ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
We don't know that is what's going to happen yet. No point in being annoyed about something that may or may not happen. Seems a bit pointless to me.
I dunno it sounds pretty likely to me that VR in odyssey is not happening. I would give a fair bit to be wrong. The only reason I am still here asking for it (because I know people who are not interested in VR and are happy to see it go so Devs don't waste time on it find it annoying - People like unikorn make that very clear)
Is that FD do have form for re-evaluating features if people moan loud enough.

I am less dissapointed than I was fortunately I am being won over by star wars squadrons despite being largely PvP and I don't like PvP.

But ED is about to go from an incredible industry leading experience to a grindy generic game with free 2 play mechanics and that still makes me sad/angry.
(And yes i will still have horizons but I won't have those new iceplanets etc which FD used as a carrot to string me along for 3 years.

I dunno it sounds pretty likely to me that VR in odyssey is not happening. I would give a fair bit to be wrong. The only reason I am still here asking for it (because I know people who are not interested in VR and are happy to see it go so Devs don't waste time on it find it annoying - People like unikorn make that very clear)
Is that FD do have form for re-evaluating features if people moan loud enough.
He was talking about any future expansions. We don't know whats going to happen in the future.

I am less dissapointed than I was fortunately I am being won over by star wars squadrons despite being largely PvP and I don't like PvP.
I'm disappointed, but if the expansions looks good, I will likely get it as I can happily play in 2D mode. Star Wars squadrons does look good, but its a somewhat limited game. Its a space shoot-em up, which I may get and play, but I can't see it replacing ED.

But ED is about to go from an incredible industry leading experience to a grindy generic game with free 2 play mechanics and that still makes me sad/angry.
(And yes i will still have horizons but I won't have those new iceplanets etc which FD used as a carrot to string me along for 3 years.
I wouldn't call the VR Implementation as industry leading, it was a very basic implementation. As to grindy free to play mechanics, it isn't like that now, and I haven't seen any evidence of it in the expansion. I have no idea why you think that is the case.

He was talking about any future expansions. We don't know whats going to happen in the future.

I'm disappointed, but if the expansions looks good, I will likely get it as I can happily play in 2D mode. Star Wars squadrons does look good, but its a somewhat limited game. Its a space shoot-em up, which I may get and play, but I can't see it replacing ED.

I wouldn't call the VR Implementation as industry leading, it was a very basic implementation. As to grindy free to play mechanics, it isn't like that now, and I haven't seen any evidence of it in the expansion. I have no idea why you think that is the case.
The vr implementation IS basic but imo the experience is industry leading, nothing else comes close imo. I see the implementation and the experience as 2 different albeit related things.

As for the mechanics. Agree to disagree on that. Whilst I love the core game as much as I always did..... I have always felt the way materials gathering works and the adding of new different currencies (credits, various materials, data, and now arx which are separate and NOT purchasable with credits) IS classic free to play design. To each their own however.

(And btw instill enjoy doing even those things in VR, but I have tried it not in VR to see if I am mistaken but sadly it just felt "meh" to me on a screen.)

The vr implementation IS basic but imo the experience is industry leading, nothing else comes close imo. I see the implementation and the experience as 2 different albeit related things.

As for the mechanics. Agree to disagree on that. Whilst I love the core game as much as I always did..... I have always felt the way materials gathering works and the adding of new different currencies (credits, various materials, data, and now arx) IS classic free to play mechanics. To each their own however.

(And btw instill enjoy doing even those things in VR, but I have tried it not in VR to see if I am mistaken but sadly it just felt "meh" to me on a screen.)

I have swapped in and out of VR depending on season - if it is too hot (summer), VR is on the shelf, SLI is on and I play on an ultra-wide screen. It is nice to get all the pretty effects back and the higher resolution. But it is so flat...

:D S

That's true and hopefully that won't change.

As for the mechanics. Agree to disagree on that. Whilst I love the core game as much as I always did..... I have always felt the way materials gathering works and the adding of new different currencies (credits, various materials, data, and now arx which are separate and NOT purchasable with credits) IS classic free to play design. To each their own however.
I haven't done any grind to get any of my engineered modules. You only need to grind to get them ASAP which is not needed unless you only want to do PvP, in which case, you probably bought the wrong game. There is nothing grindy about the game unless you impose it upon yourself.

Free to play games sell stuff that gives you an advantage, Arx does not do that. They are cosmetic only. It is just as much free to play mechanic as it was before Arx was introduced.

And btw instill enjoy doing even those things in VR, but I have tried it not in VR to see if I am mistaken but sadly it just felt "meh" to me on a screen.
That's unfortunate for you. I can play without VR and enjoy the game. Yes I prefer VR, obviously, but if I am having a short play session, like 30 mins or so, I don't bother with VR.

I have swapped in and out of VR depending on season - if it is too hot (summer), VR is on the shelf, SLI is on and I play on an ultra-wide screen. It is nice to get all the pretty effects back and the higher resolution. But it is so flat...

:D S
I am envious of you. I have a 70 inch 1080p screen and a 65 inch 4k screen but I just cant play ED on a screen.its possible if i got ED tracker or what ever it is called to get head look back it may help but I doubt I am going to.

That's unfortunate for you. I can play without VR and enjoy the game. Yes I prefer VR, obviously, but if I am having a short play session, like 30 mins or so, I don't bother with VR.
And like sysmon I am envious of you too.

Deleted member 110222

D
I think you are both arguing over something which need not be an issue. ED came out on PC initially and I think it is shocking when developers gimp a high end pc because of low end consoles like the vanilla Xbox 1 or low end pcs barely capable of playing a game.

OTOH that said even the vanilla Xbox IS capable of doing anything that a high end is capable of WITH Devs looking at detail settings.

One of the strengths of PC is the ability to configure details to cover every range of hardware (with presets to give a quick hassle free way of getting a close to optimised experience).
Well thankfully for me... Frontier "gimped" your high-end PC.

Now more people can play. Which is only a good thing.

And talking about me being somewhat outspoken, now its been mentioned..... @Bruce Garrido @Stephen Benedetti @Tim Smith - Y'all can / should learn a lot from Arf - we expect a lot more from our CM's than the odd post you do submit containing nothing more than deflections like "more info nearer launch" and almost total radio silence between patch notes.
  • Heres a tip for you, we are in this forum because we want to be won over, if we were just out to flame the game we'd take to steam and trash talk the game in a venue where you don't have an army of white knight moderators leaping to your defence & locking / deleting the more controversial threads.
  • Also, you guys should note that Arf has, seemingly on his own, has made more of a positive impact in six weeks on than y'all combined in 6 months.
    • If y'all had a hand in his meteoric rise in our estimations, you could do a lot worse than communicate that to us, the community you are employed to engage with.
    • If Y'all have just been sitting on the sidelines, and think your job is to lob the odd hand grenade into the forum between patch notes and a stream or two a week, perhaps you need to re-evaluate your career choices? I hear Tescos are recruiting.
Nope, completely unfair to employees you know nothing about, and in particular know nothing about their roles responsibilities and freedom to make comments.

I commend Arf and his attempt to communicate on this topic, but that cannot and should not mean criticising other members of the team.

The vr implementation IS basic but imo the experience is industry leading, nothing else comes close imo.
In my opinion it is worse than X:Rebirth VR, because handcrafted beats procedural any day. IDK what is so defining in Elite that you consider it to be industry leader. Maybe it's the fact that there's no industry to lead, space games died long ago and we just keep the zombies alive for our nostalgic entertainment. XR has better controls (especially on the Rift, sadly no knuckles support) stations look awesome and have lively backdrop of traffic around, handcraftedd backgrounds are amazing in VR. For me that's the defining spaceship experience in VR. Elite with its misleading 400 milliard systems is like NMS - you can basically visit a few systems and you know exactly what to expect around the corner, bar a few notable glitches. That's because procgen can only take you so far.
So, for me it's not a leading industry experience, and the arrival of SW:Sq will further drive it into the ground. Sure, you won't get the 400 milliard empty galaxy feeling, but for the average Joe who isn't into astronomy with hard physics data it's just fluff. Like for me the planet information etc. is just an impediment to find the service types a planetary base offers. It doesn't have any real meaning in game, except maybe planet gravity, which should be indicated on the HUD somewhere anyway... Elite's cool to show to VR newbies tho, but after initial awe of Exiting an Orbis station above the planet, it quickly wears thin.

Odyssey had a chance to change all that. They missed that chance because of greed (wasting time with coasters, dinos and zoos instead of riding the horizons hype releasing pdlcs). So we're back to "jam later", thing is after 5 years my patience has run out.

TL; DR IMHO Elite is not a leading VR industry experience anymore. It maybe was in 2016, we have come far further from that in VR. It's a bit thin still on a space games front, so it's easy to "lead" a party of two (XR and ED) and in my opinion XR is better.

PS: Everspace 2 is maybe shaping to shake the status quo of explorational space games a bit. Sadly no VR as far as I know.

Nope, completely unfair to employees you know nothing about, and in particular know nothing about their roles responsibilities and freedom to make comments.

Especially as Arthur Tolmie is the Lead Community Manager, whereas all the others are CMs. Arthur is absolutely in a different, more senior role, likely with more oversight and autonomy (or arthurtonomie, if you like).

Saying to people "you should do your job more like this guy, who's your boss and gets paid more than you" is pretty cringe.

PS: Everspace 2 is maybe shaping to shake the status quo of explorational space games a bit. Sadly no VR as far as I know.

I had a look at the videos and read the description, it just seems to combat based to make a good exploration game.

Especially as Arthur Tolmie is the Lead Community Manager, whereas all the others are CMs. Arthur is absolutely in a different, more senior role, likely with more oversight and autonomy (or arthurtonomie, if you like).

Saying to people "you should do your job more like this guy, who's your boss and gets paid more than you" is pretty cringe.
Even if it was a security clearance / permission thing associated with "rank", the other CM's could have went through will to "escalate" concerns here, they could just have hung and chatted to bond with the community, like Arthur has, so I remain convinced that the other CM's have been underperforming.

Even if it was a security clearance / permission thing associated with "rank", the other CM's could have went through will to "escalate" concerns here, they could just have hung and chatted to bond with the community, like Arthur has, so I remain convinced that the other CM's have been underperforming.
Well, clearly you know better than them.

Somehow.

Well thankfully for me... Frontier "gimped" your high-end PC.

Now more people can play. Which is only a good thing.
The game assets were modelled to support up to 16k resolution, and those can and are scaled down to suit contemporary hardware, so there is no valid reason to not have the higher resolution models / effects in game and allow potato PC's undersample them. Your argument of "at least more people can play" is fallacious, in as much as having high end settings available does not mean they would be mandatory, yet again you are indulging in myopic misguided misanthropic curmudgeonry.

We are exploring many options of how this could work without compromising the quality of the VR experience.
Thanks Arthur for the update.

Provided the VR render/camera/viewport code hasn't been removed entirely, then I hope one of the options being considered is if a player selects the HMD option to enable VR, then the keybind to get out of the seat and go on foot is disabled as a result. Personally I am quite happy sacrificing my legs experience for one where I can see an alien sunset in the cockpit of my ship (I won't speak for others, but I think you may find many are also happy to have a compromise solution, than none at all).

(Speculation Post) So, from everything we gathered about the update so far, what do you all think the first Dev Diary will entail? I think it will be about missions and the new mission system

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom