Collecting ideas for a alien researcher, archeologist build and rp

Ever since i met a cyclops hovering over a crashed conda i had the idea to make a character and ship build around alien research, archeology. Visiting ruins and alien sites. Collecting samples and artifacts to make money of it. Something like that.

Any ideas, input or ship builds are welcome.

Thanks in advance

If you are not planning on blowing them up, DBX for me, thats a cracking ship. If you decide to go to the Guardians chuck a PD on top๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘.
Good luck, if you haven't yet been in a Thargoid yard, thats really good๐Ÿ™‚
o7

Xeno scanner, wake scanner, research limpets, SRV bay and corrosive cargo racks should cover your bases for any Xeno research game play there is.

I can't follow them but you can collect a scan. Also, the research scanner can take tissue samples from a lot more than just Thargoids.
Well thats interesting. I have to fit one on my ship then. I never used a research limpet, so thats good to know. ๐Ÿ˜€

Ever since i met a cyclops hovering over a crashed conda i had the idea to make a character and ship build around alien research, archeology. Visiting ruins and alien sites. Collecting samples and artifacts to make money of it. Something like that.

Any ideas, input or ship builds are welcome.

Thanks in advance
So are you looking for like a meta alien archaeologist build? Or are you looking for something more of a roleplay?

If you want a solid build for farming guardian Matt's heres a DBX build I use.

If you are looking for a roleplay build I personally would go with a Keelback. To me the canopy gives it a submarine feel and the rotating side thrusters have a sort of exotic experimental feel that you would think would go well with xeno studies.

So are you looking for like a meta alien archaeologist build? Or are you looking for something more of a roleplay?

If you want a solid build for farming guardian Matt's heres a DBX build I use.

If you are looking for a roleplay build I personally would go with a Keelback. To me the canopy gives it a submarine feel and the rotating side thrusters have a sort of exotic experimental feel that you would think would go well with xeno studies.
It is more about rp and fun. But if i can make a few credits while doing so, why not.
The keelback!
I never considered it but now that you say it. Great idea actually. Dbx or Keel.,hmm.
The Keelback can fit a fighter bay right!?
I have unlocked two of the guardian fighters,so it would fit the theme. ๐Ÿค”

Thanks

It is more about rp and fun. But if i can make a few credits while doing so, why not.
The keelback!
I never considered it but now that you say it. Great idea actually. Dbx or Keel.,hmm.
The Keelback can fit a fighter bay right!?
I have unlocked two of the guardian fighters,so it would fit the theme. ๐Ÿค”

Thanks
Yeah that's why I wanted to know. The DBX can do everything better technically but if your going for roleplay I really think the keelback jives more with that. Plus it can get 40+ LY jump range when engineered. Let me see if I can throw together a build real quick.

Take a look at this. I made the sensors and scanners geared more towards long range. My thinking is that a research vessel would probably want to scan things from a distance rather than up close as to observe the specimen without disturbing them. The mining lance I like to use as a roleplay multitool because you can mine with it, use it as a weapon, or "extract" samples. (you cant really but I'd like to think it could be used as a sort of scapel)

EDIT: I just realized I accidentally set the PP to a class 4. It needs to be a class 3 with G5 low emissions with monstered. The FSD and fuel scoop set to priority 2. Sry I'm at work atm and distracted.

Last edited:
Take a look at this. I made the sensors and scanners geared more towards long long range. My thinking is that a research vessel would probably want to scan things from a distance rather than up close as to observe the specimen up close. The mining lance I like use as a roleplay multitool because you can mine with it use it as a weapon or "extract" samples. (you cant really but I'd like to think it could be used as a sort of scapel)

Looks perfect. Only thing i might change is the thrusters. I like to have some extra juice. I will boot up the game and start working on it.

Thanks alot for your effort and ideas. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Next stop Thargoid surface sites.๐Ÿš€
Never visited any but they look very intruiging.

Looks perfect. Only thing i might change is the thrusters. I like to have some extra juice. I will boot up the game and start working on it.

Thanks alot for your effort and ideas. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Next stop Thargoid surface sites.๐Ÿš€
Never visited any but they look very intruiging.
I made an edit to downgrade the PP but if you want better thrusters then my original class 4 will probably do for that. It's only a concept so work it however you feel. Let me know how it turns out when you get done. I actually had fun thinking this up.

I made an edit to downgrade the PP but if you want better thrusters then my original class 4 will probably do for that. It's only a concept so work it however you feel. Let me know how it turns out when you get done. I actually had fun thinking this up.
I will tell you how it went. But i just noticed that have to unlock the corrosive racks. So i might do that first.

I know what you mean. When get bored with the combat or missions i tend put some fun and intresting stuff together. Some worked others not so much but thats part of the fun.

I will tell you how it went. But i just noticed that have to unlock the corrosive racks. So i might do that first.

I know what you mean. When get bored with the combat or missions i tend put some fun and intresting stuff together. Some worked others not so much but thats part of the fun.
Oh yeah I know what your saying. There was one day I was bored and took an asp scout and turned it into a stealth pirate ship. It turns out that's litterly the most fun activity ive done in this game.

Oh yes!
What a coincidence. Thats my second pet project. I've actually made a thread in the general section of the forum today, asking about silent runing. My intention is to make a Millenium Falcon smuggler, pirate ship out of a Phantom. Just like you did with the scout.

So it worked well?

Oh yes!
What a coincidence. Thats my second pet project. I've actually made a thread in the general section of the forum today, asking about silent runing. My intention is to make a Millenium Falcon smuggler, pirate ship out of a Phantom. Just like you did with the scout.

So it worked well?
Oh yeah it worked like a charm. I timed it one day and without moving or anything it can go silent running for almost 12 minutes if I remember correctly. Course when you start moving around its alot shorter than that. Something crazy noone knows about though. Recon and hatchbreaker limpets actually add alot of heat when you use them. I guess this is a nerf they did for some reason. I have no idea why because there is litteraly nothing valuable from pirating installations and megahips but whatever. So yeah remember I said my ship can go around 12 minutes in silent running? Well when I'm using a hatchbreker or recon limpet that number drops to about 45 seconds. Its like they want to force you to use heatsinks. Collector limpets dont have any effect on it though.

Edit: now that I'm thinking about it I am using A rated hatch/recon limpets and the collectors are D rated so maybee there is an increased power draw that's doing it and not actually a heat buff like I thought. Hmm. I'll have to experiment with that. :unsure:

Oh yeah it worked like a charm. I timed it one day and without moving or anything it can go silent running for almost 12 minutes if I remember correctly. Course when you start moving around its alot shorter than that. Something crazy noone knows about though. Recon and hatchbreaker limpets actually add alot of heat when you use them. I guess this is a nerf they did for some reason. I have no idea why because there is litteraly nothing valuable from pirating installations and megahips but whatever. So yeah remember I said my ship can go around 12 minutes in silent running? Well when I'm using a hatchbreker or recon limpet that number drops to about 45 seconds. Its like they want to force you to use heatsinks. Collector limpets dont have any effect on it though.

Edit: now that I'm thinking about it I am using A rated hatch/recon limpets and the collectors are D rated so maybee there is an increased power draw that's doing it and not actually a heat buff like I thought. Hmm. I'll have to experiment with that. :unsure:
So i' ve outfitted the Keelback and went over to the Pleiades for some testing.NHSS for some data and tissue sample. The scouts almost killed me while i was trying to pick up salvage and scan them.๐Ÿค• I had to low wake out. Went to a few high threat ss for samples from Interceptors but got destroyed. They really hate being probed.I have to rethink my approach.๐Ÿค”

Not sure whats the best way to collect samples etc. I mean the ship is pretty fragile. If things go sideways i'am done.

So i' ve outfitted the Keelback and went over to the Pleiades for some testing.NHSS for some data and tissue sample. The scouts almost killed me while i was trying to pick up salvage and scan them.๐Ÿค• I had to low wake out. Went to a few high threat ss for samples from Interceptors but got destroyed. They really hate being probed.I have to rethink my approach.๐Ÿค”

Not sure whats the best way to collect samples etc. I mean the ship is pretty fragile. If things go sideways i'am done.
You can try doing the heatsink approach. Dont go to any NHSS that's below 5 as thats always going to spawn scouts. One thing I originally thought about was maybee you could try getting hyperdicted on purpose. That's why I included a shutdown field neutralizer. That way you could get scans and tissue samples without dealing with scouts. Otherwise the neutralizer isnt useful as the only other time they use the EMP atrack is when they get some hearts blown off.... which isnt gonna happen in a keelback.

Top Bottom