equip a Dolphin you think?

My friend's been playing the game less than a week and racked up about 6 million in exploration data while flying ships with subpar FSDs.
Dolphin should be easy as cake.

Yoohoo, just made my first paycheck ! ! !

1st pay.jpg

scanned some systems on the way though and scooped stuff up.

1st carto.jpg

1st scoop.jpg

no other missions in this system, so onward

o7 commanders

Last edited:
Ok, ran into some problems already.
Leaving Pilot's Federation from Sharur, only empty systems in front of me. Scanned them but couldn't sell the data.
Picked up two nice cargo missions at LTT 8456 but on accepting the cargo the destination became out of reach.
So I had to accept a courier mission to Ehecatl, that would bring in 100 kCr, but for sure the destination was far out. Took me 20 minutes indeed. 🧐
Installed the 2D FSD drive that put the trade destination in jump range again.

Invested nearly 7 kCr so 70k credits goes in the iron bank.

Its almost impossible not to make money if you know what youre doing, 10% on ships seems very harsh but with current payouts probaby realistic for the challenge.

Do the opposite, spend 99% on the ship and 1% on the cargo and fly without rebuy, then it actually matters, well in so far as pixels matter.

Installed 1D power distributor, 2D power plant and 1C bi-weave shield generator, putting the jump rage slightly over 11 ly.
Was looking for a 1D shield generator, but these are pretty rare it seems.
On the next stop, installed 1D life support and 2D thrusters, jump range now around 12 ly.
Now saving up for a better FSD.

Its almost impossible not to make money if you know what youre doing, 10% on ships seems very harsh but with current payouts probaby realistic for the challenge.

Do the opposite, spend 99% on the ship and 1% on the cargo and fly without rebuy, then it actually matters, well in so far as pixels matter.

There's a thought. I could also pick the sidewinder instead of, well the sidewinder I'm flying now...

Last station only had one mission, so after careful selection, I picked that one.
Answered a distress call, some lady in an AspX ran out of fuel. Rich people eh, what you gonna do. :rolleyes:
Anyway, she was awfully grateful - no not that grateful - and gave me a bit of money for my trouble.

Been helping out the monks at Whit's Station and finally made enough money to equip the Sidy with a fuel scoop and a 2B FSD.
Was going to save up for a DSS, but can't wait any longer. I have thrown off the shackles of capitalism, I am my own man now and I'll go where the solar winds and the back ground radiation will take me.
Wish me luck guys, I'm off exploring.

I don't have that problem.

I have been playing since beta. I think its all the credits ive lost randomly during early days was so hard if anyone remembers.

The fact that some are buy credits farming services for cash online is a big issue

Too late, I'm in da black. Well, near the edge of the bubble anyway. I will take the DSS first, then the 2A FSD.
Made nearly 2 MCr exploring, still in my Sidewinder D-rated except for the 2B FSD, with an extra fuel tank.
Probably buy that DSS tomorrow and than the big bucks start to roll in. :cool:
After several hours of play I'm a harmless, peddling surveyor.
Got an invitation from Felicity though!

Last edited:
Woke up this morning, first thing on my mind: getting that DSS today ! ! !
This game is much more fun in slow mode: setting aside 10 Cr for every Cr invested in the ship.
Found out you can get a 1D shield generator, but you would have to go way out to get it. Did you know that? I never knew that.
I appreciate the Sidewinder much more: it is a capable little ship. Had 2 2E cargo racks in it and did cargo missions.
Considered the Eagle because it has more cargo roam. Did you know that? I never knew that.
With the Felicity invite, I'm scanning emissions and scooping their contents because I don't have collector limpets.

Anyway, I'm going to get that DSS today.
And then either the Hauler or the Adder. But probably not today.

Last edited:
Right on Brother!
Don't you mean, "Well done, Comrade!"? ;)

Nice one, Cohen. I've propounded the idea of FDev adding profiles so this is an easier task to undertake. Keep your main and add an alt or two for specific purposes. In Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO), you get 5 'slots' in which to create characters, it would be a nice addition to Elite. We also had a Slow Levelling Club (SLC) where we created a new alt and all worked an area before moving on. Works well. You really get to know the game well in Slow mode...

To be honest, after the game's release all those years ago, I only made my first Elite rank in June this year by avoiding the exploits and playing the game, not chasing credits. I'm not even worth a Billion credits yet (986m assets! :giggle:). Does that make me and a few others early adopters of the SLC?

Last edited:
In my opinion, making money is far to easy in the game and taking away of the anticipation of saving up for a new ship.

So I'm thinking about restarting, and taking it slow by
  • avoiding illegal activities
  • avoiding all credit rushes like big money trit loops, only trade and missions
  • using only 10% of the money earned to buy new ships and equipment
The plan is to focus on exploration and passenger transport.
How long will it take to buy and equip a Dolphin you think?

Are you/Will you play 'Hardcore' mode from now onwards on this account? I have on my third account. Trouble is you know how to find money, not by mining or other quick money grabbing, but your game experience tells you that if you do this, then this happens, and if this has happened then i can earn more that way etc etc. If i go here then i know that i can earn more/quick money

I long for the Newb Naivety we all had when playing this for the very first time.

Yes i suppose i could go play SC and learn that, you know i might just do that! or i could wait for MS Flightsim 2020 to come out.

Are you/Will you play 'Hardcore' mode from now onwards on this account? I have on my third account. Trouble is you know how to find money, not by mining or other quick money grabbing, but your game experience tells you that if you do this, then this happens, and if this has happened then i can earn more that way etc etc. If i go here then i know that i can earn more/quick money

I long for the Newb Naivety we all had when playing this for the very first time.

Yes i suppose i could go play SC and learn that, you know i might just do that! or i could wait for MS Flightsim 2020 to come out.

I'm sooo old, remember when it was "Right on, Commander!"
This is my only account, so yes this is how I'm going to play it.

Turned in the exploration data for quite a nice sum, so got the DSS, finally.
Looking forward, what's the next step?
  • upgrade to the Hauler. Is that really an upgrade. Sure it's bigger, but is it better?
  • or the Adder. Adder has an extra optional. Do I need an extra optional?
  • equip the Sidewinder with an 2A FSD and replace the fuel tank with an SRV hangar? Losing the fuel tank would seriously reduce the total jump range though.
Scooped some manufactured materials, but I need an SRV for the raw materials. So it's probably going to be an Adder.

Am I wrong?

Last edited:
My friend's been playing the game less than a week and racked up about 6 million in exploration data while flying ships with subpar FSDs.
Dolphin should be easy as cake.

This is utter madness, money shouldn't be this easy. Its damaged the game, all the good early challenges and feeling of natural progression are gone.

Easy money is now expected the forum lights up when any fixes installed to return to normal earns are put in place

Come on fdev sort your s...t out

This is utter madness, money shouldn't be this easy. Its damaged the game, all the good early challenges and feeling of natural progression are gone.

Easy money is now expected the forum lights up when any fixes installed to return to normal earns are put in place

Come on fdev sort your s...t out
It's just a game tbqh

It's just a game tbqh

To you and me perhaps. But not to cmdr Cohen.
And not to FDev either, it's their job.
They could do a better job.

After comparing the builds, just included the links in my previous post, I decided to go for the Hauler. It has a bigger fuel tank, so doesn't need an extra and I can transplant all the equipment from the Sidewinder.
The Adder is also nice, but the extra optional slot is only useful when going into the black with an AFMU.

Got an invite from Felicity and can't keep a lady waiting. Should have gone in de Sidewinder.

Last edited:
Top Bottom